Is this new message board software better than Aimoo ?

• 45 Replies

ilovepinkandpurple

that dosent sound very nice

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I know, Pink - I can't understand the point of such a system....what can be gained from it in the long-term except to breed favouritism, cliques and resentment?

Still, it's a funny old cyber-world sometimes  :-)

DarthVector

• Charter Member
[In reply to SunshineMeadows]

...then I am going to add another theme. I hope to be able to edit the alternate theme to have a white background and if possible show smilies as words.

Creative thinking! That sounds like it could well work. Even if you can't get smilies as words (the one single problem I have here), you'd still be able to create accessibility themes for people who need them, but don't use the draconian browser accessibility settings I use. That would be a win in itself.

By the way do you have any suggestions on how to copy threads from the Aimoo site to here? Aimoo do not allow actual migration and so far I am thinking save sets of messages as pdfs and add them as attachments to new threads here.

I can't think of a more automated way, offhand, without doing some actual programming. Does this board give you a migration option, by the way, or at least some form of downloadable backup that you can keep on your own computer and upload back to the board if the worst happens? It may sound paranoid, but I've been on the wrong end of data loss often enough to really want the option...

[In reply to KizzyKazaer]

I wonder if that will be the best way to migrate the Aimoo threads, just post them as clickable links?  Especially as the link gives the title  >thumbsup<

I would recommend against solely relying on that, if at all possible. If Aimoo goes away, or even if they just delete Aimoo OuchToo for some reason, we'd lose the lot. They haven't undertaken to archive the content the way BBC Ouch did.

[General comment]

On the subject of moving threads over, do you plan to make Aimoo OuchToo read-only at some point? If you do, the transfer of old threads should wait until after that, or you'll be on an impossible treadmill of trying to keep up with new posts on the old board and move them over. If not, you'll need to pick a "Transfer Day" and let the boards diverge afterwards.

DarthVector

• Charter Member
On a different note, I've just tested the option for attaching arbitrary files to messages on this thread, and it works. Attachments appear at the end of the message they're attached to.

Another feature we have here that Aimoo doesn't (:

DarthVector

• Charter Member
Aha - board backups:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup

I am now having interesting ideas about programmatically ripping content out of Aimoo, stuffing it into the SMF backup file(s) and using the restore function to shove it all into the new board in one big blob. This may give you an insight into how I came to be on the wrong end of data loss on previous occasions (:

More brains, Igor! Bwahaha!

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
So far I like what I see of this new board.. many things seem less complicated and Im finding it easier to navigate than the other one.. Im hoping to learn to post pictures in the next few days...but Illhave to take it slowly of the info wont be retained.. >dontpanic< >bigfoot< lol love the bigfoot!
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
Im not in favour of a karma system either.. i feel it can be used as a weapon and many of us arent that emotionally and mentally robust that we can just shrug it off..

Ive seen it used on other sites and sometimes its used as an " Im better than you because Ive more points "

it wouldnt stop me using this site but Id not feel comfortable with it
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Nice to know we made the right decision not to bother with it - this is a message board, not a popularity contest  ;-)

Bigfoot's great, isn't he?  I love the raspberry smiley, naturally  >whistle< >raspberry< >lol<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
PS - good point made about the Aimoo threads, Darth.  I've just remembered you are a software engineer, so you 'know your onions', as they say  >thumbsup<  We have a good skill set among our membership, I think  >cool<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Darth,

I agree with you about Transfer day although it will probably also have to have a concurrent transfer week for the older threads. I have looked into migrating and the sticking point is Aimoo (of course) dont support this and there is no server access to get to the Ouch Too Aimoo database. The good thing about using this SMF messageboard format on OuchToo.org is that if we were to decide to use a different format( which is unlikely) we can do that later. I looked at the thread you posted and it is one option however I have a mind to copy as much as possible by using pdfs. I will post a link after I created an example ~grins~

Thank you for the link, I love ~wink~ the way the instructions say:
3.If you click that, you'll see a page that might, at first, seem somewhat scary.
 4.It IS. Be careful what you do, there, because you can SERIOUSLY break things

Go Daddy Hosting sent me how to instructions and I am going to back up and restore the Wordpress database first.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
How does this method look:

http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=47.0

Before I hit on the pdf option I tried copy and paste but it looked a mess becasue it showed more information than we need to see.
:-)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Everyone,

I have seen the Karma option work well on technical advise boards and it does encourage people to be helpful to others - especially newbies. It also allows people to see who has been more helpful in offering advice and software fixes etc.

I agree with what people have been saying about using it here and it could get especially messy as the message board becomes more well known and popular.

Myrtle,

>hugs< good to see you here and posting. The adding pictures tutorial is on my to do list and should be up soon.  :-)

DarthVector

• Charter Member
Your PDF example is actually very readable - I'm impressed that it managed to preserve the layout so well.

Would you be willing to email me a copy of the board backup file (when you have it, and assuming it's not too big) so I can see what's inside? My curiosity is getting the better of me...

I laughed at the backup instructions as well (:
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2011 11:32AM by DarthVector »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Darth,

Right now I as only backing up to the a server and dont actually have a copy of the file on my computer to give you, but I can give you a link to the download for the theme I am going to try to adapt to give people an alternate way of viewing the board.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2497 the zip is on the right hand side

I installed SMF on to the website via Go Daddy but there is a download here on the top left hand side.
http://www.simplemachines.org/

~smiles~

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Interestingly, the PDF link in the first post on 'Archive' only displays when one is logged in...

It's very good, though  >thumbsup<