Night Sweats

• 7 Replies

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

Night Sweats

• on: 19 Mar 2013 12:35AM
As I've been so anxious lately, I've begun to experience night sweats again. I also have periodic difficulties with nocturnal enuresis, and suspect that my waterproof mattress and duvet protectors might be exacerbating the problem.

Does anyone else experience night sweats? I know they'll cease when my anxiety levels drop again, but they are exhausting to deal with. Aside from having a mountain of clean, dry bed linen on hand, several duvets and pillows, and endless hot water for washing, are there any good tips for coping with this problem? Having to sleep in damp bed clothes isn't really doing my overall health any good.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Night Sweats

• on: 19 Mar 2013 09:47AM
How very unpleasant for you, NN, I know about night sweats too  >thumbsdown<

This might be 'telling granny how to suck eggs' - but is your nightwear (and sheets) 100% cotton?  I find with many mixed fibres (especially polyester - yuk!) that perspiring is made much worse...

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 19 Mar 2013 01:04PM
I know this is not going to sound idea but having two light weight duvets instead of one can mean that they are easier to keep fresh because you can air them hanging over a door or on the washing line rather than having to wash the whole thing.

Also I know it would be difficult to make a decision to use something like Tena for the nocturnal enuresis, but it would possibly save not only on washing but also on stress and being woken up needing to sort yourself and the bed out.

Mr Sunshine get a hot head when he sleeps and so his pillowcase can be soggy but as it is a latex pillow and it has a thick polyester cover on it all I have to do is make sure to change the pillowcase and cover and the pillow underneath is okay. He also has two pillows I swop and air them as we do the duvets. They do also get washed but not all the time.

xSparksx

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

• on: 19 Mar 2013 01:17PM
It's an expensive option, but if the night sweats are persistent and long-term you could try bamboo bedding. I used to get night sweats every night (I presumably still do, but I don't feel them/notice them) and it was disrupting my sleep horribly. Somebody suggested bamboo bedding to me, as a fibre which regulates temperature even better than cotton, and wicks away moisture. It's also incredibly soft and smooth, so great for anybody with skin problems. In a year and a half since getting the sheets (I also bought a bamboo duvet, later on), I've woken with night sweats twice. In the six months before that, it was rare that I got through a night without waking up drenched.

Downside: it's expensive. A set of sheets for a double bed cost me about 125. But after a week sleeping in those sheets, I couldn't go back to cotton - I got night sweats again the first night of trying. The other downside is they do take more maintenance than cotton; I find they have to be ironed, and can't really go through the tumble drier.

Obviously if it's a short-term problem this won't help, but I thought I'd throw the info out there for anybody else who's having problems. Apparently they're very good for women going through the menopause, as well :P

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 19 Mar 2013 04:32PM
Something else to add - NN, you are obviously used to getting the night sweats as they are not new to you. However, anyone who has just started getting new night sweats should get checked over by their doctor as they can sometimes be the first sign of significant problems.

Frances

• Charter Member

• on: 19 Mar 2013 07:25PM
Ryan gets them a lot. I presume cos the tumour has wiped out his Pituitary gland his Hormones have to be given in medication as he makes none. Anyway what ever the reason I can have 8 bed changes in 24 hours , The washing machine is on 24/7.
Things that help him are Flannelette bedding I even use flannelette duvet covers as sheets , using 2 at a time over him and 2 under so basically he has 4 layers  under and over him , imagine 8x4= 32 sheets a day to wash and dry YIKES  . Which means the actual duvet is not totally soaking  so doesn't have to be washed daily   It can usual just be aired. My electric bill is HUGE  !
You need to give love to receive it.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 19 Mar 2013 10:39PM
My night sweats are related to my anti-depressants.  Citlopran gives me night sweats, among other things.  But this is one of the more bearable anti-d's.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 27 Mar 2013 07:44AM
Sorry this isn't the most fulsome reply, but am a little fuzzy-headed at the moment. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions and advice >bighugs<