Re: C4's Benefits street debate

• on: 19 Feb 2014 06:33PM
Ah!

Personally I call that a result.

Mabelcat

• Charter Member

• on: 19 Feb 2014 06:37PM
My favourite about people working was something in the media recently (Express?) about how if White Dee was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, then that shouldn't stop her working, look at Stephen Fry.

Er, would that be the Stephen Fry that's had to have time off sick because of his, er, bipolar disorder? Maybe the Stephen Fry who probably should have been off sick on other occasions when his failure to do so caused serious problems for others (as described by himself in Moab is my washpot)?

No, it must have been some other Stephen Fry, not the public figure, actor and presenter.

Stephen Fry also has a career which enables him to earn massive amounts of money when he can work as does Ruby Wax so they don't need to have recourse to benefits.  I heard ruby Wax speak a while ago and whist I applaud her work in breaking down barriers and reducing stigma I really felt that she doesn't begin to understand the reality of life for most of us with long term mental health conditions.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 19 Feb 2014 09:02PM
I said the same to my therapist yesteday sunny clouds.

I listened to the debate today having recorded it. It was far more civilised than I expected it to be. Dee held her head up high and her daughter is someone to be proud of imo. Many reasoned arguments were voiced and one or two who have no clue as to real life. I was pleased that many residents have since been offered help and support, shame it took for them to be ridiculed on TV first before hand but hopefully now they will see that good has come out of bad.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 19 Feb 2014 10:45PM
There are, inevitably, some very unpleasant comments in today's article about her in the Mail, which has omitted to mention that since she is under the care of either a CMHT or an Early Intervention Team (which she must be if she is being assessed for bipolar disorder) they would be asked for a report when her ESA was last renewed, and since it is ESA not IB, it won't have been very long ago.

The trouble is that it's a fair bet that a lot of the people with severe mood disorders who'd like to respond are too bleep depressed about the media's response to fight back.  I personally feel very upset about it all.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 20 Feb 2014 07:01AM
 >bighugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 20 Feb 2014 09:48AM
There are, inevitably, some very unpleasant comments in today's article about her in the Mail, which has omitted to mention that since she is under the care of either a CMHT or an Early Intervention Team (which she must be if she is being assessed for bipolar disorder) they would be asked for a report when her ESA was last renewed, and since it is ESA not IB, it won't have been very long ago.

The trouble is that it's a fair bet that a lot of the people with severe mood disorders who'd like to respond are too bleep depressed about the media's response to fight back.  I personally feel very upset about it all.

Can't say I blame you Sunny Clouds >hugs<

sickandtired

• Gold Member

• on: 20 Feb 2014 11:01AM
"Er, would that be the Stephen Fry that's had to have time off sick because of his, er, bipolar disorder? Maybe the Stephen Fry who probably should have been off sick on other occasions when his failure to do so caused serious problems for others (as described by himself in Moab is my washpot)?

No, it must have been some other Stephen Fry, not the public figure, actor and presenter."

Or the Stephen Fry who got stage-fright and didn't stop running until he reached Belgium?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 20 Feb 2014 05:24PM
No, no, that was just research for his next programme, obviously, because he's famous.

I'll take most of the hugs, feeling needy, but I can spare a couple  >hugs< >hugs< >hugs<
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

seegee

• Super Hero Member

• on: 20 Feb 2014 05:50PM
 I watched that programme today & it was a good reminder of why I don't have a telly - people talking/ shouting over each other, most not listening to anyone at all. 
There may have been an interesting debate if it had been better controlled but the presenter didn't seem to have a hope of getting people to listen to each other. 
Result was lots of unintelligible yelling. :-(

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 20 Feb 2014 07:09PM
Yes it was very loud I had to ask my OH to turn it down as I found it so disturbing.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Mabelcat

• Charter Member

• on: 20 Feb 2014 11:30PM
 >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs<

For all in need.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 21 Feb 2014 12:00AM
Ooh, goody goody, I'll have a couple more of those.  I really do feel weepy today.  It just happens that all this benefits street bleep has hit me at the same time as other stuff.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 21 Feb 2014 04:26PM
Sunny Clouds  >bighugs<

and anyone else in need  >bighugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 21 Feb 2014 07:56PM
Sunny Clouds   >bighugs<

I got round to watching the programme yesterday. In some respects, it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. It was good that Owen Jones and Mehdi Hasan were actually allowed to speak, rather than being shouted down the instant they opened their mouths.

Nevertheless, a lot of the same old lies went utterly unchallenged. Richard Bacon, who I didn't think much of as a host, trotted out the usual sewage about 'huge rises in numbers claiming disability benefits' under Labour, with no-one attempting to explain why those increases had happened, which gave the whole thing the air of an election rally for the Tories, rather than a proper debate.

'White Dee' was given the opportunity to discuss her depression, but a packed television studio is not the place to adequately convey the overwhelming emotions involved, and it wasn't helped by that horribly smug woman from the Telegraph constantly sniping about how Dee 'didn't seem to her to have the symptoms', as though she was somehow properly qualified to do so. All that's done is give every ignorant judgemental git in the country yet another excuse to place anything related to mental health inside disbelieving quotation marks. Not good.

>bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< for everyone who needs some.