Weather Watchers

• 394 Replies

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Weather Watchers

• on: 13 May 2013 10:46AM
Sunshine, wind and showers.

Might put the heater on, as it's quite cold in here.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 13 May 2013 11:50AM
Same Same 10 degrees C  heating on.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 13 May 2013 12:16PM
Front page of the Daily Excess claimed this summer's weather is likely to be much the same as last year's. Their expert said the forecast is 'dire'.

Apparently the jet stream is expected to follow a similar path to 2012 so cold, wet and windy.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 13 May 2013 12:21PM
Can't say I'm too unhappy about this, as I find cold easier to deal with than heat.

Not looking forward to the electricity bills, though.

Yvette

• on: 13 May 2013 12:58PM
I had to put the fire on last night too.

I pay by direct debit and don't know whether to increase my monthly payment or wait until the settling up period next year and have to find a large sum of money.

Part of me doesn't want the electric company to have my money but I probably won't put the money by as there is always something else.

AndMac

• Charter Member

• on: 13 May 2013 02:54PM
I'd increase your payment Yvette, as you say, there is always something else and it's not as if the money would earn you anything in a savings account. Better to use it to ease a worry and to consider that an investment, rather than focus on the fact that the company has it.

Blowy here with a 50% chance of rain, am going to risk some washing on the line as we have intermittent sun. It's colder again but that is nothing new up here.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

AndMac

• Charter Member

• on: 13 May 2013 03:50PM
Incidentally, it's nearly always cold at this time of year, not just here but on the continent. This isn't a recent thing, it's historical.

From Wikipedia on The Ice Saints ('Die Eisheiligen' in German.)

The Ice Saints is a name given to St. Mamertus, St. Pancras, and St. Servatius in Flemish, French, Dutch, Hungarian, German, Austrian, Polish, Swiss and Croatian folklore.
They are so named because their feast days fall on the days of May 11, May 12, and May 13 respectively.

In Flanders St. Boniface of Tarsus is counted amongst the Ice Saints as well; St. Boniface's feast day falling on May 14. The period from May 12 to May 15 was noted to bring a brief spell of colder weather in many years, including the last nightly frosts of the spring, in the Northern Hemisphere under the Julian Calendar.

The introduction of the Gregorian Calendar in 1582 involved skipping 10 days in the calendar, so that the equivalent days from the climatic point of view became May 22–25.

In Poland and the Czech Republic, the Ice Saints are St. Pancras, Saint Servatus and St. Boniface of Tarsus (i.e., May 12 to May 14).
To the Poles, the trio are known collectively as zimni ogrodnicy (cold gardeners), and are followed by zimna Zośka (cold Sophias) on the feast day of St. Sophia which falls on May 15.

In Czech, the three saints are collectively referred to as "ledovķ mu˛i" (ice-men or icy men), and Sophia is known as "ˇofie, ledovį ˛ena" (Sophia, the ice-woman).

In Sweden, the German legend of the ice saints has resulted in the belief that there are special "iron nights," especially in the middle of June, which are susceptible to frost.

The term "iron nights" (järnnätter) has probably arisen through a mistranslation of German sources, where the term "Eismänner" (ice men) was read as "Eisenmänner" (iron men) and their nights then termed "iron nights," which then became shifted from May to June.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 13 May 2013 04:29PM
I pay by direct debit and don't know whether to increase my monthly payment or wait until the settling up period next year and have to find a large sum of money.

I'd increase your payment Yvette, as you say, there is always something else and it's not as if the money would earn you anything in a savings account. Better to use it to ease a worry and to consider that an investment, rather than focus on the fact that the company has it.

I agree with AndMac, Yvette. Better to have your bill covered than have to struggle to find the money as a lump sum later on.

This isn't a recent thing, it's historical.

Thanks for that, AndMac. Most interesting.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 13 May 2013 08:02PM
Ne'er cast a clout until May is out.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 13 May 2013 09:40PM
That is the plant not the month of course.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 13 May 2013 09:52PM
Whether it is the weather or the plant, May is not out yet; and I am wearing a jumper again.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 13 May 2013 10:12PM
So am I. Unfortunately the grandson feels boiling hot even when its freezing and insists on opening his window so there is a gale blowing through the house as well. We should have a shivering smiley.

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 14 May 2013 10:24AM
I haven't cast any clouts yet, too chilly most days. My May tree isn't out yet either. Buds are still tight shut. Mind you it is an ornamental one and usually flowers a little later than the hedgerow variety. Don't think I've seen those out yet either.

Cloudy bright with light breeze but still feels cold.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 14 May 2013 10:29AM
Weather here is much the same as yesterday, but colder.

My clouts are staying firmly put.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 14 May 2013 11:29AM
That was really interesting, AndMac, thank you for posting it  >biggrin<

My clouts are also staying firmly put, it is chilly even all the way down here in the south.