Severe Disability Premium

• 10 Replies

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

Severe Disability Premium

• on: 23 Aug 2013 12:32PM
I received a letter this morning inviting me to apply for a Severe Disability Premium on top of my ESA. Between ESA and DLA I have enough money coming in to pay for everything I need, and I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of applying for benefits unnecessarily. Is it ok not to apply for the Premium?

Thanks in advance.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Severe Disability Premium

• on: 23 Aug 2013 12:47PM
NN, you're the first person I've ever heard of who doesn't want it!  Certainly I never came across such a request in my 7 years of processing Income Support which often included this premium - either the claimant meets the conditions for SDP or they don't.  It's not a separate benefit in its own right, it's a component of IS or income-based ESA/JSA that becomes payable when middle or higher rate DLA care is awarded - you're only sent a form to fill in to confirm certain extra qualifying criteria;  mainly that you live alone (within the DWP's definition of this) and no-one is claiming Carers' Allowance for you.

You're entitled to the money as a result of your DLA award, please take it!  I've received the SDP myself since 2006 and my view is, why should you (or I, or others in same position) do without it just because we manage our finances sensibly? (which you must be doing if you feel you have enough money for your needs).   Things might well change when you're next re-assessed for PIP, so make the most of what's available now!  It's not 'fraudulent' or unacceptable in any way, shape or form.   >end of lecture<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 23 Aug 2013 01:18PM
Thanks Kizzy. I've been accustomed to managing solely on ESA for quite some time, and with the recent good news about my DLA award, the idea that suddenly I don't have to scrimp and save for everything is taking some getting used to!

I do share this house with 2 other people but as it's just a case of friends mucking in together to share the costs of rent and bills, it shouldn't be a problem.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member

• on: 23 Aug 2013 01:26PM
Completely agree with everything that Kizzy has said.  Take the money while it's there and use it to treat yourself to something.  Maybe use it for going out more, a trip to the theatre, or a meal with friends.  It won't change your life, but it may make things a bit more comfortable for you.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 23 Aug 2013 04:56PM
 >thumbsup< not only that, but remember on income-based ESA you can save up to 6000 without it affecting your benefit, so you can always put some aside for a future emergency arising - like a washing machine or fridge breaking down and needing immediate replacement (or even your computer!  It's all items that help us manage our disability on a day-to-day basis, if you think about it..)

I just had another look at the DWP's definition of 'living alone' for SDP purposes and this extract from a Decision-Maker's Guide gives an example which looks near to your situation:

Tom claims ESA. He gets DLA highest rate care component and no one gets CA for
caring for him. He lives in a privately rented house which he shares with three other
people. They all have their own bedroom but share the kitchen and bathroom. Each
are liable to pay the landlord rent for their room.

The DM decides that Tom does not normally reside with the other residents of the
house. They are all separately liable to make payments to the landlord for their
accommodation. Tom has no non-dependants and is awarded SDP.

Also from the Decision Makers' Guide:

11018 People living in one dwelling are not necessarily living together in the same household. Examples are (I've just included the one that's relevant)

- lodgers or students who necessarily share a single gas/electricity supply etc. and may have an arrangement to share costs for items such as food and cleaning materials

As for 'getting used to not scrimping', that one took me a fair old while, old habits die hard!  But you will become accustomed eventually   >biggrin<

Monic1511

• on: 23 Aug 2013 08:07PM
Hi NN

if you don't claim the SDP you are part of the statistics that is the 13billion unclaimed benefit.
Please claim the SDP as its income related ESA & would entitle you to other things as well
please please claim what your entitled to
 >hugs<
Monic

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 25 Aug 2013 09:56AM
Thanks so much for all the advice, everyone.  >hugs<

You'll be glad to hear that I'll be filling out the forms today.  :-)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 09 Oct 2013 01:56PM
I just wanted to pop in and thank you all for persuading me to apply for the Severe Disability Premium. 

I'm undergoing one of those horrible periods when everything breaks at once - washing machine, yet another spring on my already clapped-out mattress, then my lightbox, then my mobility scooter started making peculiar noises, and finally, this morning, my laptop decided to retire. I'm typing this on a dinky notebook one of my housemates rescued from being thrown out by a colleague, so forgive any typos - the keyboard is tiny!

All of this added to the usual autumn outgoings has meant that the additional money is very, very welcome indeed. Thanks again for helping me to see sense >bighugs<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 09 Oct 2013 02:31PM
Isn't it a nightmare when everything decides to stop working at the same time?! I'm glad you were able to get the SDP to help towards these expenses.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 09 Oct 2013 05:37PM
Oops, I hope I didn't inadvertently curse your washing machine and computer to doom when I mentioned them as an example in my earlier post!

Delighted that you have applied for, and been awarded, what is only your rightful and legal entitlement  >thumbsup<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 09 Oct 2013 07:02PM
Oops, I hope I didn't inadvertently curse your washing machine and computer to doom when I mentioned them as an example in my earlier post!

>lol<

I think you're in the clear. Appliances in this house need no supernatural intervention to break down - most are either ancient or second hand, so they're already half-knackered by the time they arrive here!