Author Topic: Are TV Pathologists Pants?  (Read 1418 times)

Yvette

Are TV Pathologists Pants?
« on: 20 Sep 2013 12:12PM »
In Body of Proof and Silent Witness and other programmes, the pathologist goes back to the body to find extra evidence.

So why didn't they find it during the first post-mortem?

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Are TV Pathologists Pants?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2013 01:44PM »
I blame the script writers myself.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Yvette

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2013 03:33PM »
 >lol<

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2013 12:24AM »
Sometimes bruising doesn't show until later?  I thought that bruising was caused by blood being pushed into the area under the skin, this would not change after death, surely, as the heart is no longer bleeding?

I must admit the way they say, "We've had him under arrest for three hours, let's take a DNA swab and see if he's the murderer." The swab is taken and five minutes later the results are back!  I thought it took at least 24 hours for a DNA test.

However, we must remember that there are tiny things that are normally found on revisiting the corpse, they may have been missed, even if they should not have been, on the first exam.  But then, in real life, a bullet was found on the gurney that President Kennedy's body was on that linked the assassination to the Karkano rifle in the book depository, so it could happen.  ;-)
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

devine63

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2013 01:08AM »

"Sometimes bruising doesn't show until later?  I thought that bruising was caused by blood being pushed into the area under the skin, this would not change after death, surely, as the heart is no longer bleeding?"

If the heart is beating then blood can be pushed out of a damage blood vessel with each beat, so the bleeding appears relatively quickly.  Once the heart stops the leakage from the damaged cells is fairly passive, so it would occur more slowly.
regards, Deb