Has anyone had their DHP decision yet ?

• 4 Replies

swilliam

• Bronze Member

Has anyone had their DHP decision yet ?

• on: 05 May 2013 09:28AM
I've been told by my LA it will take ten weeks to process the DHP applications. It's now been 15 weeks since I submitted and have yet to hear back. My social landlord have warned me they will start arrears proceedings, citing the new HB settlements are not their problem. 
In addition a friend in the same LA has been asked to supply the 6 months receipts of payments that relate to his disability or his DHP will be refused.   Who keeps receipts when not asked !

Fiz

• Charter Member
What a nightmare. I am waiting on a decision on whether I am exempt from the top up, if I'm not I have already decided I cannot cope with the stress of applying for the DHP and will just do without other things. I know I couldn't do it.

Monic1511

swilliam

it depends on how many staff the housing benefit section has, give them a call and ask for an update on the status of your claim.
As for the comment about receipts - I may be a saddo but after having to tell people they need to prove what they spent their capital on when dealing with benefit claims - I tend to keep my reciepts for ages - they get stuffed into a box & if anyone wants to look through them they will get really bored.  Milk & bread 1.25 +89 = 2.14 - I have lots of these kicking about.

>hugs<
Monic

swilliam

• Bronze Member
swilliam

it depends on how many staff the housing benefit section has, give them a call and ask for an update on the status of your claim.

>hugs<
Monic

I'll do that on Tuesday :)

swilliam

I may be a saddo but after having to tell people they need to prove what they spent their capital on when dealing with benefit claims - I tend to keep my reciepts for ages -

>hugs<
Monic

I don't mind keeping reciepts, but I was never told I had to. The new rules appeared this April 2013, after the DHP was submitted.

This is a direct quote from the LA rule book.

"...we will not say that a person can use disregarded income such as Disability Living Allowance to pay their rent if they have shown that they use it solely for expenses related to their disability. You will be asked to submit bank and building society statements for all accounts held in support of the information declared on the application form. You may also be requested to provide other supporting evidence, for example receipts or documents, prior to a decision being made."

Monic1511

Hi Swilliam

I know you shouldn't have to keep receipts - I think I do it out of bad habbit & I spend a lot of time saying to people who are claiming means tested benefits that if their savings go over the limit they will need to prove what they spent the extra on, I get the occasional person saying I have 12K extra could I buy a really expensive car & give some to the family, eh sorry no you could replace your car with a reasonable one, but don't give away its called deprevation of capital and please keep your receipts inxcase DWp wants to know where you spent the money.

Inheriting money from relatives can be the start of an overpayment of benefit appeal & its tedious trying to provide proof of all the money spent.

Anyway enough of my spouting this is gettin way off topic  ;-)
Monic