DWP ESA "Review Officer" Home Visit Confusion

• 11 Replies

Lily

Hello I hope everyone is feeling as well as can be expected.
I would be grateful if anyone could share their experience (if they have had one) of a DWP Review Officer, from the "Performance Management Department" of the DWP writing demanding a a home visit.  The letter says they will need to see 2 forms of identification and goes on to provide an enormously long list of identification they would like to see and says they need to visit "to make sure you are getting the correct amount of ESA".
This is confusing and frightening.  Being in the WRAG group of ESA.  I have extensively "googled" and internet searched to find out what on earth a Review Officer with the DWP is and what the Performance Management department of the DWP does and absolutely nothing comes up anywhere.  There is plenty of information about Customer Compliance Officers but none on Review Officers or Performance Management.  I would find it really helpful if anybody could enlighten me as to what this chap does and what to expect from a home visit.
It's really hard to trust the department of work and pensions and their sudden concern for me getting the amount of ESA I am entitled to.  Is this just smokescreen speak for investigating whether a claimant is lying.
Thank you.

devine63

hi

others may have a better answer for you, Lily

but bear in mind that there will also be processes by which DWP double check on their own staff, to make sure they are not making mistakes, so that could be what this is about ...
regards, Deb

lankou

• Charter Member
After have had a rummage around the DWP website and the internet I would phone the DWP, (not on any phone number in the letter) and check it isn't a scam.

Edited to add, reply from a "mole" inside the DWP after I asked them please note the last line of the reply:-

The Planning and Performance Management Directorate (PPM) is part of the Finance and Commercial Community within DWP.

Following a recent review of our structure, work strands, teams and analysing our relationships to stakeholders and partners, PPM divisions are as follows:

Performance and Value for Money (PVfM) will develop, lead and support delivery of DWP’s strategic approach to Performance and Value for Money from the finance and sustainability perspective. PVfM will also develop innovative value-added analysis across Finance and Commercial activities.

Strategic Direction will enable Ministers to achieve the best possible outcomes within the available funding, across everything the department does.

Business Planning and Reporting will lead and coordinate the Department’s planning and performance management activities, through fostering close relationships to other directorates and the wider DWP.

Financial Planning will develop, maintain and support departmental financial planning processes, whilst ensuring financial plans are underpinned by robust integrated plans, the budget and workforce planning.

PPM’s vision is to:
Lead improved, joined-up planning to drive the best possible decisions and outcomes for our customers.

We will deliver our vision:
Together – collaborative, working with & through others
Knowing our stuff – basing the ‘big picture’ on reliable information
Single Story – One DWP, One Plan, One Set of Numbers – in plain English
Adding Value – Continuously Improving to drive the best outcomes
Our people – Expert trusted professional, strategic advisers & leaders

Reckon they're internal, can't see them needing to speak to people outside.

Edited to add I have just asked:-

So it could be a scam and a ruse to gain entry even though it is in writing?

and got this answer:-

Sounds like it.... All the phone numbers that I have are internal ones, not to be given out.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2013 08:06AM by lankou »

Fiz

• Charter Member
Wow scary stuff. Do you think it could be a normal compliance/review officer but the letter got sent out on the wrong piece of paper? Wrong letterhead kind of thing?

Lily

Thanks so much to everyone who replied.  I really appreciate it.  Calling the "office number" on the letter put me straight through to the voicemail of the "mobile number" on the letter.  Left a message asking them to send out another appointment was/am in flare up of 4 of my dreary health conditions.
Need my support worker to be with me also.  Can't really do being on own in my own home with a stranger.
I was wondering if it was a new name for a compliance officer also but worried that there is little info out there.
On balance it would be fairer if the letter explained more as surely they know that a visit from the dwp is frightening full stop and has the potential to worsen your health with all the worry.
Hope everyone doing/feeling ok today. 

Lily

Gaaa sorry just re read replies, yes thanks Lankou that really helpful - to phone the actual dwp proper and double check validity of this that way
(thanks all)

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
That sounds really worrying, for several reasons! Please will you let us know how this works out?

Fiz

• Charter Member
The fact that they left you a mobile number to respond to makes it all the more worrying tbh

lankou

• Charter Member
The fact that they left you a mobile number to respond to makes it all the more worrying tbh

I missed that, there is something VERY iffy about that. Personally I would contact the police.

devine63

Hi Lily

I really don't think this is actually a letter from the DWP.   It seems very unlikely that a DWP person's voicemail would put you through to a mobile.  I think it is quite likely to be a fake letter of some kind, probably part of a scam.   Do not ring the number again (sometimes such numbers can have huge costs attached).   Instead I suggest that you phone one of the local DWP's official phone numbers and ask them to find out whether DWP sent the letter, if they cannot confirm it, take the letter to the police and tell them you think it is an attempt at some kind of scam.
regards, Deb

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
I have nothing helpful to add, but just wanted to say how horrible this must be for you.  It's bad enough at the moment with all the changes to benefits etc going on, without these sorts of nasty scams.  I really hope you can get it resolved soon.

starsmurf

Hi Lily,

I spoke to my little sister, she's a police officer.  She advises you to contact the police immediately, as this definately sounds like a scam.  It will allow the police to make others aware as it is very unlikely that you are the only target.

It will also allow the police to give you some peace of mind regarding the *******s who carry out such scams.
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.