Author Topic: PIP Timetable Changes  (Read 6463 times)

JLR2

Re: PIP Timetable Changes
« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2013 03:52PM »
HB, given all these departments are within the DWP it could be argued they are already aware of any changes brought about by their own actions.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2013 03:54PM »
HB, given all these departments are within the DWP it could be argued they are already aware of any changes brought about by their own actions.

My point exactly!  :-)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2013 04:02PM »
Hurty, I was under the impression that one could affect the other, if the claimant is in receipt of both benefits. It might just be because if I ever need to get in touch with James House, the point of contact for ESA claimants in Belfast, you're always asked what other benefits you receive.

If the impression is false, then it's quite a relief, as it's one less things to be frightened about!

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2013 04:09PM »
There are two points here -

1) Yes, I have heard of people losing DLA afer being denied ESA - but that was instigated by DWP themselves, not by the claimant notifying DWP of the change.

2) I was always under the impression that asking whether you are on any other benefits is just another security question, like asking your phone number and DOB etc.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2013 05:07PM »
1) Yes, I have heard of people losing DLA afer being denied ESA - but that was instigated by DWP themselves, not by the claimant notifying DWP of the change.

That was what I was getting at in my first post, but I see now that I was confusing a  change of circumstance as reported by the claimant, with the DWP/DSD just being gits.

Sorry >blush<

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2013 07:56PM »
RE DLA affecting ESA and vice versa

if you have high rate mobility and your award is up for renewal and your ESA is done at the same time, the ESA medical is used by the DLA decision maker.   Even at tribunal for DLA if a client has been awarded ESA since the DLA decision the tribunal wants to know what descriptors were awarded by the ESA tribunal.   This then can influence their DLA decision.

for example you get 9 points for mobility on ESA which is
"Cannot either
1.   mobilise more than 100 meters on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion; or
2.   repeatedly mobilise 100 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion."

but to get high rate mobility you need to be "virtually unable to walk" (if its just physical & no mental health dla consideration)   The Virtually unable to walk is typically agreed as less than 50 meters.   So if the ESA tribunal felt you didn't meet the 15 points descriptor for mobility and you have no other supporting evidence for the panel then the DLA tribunal might take the award of high rate mob away.
just for reference the 15 points for mobility are phrased as
Cannot either
1.   mobilise more than 50 meters on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion; or
2.   repeatedly mobilise 50 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion.

So ESA can & does affect the DLA award, you might win the high rate mob if you have extra evidence for the DLA tribunal but it would have to be good evidence in my opinion.  >steam<
 >hugs< >dove<
Monic

JLR2

« Reply #21 on: 20 Dec 2013 11:49PM »
Given the sort of time scales allowed for assessors to carry out their assessments of claimants, how are they going to deal/cope or allow for claimants who are very slow to get from an assessment centre/hospital waiting room to the room arranged for the carrying out of assessments?

My local hospital is where my assessments are carried out and the waiting room is some 20/30 metres from the examination rooms.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2013 03:24PM »
If your assessment is 20/30 metres from the waiting room, you've lost HRM straight away and they will use the fact that you walked into the assessment room 30 metres away to lower it!

On my ESA medical that was used to take my DLA it was stated that "Claimant walked 15 metres with no noted difficulty" Yes, but had I gone another 10 feet I would have been grunting in pain!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: 21 Dec 2013 10:42PM »
What about if you stop for a rest inbetween the two? [hint]