Author Topic: Worrying??  (Read 1551 times)

marfanannie

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
Worrying??
« on: 24 Nov 2013 09:25AM »
Heard this being discussed on Andrew Marr show.  Well not discussed really - no one seems interested!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/23/iain-duncan-smith-wrag-benefit-cuts?guni=Keyword:news-grid%20main-1%20Main%20trailblock:Editable%20trailblock%20-%20news:Position4

Not sure whether I have put link in correctly.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Worrying??
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2013 10:44AM »
The link works  >thumbsup<

However, the Observer understands that Duncan Smith wants to disband the group, currently made up of 546,770 people. Such a move would require an overhaul of the whole benefits system, say experts.

>doh< what??

I hope they end up putting all the people they should not have shoved inot WRAG into where they should have been in the in the first place the Support Group.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2013 11:25AM »
"The work and pensions secretary is pushing to scrap a part of the benefits system that helps sufferers of recent illnesses get back into employment. These individuals are covered by the term "work-related activity group" (WRAG) and are regarded as being capable of work in the future. They are paid benefits if they carry out training or practice interviews."

Journalist got that a bit wrong? 
Is it only people who have had a recent illness who are in the WRAG?  No people with long-term conditions? 
Or maybe I haven't understood what people have written here in the past few years, that some people with long-standing illness or disability that isn't likely to improve are placed in WRAG? >erm<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2013 12:09PM »
I'm just hoping that what this really means is that they're simply going to go back to a single sort of benefit as IB was instead of a two-category benefit like ESA.

However, when I read an article like this, I find myself wondering how much the writer knows and, sadly, how much IDS actually knows about benefits.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2013 05:27PM »
This could go one of two ways if IDS gets his wish and has the WRAG group 'disbanded' - either a reversion to a 'one-tier' benefit (as Sunny just said, like the old IB) or, as MP Anne Begg fears, a shunting of those WRAG claimants to JSA.  And judging by a spokesman for the DWP who says:

"We're continually looking to improve the system and all sorts of ideas are considered, some of which are acted upon and some of which are not. Ministers are working together closely and we will do everything we can to support this group of people to move off benefits and into work."

..there are no prizes for which way I think IDS would prefer to go!  Speaking as someone in the WRAG, this doesn't fill me with joy, but I'm prepared to fight if there's any attempts to push me onto JSA or into work before I'm ready and able.  And I'm sure most other folks in the WRAG would react in a similar fashion.  Perhaps we'll form our own protest group or something...

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2013 01:22PM »
It's simple I'm Dumband Stupid wants to get rid of the WRAG and put them on JSA, and the other ESA group he wants in graves so that he doesn't have to pay out for the most expensive group!

Sorry Sarcasm mode switch stuck on!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

SteveX

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2013 01:44PM »
This scares me greatly.

I can barely cope with my 2-3 month WRAG interviews, I could not cope with signing on JSA every 2 weeks, and I wouldn't put myself through it, I'd just call it a day and do myself in.

But, I guess that is their aim?  scare lots of us into doing away with ourselves or worry us into an early grave to save a few quid a week.

Staggered the government can get away with the crap they are doing atm, if we were in another country the UK government would be saying how cruel and disgusting the treatment of the sick and disabled is, but in their own country we are meaningless scum to be trodden on and discarded.
Member of POMMAS

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2013 03:08PM »
I'm dreading the interviews.  I am yet to have one, having been on Assessment Rate for the past year. 

How do I get there? 
How long do they take? 
Will there be stairs?
Will I have to stand/sit for any period of time while waiting?
Will they be on time, or having got there my usual 5-10 minutes early, will they keep me waiting, yet sanction me if I am 5 minutes late?
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel