ESA and Disability Premiums

• 13 Replies

Aster

ESA and Disability Premiums

• on: 09 Jan 2014 08:18PM
I have been reading this forum for some time and have just managed to pluck up the courage to ask if anyone has had the same experience as me when migrating to ESA from IB/Income support.

I have just received my ESA notification letter and was most relieved to find I am entitled to the Support level, however it is catagorized very differently to my IB/IS award.

The letter states;

Living Expenses                                                      71.70
Disability Income Guarantee                                    15.15
extra for Support Group                                           34.80
Top up payment to ensure no reduction in benefit      40.55

Total                                                                      162.20

At first glance I thought that is what I was expecting, but then I realised that it did not mention enhanced disability premium - this the same amount as the Disability Income Guarantee or the Severe disability premium of 59.50 - that I currently get through IS, as I claim DSA middle rate care and live on my own. I did an "entitledto" benefits calculation which showed an entitlement to this premium - less the top up payment, giving a final amount of 181.15.

Reading the guide on "entitledto" it says that you will not get a Severe Disability Premium if you are on Income based ESA - whaich is confusing. Personally I would rather that I am not entitled to any different amount as I would be afraid to appeal - I presume you are obligated to appeal if you think that the award is not correct???

I have no other source of income or anyone to support me, not being able to pay for my esential care worries me most, whilst enduring a mandatory reconsideration.

Any advice would be gratefully received Best Wishes Aster
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2014 05:25PM by SunshineMeadows »

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

Re: ESA and Disability Premiums

• on: 09 Jan 2014 08:26PM
Hello Aster.  I cannot help but I am sure that someone will be along shortly who can.  It is nice to chat to new people, so now that you have started I hope that you will continue to talk to us.  bye, bye.

Monic1511

• on: 09 Jan 2014 08:39PM
Hi Aster
ESA Support group is contribution based when you are transferred over.

When you are transferred from IB to ESA you can go from Incapacity Benefit which is a contribution based benefit with a top up of income support (paid as SDP) but when transferred you go onto Contribution based ESA only.   You will need to contact the DWP office on the letter and ask them to send you an ESA3 form.   This is to allow you to claim Income Related ESA (previously income support) on top of your contribution based ESA.

The form you get asks what income you have, any pensions, any savings, any second homes, timeshares etc and once they get that back they should reassess your case and pay you the back money - your not appealling the benefit your applying for the income related part to be paid.

best wishes
Monic

Aster

• on: 09 Jan 2014 09:02PM
Thank you Auntie for your warm welcome.

Thank you Monic for your reply, I will certainly sleep better knowing that I will not have to ask for a reconsideration but fill in another form instead - that is definately a better option, your time, expertise and effort is much appreciated!!

Thank You Aster

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 09 Jan 2014 09:45PM
Aster,

Welcome to Ouch Too, it is good to see a new member posting.

I can see that Monic already answered you question and just want to add over the past three years there has been a fair number of people getting told they are on contribution based ESA, but not being told they can apply (just fill in a form) to get Income Based benefit on top.

The Severe Disability Premium can make a big difference to people who are sick and disabled and live alone.

For more information about the criteria click on this link https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support/eligibility

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 09 Jan 2014 11:47PM
Hi Aster, I just wanted to say hello and welcome to Ouchtoo  >welcome<

Ads677

• on: 26 Mar 2014 06:13PM
My first posting here and this is on behalf of someone else.  Just as Aster, my friend receives ESA - Living Expenses, Disability Income Guarantee and Support Group payment, plus DLA Care & Mobility at the lower rate.  Due to the nature and circumstances of their disability they have been awarded compensation from the CICA.

We have been attempting to establish whether, once the award is accepted and received, any of the above benefits will be affected.  From what I read none of the above are means tested, and indeed the award takes account of the continuation of 'DSS Benefits' (although how they have arrived at the figure they quote is something of a mystery) which implies that they expect benefits to continue.

Can anyone confirm the likelihood or otherwise of these benefits being reduced?

Thanks, Ads

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 26 Mar 2014 07:01PM
Hi Ads and welcome to OuchToo  :-)

If your friend's ESA is contributions-based only with no income-related element added (this will be stated on their award notice) then the CICA payment will not affect this - or, of course, their DLA which is a non-means-tested benefit.  I assume they don't receive any other means-tested payments like Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit?

AccessOfficer

• on: 26 Mar 2014 08:01PM
Hi Aster,
Welcome to the site and it is so good to see you posting.
Best wishes
AO

Aster

• on: 26 Mar 2014 08:26PM
Just to let you know that I have started to receive an extra payment to top my ESA to 181.15, thank you for all of the advice given.

Aster

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 26 Mar 2014 09:18PM
Excellent news  >biggrin< >magic< >thumbsup<

Ads677

• on: 26 Mar 2014 11:07PM
Hi Ads and welcome to OuchToo  :-)

If your friend's ESA is contributions-based only with no income-related element added (this will be stated on their award notice) then the CICA payment will not affect this - or, of course, their DLA which is a non-means-tested benefit.  I assume they don't receive any other means-tested payments like Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit?

Thank you for your reply and, yes, the ESA payment is contributions-based only.  As a follow up question, do you think that the award will have to be declared to JobcentrePlus, bearing in mind that no other benefits are being paid (or claimed)?

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 27 Mar 2014 09:45AM
No, JobCentrePlus don't need to know about this payment as 'extra capital':  a) because no means-tested benefits are being claimed, and b) this type of compensation is exempt from 'recovery' by the DWP - more information on the Compensation Recovery Scheme here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/compensation-social-security-benefits-and-lump-sum-payments-technical-guide/compensation-social-security-benefits-and-lump-sum-payments-technical-guide-html-version

What might be useful in the future though, depending on if the criminal injuries your friend suffered are a part/whole cause of their current 'limited capability for work/work-related activity', is when their ESA renewal comes up and they are required to supply evidence of their level of impairment - the fact that CICA saw fit to make an award could be good proof of this!

>edit to correct error in link
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2014 09:48AM by KizzyKazaer »

Ads677

• on: 27 Mar 2014 10:23AM
Thank you KizzyKazaer so much for your reply, my friend will be so relieved because they couldn't see that they would be able to afford to live if the ESA was reduced or stopped even with their CICA Award.