ESA

• 11 Replies

Torre1

• Silver Member

ESA

• on: 17 Feb 2013 02:24PM
Hi Everyone I wonder if you can help this is my first post. I have been on IC for around 10 years I have now just been transferred on to contribution based ESA in the work related activity group. I am in the process of writing asking that they reconsider this. However another concern is in the past my IC has been reduced due to my early retirement pension but they do not seem to have reduced my ESA is this correct.? >confused< Thanks

One Girl and her Big Dog

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Gold Member

Re: ESA

• on: 17 Feb 2013 03:09PM
Hi torre1 & welcome to ouchtoo!

Do you mean you've been on Income Support (IS), or on Incapacity Benefit (IB)?

Are you sure you are on contribution based ESA?  I don't see how that could be the case if you've not worked for the last 10 years.

I'm sure that once you've clarified the above, someone will be able to help.

1G

Torre1

• Silver Member

• on: 17 Feb 2013 03:22PM
Hi Sorry Ive been on Incapacity benefit and the ESA letter defiantly says contribution based employment & support 

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 17 Feb 2013 03:27PM
Hi  :-)

Contribution based WRAG ESA is not a means tested benefit but based on the amount of National Insurance stamps paid before you became too sick or disabled to work.

As far as I understand it if a person paid enough stamps say 10 years ago and so was getting contribution based Incapacity Benefit then the entitlement is transferred to the ESA claim.

I don't know enough about the implications of you early retirement pension but it could be that when you were getting Incapacity Benefit part was contributions based and part was income based ie means tested.

Contributions Based ESA is counted as taxable income though and if you are getting either Tax Credits or a Pension Credit the amount they are paid at may be affected.

Monic1511

• on: 17 Feb 2013 03:59PM
Hi Torre

If your works pension pays you more than 85.00 per week the DWP will deduct half of the excess of any contribution based ESA, so if they have forgotten to do that then give them a call.

The description is If you get a pension of 95/week your ESA is reduced by 5.00 as the excess is 10.00.

It may have been missed in the transfer and since you have noticed it give them a call just to be on the safe side - thats assuming your occupational pension is more than 85.00 per week

Best wishes
Monic

Torre1

• Silver Member

• on: 17 Feb 2013 04:13PM
Hi thanks for that i had a feeling they'd forgotten to deduct my pension .  >crying<

One Girl and her Big Dog

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Gold Member

• on: 17 Feb 2013 04:30PM
Glad others were able to help, and i've learned something too!

I'd assumed that the ESA i'm about to be transfered to would be income based, but if i'm reading this right, my ESA will be contributions based for the first year.  That's a pain for me, as although the amount paid will be exactly the same, I still won't automatically qualify for 'low income' concessions (or Legal aid) - something which I thought would change when I moved to ESA!  1G

Torre1

• Silver Member

• on: 17 Feb 2013 04:46PM
yeah but its time limited only for 365 days

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog

• on: 17 Feb 2013 05:33PM
To my mind, the benefits system is becoming as complicated as the railway fare system!

You're unemployed - Unemployment Benefit.
You're sick (up to 26 weeks) - Sickness Benefit.
You're disabled (or over 26 weeks sick) - Disability Benefit.  (Sick people need sick note every 3 months)
You're working but low paid - Income Support/Tax Credits.

You can't walk over 50 metres - Enhanced Mobility top-up.
You can walk 50-100 metres - Reduced Mobility top-up.

Simples! 

At present it seems to me it's IS, IB, ESA, JSA, ESA WRAG, ESA SG, Working Tax Credit, Contributions based ESA, Non-Contributions Based ESA and a Partridge in a Pear Tree!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

JLRRAC

• on: 23 Feb 2013 01:58PM

Are you sure you are on contribution based ESA?  I don't see how that could be the case if you've not worked for the last 10 years. 1G

OG, I have not worked since my car crash in '89 and if I mind right I hadn't been too clever keeping my NI payments up to date (I was self-employed at the time of the crash) and yet my WRAG is, so far as I'm aware, currently being paid at the contribution rates.

Monic1511

• on: 23 Feb 2013 07:03PM
Hi Folks

its one of the weird effects of the IB to ESA transfer - if you are transferred from income support incapacity benefit and get placed in the wrag ESA you are put on contribution based ESA.  I mean you were on incapacity benefit paid as income support because you hand not paid enough national insurance stamps  >steam<

Monic

bubble

• on: 23 Feb 2013 11:31PM
So if someone has never worked but on IC ben when changed they will be on contribution based, really odd that.