FSA issues advice to public institutions on meat products

• 5 Replies

AccessOfficer

The Food Standards Agency is issuing interim advice to public institutions, such as schools and hospitals, caterers, and consumers purchasing from caterers, in the light of the developing horse meat issue.

http://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2013/feb/advice#.URjGyPLDXnE

Best wishes
AO

lankou

• Charter Member
"The evidence to date does not suggest there is a food safety risk"

I am still waiting for a reply about what about those people who are very badly allergic horse products.
(This is a common allergy which is why adrenaline is always kept nearby when tetanus injections are carried out. Tetanus jabs use a horse product.)

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
"The evidence to date does not suggest there is a food safety risk"

I am still waiting for a reply about what about those people who are very badly allergic horse products.
(This is a common allergy which is why adrenaline is always kept nearby when tetanus injections are carried out. Tetanus jabs use a horse product.)
The old 'ATS' (anti-tetanus serum) used to be made from horse serum and did, as you say lankou, cause a lot of nasty reactions. It hasn't been used for decades now, tetanus vacc is manufactured in a different way. Adrenaline should be on hand when any vaccines are administered as there is always a small chance of the recipient having an anaphyllactic reaction.

lankou

• Charter Member

The old 'ATS' (anti-tetanus serum) used to be made from horse serum and did, as you say lankou, cause a lot of nasty reactions.

That still does not help those who may unwittingly eat horse.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Of course not, lankou, but it does correct a misapprehension regarding tetanus vaccine.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I found this 'horsemeat Q & A' on the BBC news pages - one issue I remember being raised when the scandal first broke was the potential risk posed by a dangerous drug given to horses, and the FSA are apparently going to test for that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21335872