'Benefits cap does work, Iain Duncan Smith insists'

• 30 Replies

Minniehaha

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10179385/Benefits-cap-does-work-Iain-Duncan-Smith-insists.html

The Work and Pensions Secretary said he "believes" the cap of 26,000 a year per family is working even though the statistics watchdog says there is no evidence for this yet.

"I believe that we are already seeing people go back to work, who were not going to go back to work until they were assured of the cap."

And some people believe there are fairies at the bottom of the garden ...

sickandtired

• Gold Member
"I believe that we are already seeing people go back to work, who were not going to go back to work until they were assured of the cap."

'Going back to work'. As if people on benefits were on strike or something, rather than struggling to find work when there are 5 people after every vacancy.

It's been said before, I know, but...Goebbels would have been proud of you, Mr Smith.

hemiman

• Silver Member
thats why mps now need 74k to live on, its laughable, they say average wage is 26k yet they want triple that!!!!! boiling blood lol oh yes i forgot claim benefits, your a scrounger, be an MP your very worthy to society!!!!

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
It's too hot for me to do much more than blow a contemptuous raspberry at the silly little fart of a fellow..

gus

• Diamond member
IDS is a repulsive insidious little toad.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Prabhakari

I.D.S. : I believe for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows . . . .  . tra la!
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

sherbs

• Charter Member

'Going back to work'. As if people on benefits were on strike or something, rather than struggling to find work when there are 5 people after every vacancy.

It's been said before, I know, but...Goebbels would have been proud of you, Mr Smith.

"5 people"

We have just advertised for a grade 2 admin / filing clerk, wanted for only a 6 month contract.  we had 37 applicants in 1 day of the add going out, so we had to close the add.

The add would normally be up for 1 week, but our manager decided to close it as all 37 were more than qualified.

We had an ex-nurse, an ex-pilot and even a nun !!!.  All (even the nun) were far over-qualified, so our manager sifted through down to 15 to interview.

Not so many years ago we would have been lucky to get 2 - 3 basic office qualified.

My son went for a job interview (where they wanted 3 staff) and he got one of the jobs out of 1,000 applicants, now that's just madness.  It ended up being a 3 day interview, where they dwindled them down to 300, then 90, then 15 people.

Prabhakari

The Monasteries used to look after the sick and the poor.
Henry VIII had them destroyed between 1536 and 1539.

This had the effect of creating a large number of people who were destitute.

A Statute was passed in 1547:

. . . . that if any idle and vagabond persons were relieved by foolish pity and mercy, they were to be punished by death, whipping and imprisonment.
Any person living in idleness would be branded with an iron with the letter 'V' and adjudged to be a slave for two years to the person that had brought him to justice.

Before the dissolution, each monastery had its poorhouse or almshouse, with a relieving officer or Almoner whose duty it was to visit the sick and the poor and to 'relieve them'.
Offerings were given to the clergymen as the dispensers of alms.

Things were little better by the time Charles Dickens was a writer, but not much better.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

devine63

Yes Prabs and people weren't even allowed to go elsewhere to look for work - they would be marched back to their home parish because no one else was allowed to help people!

Here is one example, from my family tree:

============================================

Transcribed from the Overseers records of Sturminster Marshall

Removal Order by the Parish Overseers of Wimborne Minster against Richard Boyt and his wife Ann (Mitchell) and 5 children  11 Oct 1822 , Parish of Wimborne Minster, Dorset, England

Deposited in Overseers records of Sturminster Marshall, dated 11 Oct 1822.

Richard and Ann Boyt

Removal Order Wimborne Minster to Sturminster Marshall Dorset

To the churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the Parish of Wimborne Minster in (to wit) the County of Dorset aforesaid, to remove and convey; and to the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the Parish of Sturminster Marshall in the said County of Dorset to receive and obey.

Whereas complaint hath been made by you the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the Parish of Wimborne Minster in the County of Dorset aforesaid, unto us, whose Hands and Seals are hereunto subscribed and set, being two of His Majesty's Justices of the Peace acting in and for the said County of (one whereof is of the Quorum) that Richard Boyt and Ann his wife and their five children viz Henry aged about twelve years Reuben aged about ten years, William aged about seven years and six months, Jane aged about four years and Charles aged about six months are came to inhabit in the said Parish of Wimborne Minster not having gained a legal Settlement there, nor produced a Certificate, owning them to be settled elsewhere; and that the said Richard Boyt and Ann his wife and their said five children namely Henry, Reuben, William, Jane and Charles are become chargeable to the said Parish of Wimborne Minster.

We, the said Justices, upon due proof made thereof before us, as well as upon Examination of the said Richard Boyt upon Oath, as otherwise; and likewise upon due consideration had of the Premises, do adjudge, that the lawful Settlement of them Richard Boyt and Ann his wife and their said five children namely Henry, Reuben, William, Jane and Charles is in the Parish of Sturminster Marshall in the County of Dorset aforesaid.

These are therefore, in His Majesty's Name, and by Virtue of the Statutes in this behalf made, to order and require you the said Churchwarden's and Overseers of the Poor of the Parish of Wimborne Minster or some of one of you, to remove and convey the said Richard Boyt and Ann his wife and their five children namely Henry, Reuben, William, Jane and Charles from and out of your said Parish of Wimborne Minster to the said Parish of Sturminster Marshall and then to deliver to the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor there, or to some or one of them, together with this our Warrant or Order, or a true copy thereof. And we do also hereby require you the said Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the Parish of Sturminster Marshall forwith to receive the said Richard Boyt and Ann his wife and their five children namely Henry, Reuben, William, Jane and Charles into your Parish, and provided for them as your own Parishioners.

Given under our Hands and Seals, the eleventh Day of October in the year of our Lord 1822.

Red Wax seals and the signature of V Hankham (Baronet) Wm Pitt are made to the left hand side of the document.

SteveX

I avoid IDS now, if I hear his name mentioned on the radio I turn it off asap and even when at my mums and she's watching BBC news 24. I have her trained now, if that repugnant little vermin appears, she mutes the tv or changes channel  :D
Member of POMMAS

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Steve you are not alone in that and with me it includes cousin David and his chum Osborne.

Deb at least they lived on into old age apart from Richard who died in his sixties I  Ann being in her early seventies  henry one of their sons and his wife ending their days in the workhouse where it was possible to get medical care in your old age as there were no other provision for the elderly in those days.

Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

devine63

not sure I would call what was available in the workhouse medical care, Dic.  They were pretty grim places!  But yes, my maternal family have strong constitutions and tend to be long lived - but also lots of serious mental illness!

regards, Deb

bubble

IDs makes my blood pressure rise , I think as a child he wouldn't share his sweets. His parents should have brought him up better.