Such a small thing... such a big change (for the better) :0)

• 24 Replies

AndMac

• Charter Member
Instead of a mobility scooter,  I have a trike to keep me mobile, a three wheeled bike. In recent months I've really been struggling with it. The problem was that the gears kept slipping, I couldn't really work out why and spent a long time in near impossible positions for me cleaning and oiling parts.

Also the tyres were a BEEG problem. Try as I might, I couldn't get them fully inflated with the hand pump. This has been a lonnggggg battle all the 10 years I've owned the trike. This hugely affected the speed - under-inflated tyres are so slow.
 Most of my hand pumps weren't up to the task- or I wasn't - and in the past I couldn't get a foot pump adaptor to fit.

More in faint hope than expectation,  I bought a foot pump with screw adaptor from Wilko's the other week and attached a hand pump adaptor to it, having worked out that was what I had to do.
 The foot pump worked like a dream.  >magicfairy<  >angel<

Bingo! Rock - hard tyres again. Yippee!!! >thumbsup< >thumbsup< >thumbsup<

The first time I took the hairpin at the end of the road on the re-inflated tyres, I nearly shot up the opposite pavement. I was so used to hauling the trike around slowly, I forgot just what the optimum top speed was.

Not only that, but with  well - inflated tyres, there is less strain on the gears and the gear slipping problems have resolved.

I was so happy the first time I got home from a trip with my 'new' tyres, I cried.  >crying< but happily   >lol<  I am putting far less stress on my joints as well.  I'm not falling asleep exhausted from shopping trips as in recent months.

I've been looking for excuses to go out on the trike - even in this viciously cold weather. I can't wait for warmer weather and to speed along sunny paths again.

It's made such a massive, massive difference. I was finding riding the trike so hard recently, but I have no alternatives, other than painful walking for half hourly buses with my trolley, that holds substantially less than the trike. 

Just thought I'd share some happy news.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

Jockice

• Charter Member
Nice one. Tyred and emotional?

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Something like this AndMac?
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Fiz

• Charter Member
So pleased AndMac  >thumbsup<

suessad

• Charter Member and Volunteer
Good to hear you're zooming around again.  >thumbsup<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
 >biggrin< happiness can come in small packages. Not only mobile but getting exercise too  >thumbsup<

AndMac

• Charter Member
Something like THIS, Dic.  >biggergrin< >biggergrin<

"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

AndMac

• Charter Member
Nice one. Tyred and emotional?

>biggergrin< Gets  my vote for Pun of The Week.  >lol<

As for the usual meaning of 'tired and emotional', I once rode the trike after a few sherries - not on the road, but on paths, I was probably illegal and it isn't a proud boast! Never again... shot down a really steep hill yelling "Wheee....!", normally it's brake on all the way down with that one!  >doh< x 1000  >whistle< >whistle< >yikes<

Dorothy Parker

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
Wish I could ride one of those, but the flexibility of the legs is not good enough, I'd need one of these,

But I'd prefer Dic's!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
That is great news AndMac, I am so glad that you are able to enjoy getting out on your trike again  >biggrin<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I once rode the trike after a few sherries..

.. shot down a really steep hill yelling "Wheee....!"

>lol<  I've heard of (two-wheel) cycling under the influence, but not triking - I wouldn't know 'off the top of my head' if it was illegal or not!  Anyway, roll on the spring - the real spring - so you can enjoy it more and more  >thumbsup<

***the trike, that is, not the sherry  ;-)

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
 >thumbsup< AndMac

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Maybe we will one day have the Olympic Tricykleathon in the velodrome.

AndMac I love the trike its brill.  >thumbsup<
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

AndMac

• Charter Member
Thank you Dic, he is indeed brill.
 I took his pic for members of a trike forum and they liked him too. He measures up very well against others in his class.
Sadly the firm that made him , Logic Engineering Concepts, went out of business some years ago . He is a 'Triway' btw, if you can't read his label.
I look after him very carefully, he lives indoors and is a bit spoilt, lots of WD40, regular health checks at the cycle shop, etc, etc....  >biggergrin<

Dorothy Parker

davewhit

• Silver Member
I once rode the trike after a few sherries..

.. shot down a really steep hill yelling "Wheee....!"

>lol<  I've heard of (two-wheel) cycling under the influence, but not triking - I wouldn't know 'off the top of my head' if it was illegal or not!  Anyway, roll on the spring - the real spring - so you can enjoy it more and more  >thumbsup<

***the trike, that is, not the sherry  ;-)

its the fact your drunk be it a bike trike horse car
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1132384/Man-convicted-drunk-charge-HORSE.html

in the uk its even against the law to be out and drunk with a child

in Germany they have for some reason a problem with people drunk in wheel chairs he is one case there are many others
http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090805-21059.html