benefits and someone moving in

• 3 Replies

JD47

benefits and someone moving in

• on: 20 Sep 2013 09:22AM
Hi I wonder if anyone can help . I am disabled and long term ill and on DLA high rate mobability and middle rate care and also on ESA  . At present I live on my own but thinking of having someone move in more for company as I live out in country plus it could be a big help when I am real bad. They wont be a career and would be going to work full time (so wont be interested in claiming as a career.  I have 2 options one is a friend she would love to move in and I think it would work well. I would not charge her rent as I am lucky enough not to have anything on my mortgage but she would help out with bills. How would this effect my benefits money wise? I understand I wont get free council tax and to be honest I would expect my friend to cover this. But concerned how much of a cut they would take and would they believe me that I was only taking money from her for bills?

My other option is my boyfriend has been talking about moving in, personally not sure if being lonely is a good enough reason (which I have been honest and told him) If he did move in would that effect my benefits even more?

Even though mortgage is paid my other bills are very high and like us all on benefits struggle to make ends meet. So concerned about being even worse off. I have mentioned the idea to them both together and they both agree who ever moves in it would be a good idea for me. Now I feel stressed to make a decision and concerned about myself financially .

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks

lankou

• Charter Member

Re: benefits and someone moving in

• on: 20 Sep 2013 09:58AM
It may be to your advantage and your "lodger's" to charge a  nominal rent to make things "official" , you obviously need to make such a decision after doing some study, the rules changed recently.
Suggested reading:-

https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/the-rent-a-room-scheme

https://www.gov.uk/government/.../hb-factsheet-renting-spare-room.rtf‎

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 20 Sep 2013 11:27AM
DLA is not means-tested, nor is contributory ESA - although this changes to income-related after 365 days in the WRAG (Support Group remains contributory long-term).

If your partner moves in, then you will be treated as a couple for any means-tested benefits. Your partner's wages, savings and working hours would be taken into account for income-related ESA.

Monic1511

• on: 20 Sep 2013 01:40PM
If you get severe disability premium in your ESA payment and someone moves in then you will lose this, 59.50 is the weekly amount.  you will need to check this on your award as it can be the only thing that gets you income related ESA.  you would need to work out how much your friend is going to contribute
Monic