Income support and Direct Payments

• 35 Replies

Fiz

• Charter Member

Re: Income support and Direct Payments

• on: 18 Jul 2013 07:15PM
Very pleased the statements turned up so you don't have to go to any further hassle or expense wrt to them

xSparksx

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

• on: 22 Jul 2013 02:20PM
Wow, when an MP gets the complaints people get involved everything gets sorted out rather quickly!

Phone call today. The decision has been rectified, and I will be getting a letter confirming the correct amount of IS without any deductions. I will also be getting a lump sum of back-dated benefit for the 6 a week that's been taken off (it won't add up to much, but at least I'm getting it!). The woman I spoke to said that it has been fed back to the decision maker that they made the wrong decision.

So it's all over :S it's been going on so long I can hardly believe it! Thank you to everybody who gave me advice and support :)

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 22 Jul 2013 03:05PM
Looks like classic bureaucratic behaviour.

Your complaint goes in at the bottom and has to struggle up the chain of command until it reaches someone prepared to address it. It also has to wait along with all the other low priority requests. It is probably easiest to turn your claim down.

Your MP's complaint goes in at the top and cascades down the chain of command probably with a note attached asking 'What is this about'. someone higher up the chain will intercept it so they can respond to the MP before they get a shirty letter asking what the delay is.

Unless they can show clearly your claim does not comply it is easier to agree if its a grey area or the department has just been inefficient.  >erm<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 22 Jul 2013 03:05PM
Hi Sparks, I am very glad that you finally got this sorted out  >biggrin<  what I am going to say is in no way a 'dig' at you - but - I do think it is totally wrong that things are put right as soon as an MP gets involved. What about the people who have Tory MPs who won't rock the boat? Where do they go for support? Why aren't things done properly the first time? Gggggrrrrr...

xSparksx

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

• on: 22 Jul 2013 04:41PM
'Unless they can show clearly your claim does not comply it is easier to agree if its a grey area or the department has just been inefficient.'

True - but this was black and white. Direct Payments bank accounts are not income and should not be counted as savings or income. Full stop. So the fact that they made the wrong decision and have taken this long to get it right is frustrating - and as Hurtyback says, what about people who don't have sympathetic MPs to help out? As it happened, 6 a week was alright for me, but it won't be for everyone.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 22 Jul 2013 05:26PM
I'm very relieved to read that the DWP finally got their rear into gear and did the right thing eventually, Sparks   >thumbsup<