Is this new message board software better than Aimoo ?

• 45 Replies

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
This message board has been built using a programme provided by Simple Machines and has several advantages over Aimoo.

1) I have been able to put this messageboard in place so it is directly accessible on the www.OuchToo.org link and this means it is more easliy found,stands alone and not under the main head head of Aimoo.

2) Here we are using Go Daddy hosting which is based in the USA. This means we have more storage space and unlimited bandwith so the messageboard should run more smoothly without almost grinding to a halt the way Aimoo does.

3) We have better moderating tools including a warning system that can be set to automatically put a member on premoderation after they have recieved a set amount of warnings.

4) When Ouch Too was created people missed the old BBC yellow triangle system of reporting posts because it is not available on Aimoo. Here every post has a 'report to moderator' option which is equivalent to the yellow triangle.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
5) I have been able to add and edit out own smilies and a shortlist appears above the reply box with the added bonus of more smilies being avaliable when you click [more]on the left which produces a pop up box of smilies. This means we have ofteen used smilies easily avaliable and still more listed elsewhere making the smilie situation clearer.

Added to this all the smilies have descriptive words attached to them instead of the numbers Aimoo gave. This means if you hoover your mouse over  >biggrin< you see the words big grin.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
6) There is an option to 'split' topics which means when a thread goes off on a tangent we have the option to split it into more than one thread upon the request of a member.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
7) Pictures are added as attachments and I have been able to limit the size of the thumbnail that appears which means that post sna dthreads will load more quickly and yet you also have the option to see the bigger version of the picture by clicking on the thumbnail. I have to say I love this option  >love<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
8) We still have a Quick Reply option it is at the bottom left of the page when you veiw posts and to open it you click +

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
9) We still have a view most recent posts option, it is under the heading Forum Stats (I will do a screen shot if needs be  >whistle<)

http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?action=recent

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
10) Wayyhayyy to post a link all you do is copy and paste it in from you address bar,  >magicfairy< way less faffy than Aimoo       eg http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?action=recent

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I can set smilies to work in Quick Reply and so far we can use (without the spaces added)

: -) :-)

: -( :-(

; -) ;-)

I can add more if people wish.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I know the idea of moving over from Aimoo might be unsettling and things could feel strange and weird here so what I am thinking is we try before I buy. I have hosting set until the end of November so there is plenty of time to fool around play and learn. Once I know it is going to be used I will buy are years hosting all done and dusted :-)
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2011 03:43PM by SunshineMeadows »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Silver Member
There is a option to give good and bad karma- I guess we can test that too huh >magicfairy<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
<a href="http://" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://</a>[/flash]
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2011 07:47PM by SunshineMeadows »

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Testing, 1,2,3   >biggrin<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Ooh, I'm in....

First question - should we (you, me and Hossy) have the 'report to moderator' option on our posts?  >yikes<

Admin

• Administrator
  • Silver Member
LOL I will have  look at the settings when I have woken up more. I dont mind it being set as it is but I can see potential for hilarity. >dontpanic<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
It made me  >lol< too...

Now on a more serious note...  I don't quite feel comfortable with all that 'karma' business and wonder if it can be hidden, like the members 'ranking' on Aimoo?  IMO, it doesn't sit well on a board like this where people may post a bit 'off' sometimes due to impairments kicking in.  I personally wouldn't like my posts to be judged all the time, and that's what the 'applaud/smite' option is inviting...