"A paypacket at the end of the week"

• 8 Replies

JLR2

"A paypacket at the end of the week"

• on: 26 Mar 2014 12:30PM
To quote David Cameron at today's PMQ's, "a pay packet at the end of the week"

Might have sounded nostalgic Mr Cameron but it certainly flies in the face of IDS's Universal Credit which will benefit claimants being paid their welfare benefits on a 4 weekly basis, the DWP's explanation for this being that it would help claimants learn to budget and in their preparation for working including those returning to work from long-term disability related absences.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
"a pay packet at the end of the week"

Which he for one would never need to open except if he needed some small change, it's also something he most likely  has never personally experienced never having had to actually work for a living.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

JLR2

"has never personally experienced never having had to actually work for a living."

Oh ah don't know it can be very hard opening some jars of stuffed olives for that martini by the beach :-)

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Even casual workers working not many hours often get paid monthly & very few people get paid in cash, so the "weekly pay packet" is a thing not a lot of people have experience of. 
Most people under 50 years of age will have been paid by cheque or bank transfer all their lives; even the (un)employment office paid by (fortnightly, not weekly) girocheque to be cashed in at the PO or paid into your own bank a/c.

Perhaps he's thinking of whoever he employs as domestic help & pays cash-in-hand, choosing not to see if they pay tax on it (and thus avoiding employer's contributions). 
I pay my window-cleaner in cash (when I remember to ask him to do the windows >blush<) & don't worry about his tax/ NI arrangements; most households probably do similar for any self-employed worker. 

AccessOfficer

When I was 18 my very first Job with Post Office Engineering paid me 6 pounds 12 shillings and sixpence a week. It was paid weekly on a Friday in cash in a in a brown paper pay packet.
I remember I gave my Mum 2 pounds a week towards my keep.
Happy days.........maybe
AO

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
I'll be 50 this year & have only been paid direct to the bank or by cheque, even when doing casual work (so if I was offered a single shift the day after hours had to be sent to the office, I'd have to wait until the next monthly pay-date to get the money for it, even if that was 5 weeks away). 
When I started work at 16 (an apprenticeship in 1981) I used to give my parents 50 a month I think, but I had little other than train fare to work by way of other expenses & apprentices were paid a proper salary then.

Being unemployed after leaving my parents' home & getting paid fortnightly was the nearest I had to a weekly pay-packet, as we queued in the office to sign on then queued in the post office to cash our girocheques - must have been about 1984/5.  Got our 54 per fortnight... >lol<

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
I think there should be a choice as to how benefits are paid.  The last time I was on benefits i was paid my IB fortnightly and HB four weekly.  All my direct debits were monthly, including the rent, so I was constantly juggling.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
I have a feeling that when I was on Income Support I was paid weekly.  I hated it.  There was never enough money.  At least being paid monthly you get a large amount of money to spend.  OK so the 4th week was dismal but at least bills could be paid in one lump sum.

The biggest problem is the change-over time with bills going out and no money coming in.

JLR2

Cameron's weekly pay packet remark was simply more beer and bingo rhetoric :-(