Is this new message board software better than Aimoo ?

• 45 Replies

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Yes I was not sure about the karma option either and now I have a second opinion I am going to smite the karma option.
 >biggrin<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
As in.... >flyswatter<

>cool<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
... so far so good  >biggrin<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
How is this for something cool .. if I click 'Show new replies to your posts' at the top left hand side it shows me exactly that. It means there is a quick way of catching up with what you were doing without having to remember all the posts you made on you last visit.

View larger screen shots by clicking on the thumbnails.

>star<

( btw if there are no posts for you to look at when you click the options its just either you have not posted yet or people have not posted replies yet- so get posting ;-) )

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Good decision re the 'karma' I think. I belong to another board where something like this was introduced and it caused a lot of trouble.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Hurtyback,

It is good to get feedback on the decisions we are making about the board.

>thankyou<

DarthVector

• Charter Member
I'm finding that this board renders much more cleanly with my particular browser accessibility settings than Aimoo does. Thumbs up for that (:

Picture thumbnailing is an excellent idea, and so is the auto link conversion. I imagine those will make life easier for quite a few people, and the post editor seems to handle the text directives I prefer with noticeably more elegance, too.

The one minor thing I've seen so far that irritates me is the auto conversion of text smileys to pictorial ones - it's much easier for me to decipher (: than it is to figure out :). Is there a profile option to always render smileys as text?

By the way, if anyone's wondering how you get a named link, you do it like this: [url=http://ouchtoo.org/]OuchToo[/url] to get this: OuchToo

All in all, looking good!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Darth,

Thank you for the comments it is good to know the site is an improvement on Aimoo.

I know what you mean about the smilies showing as text instead of the pictures. I am not sure there is a setting but I will look for the option. Meanwhile does the way you can hover over a smilie with you mouse cursor and see the name help?

I do like doing named links and appreciate the fact you have let us know how to do it  ~hugs~ thank you.

DarthVector

• Charter Member
If the smiley is critical to the meaning - for example, when someone uses a >dontpanic< smiley without writing the corresponding text - then I can use the mouse and read the text, so it's not impossible to handle. It's just very inefficient and prone to error, because it runs completely counter to the standard SVI emphasis on the keyboard.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Darth,

I am waiting for replie to a couple of questions to Go Daddy hosting to make sure the site is backed up and I am able to upgrade the hosting package to Unlimited then I am going to add another theme. I hope to be able to edit the alternate theme to have a white background and if possible show smilies as words.

By the way do you have any suggestions on how to copy threads from the Aimoo site to here? Aimoo do not allow actual migration and so far I am thinking save sets of messages as pdfs and add them as attachments to new threads here. That way we can have 'copies' of long running Aimoo threads like 'Getting to Know each other' thread

sherbs

• Charter Member

Sunshine

Loving the new board, seems easier for me to read than aimoo

Still popping back to aimoo site, as me and kizzy have a long running thread on Big Brother, so popping in and out to update the BB thread.  Dont worry it will be over on friday, :-)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I wonder if that will be the best way to migrate the Aimoo threads, just post them as clickable links?  Especially as the link gives the title  >thumbsup<

ilovepinkandpurple

Yes I was not sure about the karma option either and now I have a second opinion I am going to smite the karma option.
 >biggrin<
whats karma option

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
It's a bit of frippery you can find on some message board formats which allows members to 'rate' each other's posts by clicking on 'applaud' ( >thumbsup<) or 'smite' ( >thumbsdown<).  An ongoing score (the Karma) is displayed.

You can see now why we didn't really want any nonsense like that  >whistle<