WFI for Partners

• 8 Replies

Silverstar

• Diamond member

WFI for Partners

• on: 15 Aug 2013 10:22AM
Hi

My hubby has been called in for a WFI for partners next week, I am very anxious about this. If hubby is also my career, which he is, do we have good cause to get postponed  or even stopped altogether.

Him bring absent for over an hour is causing me real anxiety as we are rarely apart and he does so many things for me. Additionally as things stand he will not be looking for work as he has caring responsibilities for me. It all seems like a waste of everyone's time. Can we phone the Jcp and explain this to them. Thanks.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: WFI for Partners

• on: 15 Aug 2013 11:48AM
Hi Silverstar and welcome to OuchToo  :-)

It looks like you do indeed have good grounds for your partner's WFI to be deferred (postponed for the foreseeable future) according to this piece of DWP guidance - with thanks to Benefits and Work for the information http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

53016 Partners of claimants receiving ESA are required to take part in a WFI as a condition of the claimant continuing to receive the full rate of benefit1 (see DMG 05520). However a partner who is undertaking significant long term caring responsibilities that make the prospect of work, paid or unpaid, unlikely at the present time may have their WfI deferred.

So yes, do contact JobcentrePlus and explain the circumstances as soon as possible!

Silverstar

• Diamond member

• on: 15 Aug 2013 12:36PM
Hi

Many thanks for your help.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog

• on: 15 Aug 2013 03:42PM
The funny thing with WFI's - my wife's one.

Mrs T has had bowel cancer, a misformed foot with one toe amputated and one replacement joint, she is just recovering from a slipped disk and has 2 or 3 more foot operations in the pipeline.

She went to the interview and was told (as she was on crutches at the time) they could have arranged a downstairs room, but was she OK going up one flight of stairs?  Mrs T said Yes.

Up one flight of stairs, puffing with the effort, sits down and the interviewer looked at the notes and said, "Why did they send for you?  There's no way you're fit for work"  I bet Atos and the Decision Maker would have a different opinion!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Silverstar

• Diamond member

• on: 22 Aug 2013 03:22PM
Hi

Just to update yup, hubby phoned JCP last week and explained about being my career etc. he could not speak to the actual advisor who sent the letter but told someone else all about it and they wrote it all down and said the actual advisor would be in touch.

We heard nothing at all so hubby phoned again yesterday eventually spoke to the relevant person who said the WFI could be carried out over the phone instead.

She duly phoned this morning, asked hubby a few questionable about his old job, qualifications etc, hubby told her he couldn't look for work because he is my career and that was that. A waste of time, a lot of anxiety and if hubby had had to walk all the way there and back in the rain for a 2 minute consultation. He would have been very annoyed. Just relieved it is over.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 22 Aug 2013 05:25PM
It's all just a box-ticking exercise formality that JobcentrePlus staff have to see through to the conclusion;  good to hear the correct outcome was swift!

Silverstar

• Diamond member

• on: 22 Aug 2013 07:00PM
Just realised I said twice hubby was my career, I mean carer of course. Not much of a career for anyone is it?

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 22 Aug 2013 07:09PM
It's a pretty worthwhile one I reckon!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 23 Aug 2013 01:02PM
She duly phoned this morning, asked hubby a few questionable about his old job, qualifications etc, hubby told her he couldn't look for work because he is my career and that was that. A waste of time, a lot of anxiety and if hubby had had to walk all the way there and back in the rain for a 2 minute consultation. He would have been very annoyed. Just relieved it is over.

It is good to know that getting in touch with the Jobcentre before going in for the WFI made a difference on this occassion.

Up one flight of stairs, puffing with the effort, sits down and the interviewer looked at the notes and said, "Why did they send for you?  There's no way you're fit for work"

The one good thing about this is now there is not the apprehension and worry about MrsT being called in again.

I am glad you both posted because there is not enough information online on this topic.