Author Topic: Yet more deaf-unfriendly courses  (Read 829 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Yet more deaf-unfriendly courses
« on: 13 Sep 2013 11:37AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09/13/muslim-student-veil-ban-reversed-birmingham-college_n_3918198.html?utm_hp_ref=uk&utm_hp_ref=uk

Birmingham Metropolitan College has overturned a ban on face veils on its campuses.

What's to bet they won't provide any assistance to hearing impaired students left out of discussions because they don't know what one of the participants is saying?

I feel strongly about this because I myself dropped out of a course because one of the other students wouldn't take her face veil off and no one, tutor or other students, would repeat what she said for my benefit.

Face veils are cultural not religious and they are a choice.  Hearing impairment isn't a choice.

Having said that, I don't like it when others wear them in supermarkets and the street, although they are free to do so, because they know what I'm saying  but I don't know what they're saying.  Sometimes I can tell from the head and body movements that they're talking but I'm lost.  When I see neighbours like that in the street, I say hello and smile like I do with everyone else, but I don't know whether they say hello back and I don't know which neighbours they are unless they've got kiddies so I can recognise the buggies.

It's not that I don't respect them as humans.  An old lady on the bus swathed top to bottom in black except her hands and eyes (which  both looked old) was having a problem with her mobile.  I switched it on for her and she dialled someone.  Afterwards it occurred to me that the problem might have been a nearly flat battery and I could have let her use my mobile to make a call, but if I didn't know what she was saying, how was I to know what help she needed?

So whilst I understand it matters to them to cover themselves, I feel it's isolating me and I don't like that.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)