I think I've been really stupid...

• 32 Replies

Becca7

I think I've been really stupid...

• on: 28 Apr 2014 06:56PM
I went to the job centre having been sent there by my worker regarding finding out when my esa50 was going to be sent, basically if it isn't in the next couple of weeks then my support worker can't continue with me. She couldn't phone dwp as she had another appointment and I can't manage phones so she said go ask at job centre.

It was a disaster. The woman I spoke to said it isn't due for a few months and then kept asking me why I wasn't on work programme and why someone like me was in support group and had a worker as I maintained eye contact fine and dressed fine (I've not changed my clothes for over a year and smell so I don't see how she could say I dress fine) and could obviously work. She kept trying to get me on the work programme, I'm now really really frightened I've lost my ESA. She was adamant people like me shouldn't be in support group and as I left heard her telling her colleagues I needed investigating as 'something isn't right' ;-(

Please can anyone advise me? I'm really scared. I can't get into the medical centre for a medical, something else she had a go at me about was me never having had one and how unfair it was that others did and lost money who needed it and it was given to me.

There is no CAB here and I couldn't think where else to ask.
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2014 12:27PM by SunshineMeadows »

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: I think I've been really stupid...

• on: 28 Apr 2014 07:09PM
My first reaction is, 'who the hell does that stupid woman at JC-Plus think she is anyway??'  Do you know her 'rank' as it were?  ie, is she a Personal Advisor or a receptionist?  Whatever, she had no right to speak to you like that and I would be complaining to her supervisor/manager.  I think maybe you should tell your support worker about this as soon as possible, perhaps you could go back together and ask to see someone with more authority..

Becca7

• on: 28 Apr 2014 07:16PM
I've no idea who she was Kizzy. The receptionist just asked her to see me, which she did. She was quite nice until I began saying things like no I don't need work programme  or to see disability advisor. It was the receptionist she was making the comments about something not being right to. I'm scared they can take my money.

My worker won't go with me. Literally she had one thing to do with me now and that's this week. She won't go. I rang her after I went there and she said that's just the way it is, she's been banned from continuing to see and help me and is upset about it due to the circumstances (I can't say more about that here) she is not allowed to do anything but what she is doing this week. Basically they've said I've had the support needed to do my own forms/attend job centre alone and she knows I am not.

I only wanted to know about my ESA claim not get grilled about the work programme and hear how there was something wrong with my claim. It was me mentioning being unable to use a phone and the one I had been trying being dead, she had a go about that too that I must give her a number right now.

I'm too afraid to complain about her.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2014 07:18PM by Becca7 »

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Apr 2014 07:31PM
If it all comes down to 'when is my ESA50 due' and you can't use the phone/visit the office, might be best to just write to them with this quick query - that way, you're also more likely to receive simply the information you are requesting, rather than all this other nonsense!

Becca7

• on: 28 Apr 2014 07:35PM
If I had the means to type a letter Kizzy it's what I would have done but I don't. My support worker had done all letters for me, or I had to pay for someone to do them.

And I didn't realise until I left how stupid I had been going there.  Now panicking. A lot.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Apr 2014 07:44PM
You don't have to type a letter, it's just as valid done in handwriting...

Just something on the lines of:

(remember to include your NI number as well as your name and address, it may sound like 'telling Granny to suck eggs' but you'd be surprised at the number of claimants writing in who overlooked this)

Dear Sir or Madam

I currently receive Employment Support Allowance and am aware that it is due to be reviewed soon, but I am not sure of the exact date - please could you inform me when my current award is due to end.

Many thanks

[signature etc]

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member

• on: 28 Apr 2014 07:44PM
Are you able to hand write a letter?  There is no need to type it if you don't have a  access to a computer.   
Try not to worry.  You haven't done anything wrong  >hugs<

Edit - cross posted with Kizzy

Becca7

• on: 28 Apr 2014 08:07PM
I should have explained it's very very hard for me to write anything legibly with my hands the way they are. I can't type anymore, must use speech software.

I guess I need to wait and see but very much  >confused< At moment and this is accurate description of me when leaving and realising what I could now be facing. Honestly it never occurred to me asking a simple question could cause such  a response.

Monic1511

• on: 28 Apr 2014 08:52PM
Hi Becca

is there anyone you can get to write a note for you - I think you need to write a letter or copy & paste something like this.

For the attention of the Manager
Jobcentre Plus
Street
Becca's Town

Dear Sir/Madam

My Name is Becca and my national insurance number is
I was told by my support worker that as she had run out of time today (28/4/14) I had to come to the jobcentre and ask a question myself.  I cannot write or type but use speech software. This note has been dictated & reproduced by a friend for me.   On 28/4/14 I visited the jobecentre around 12.30 pm  The question I had to ask was " when my esa50 was going to be sent to me"  This is important as my support worker has to be available to help me.

When I asked this question the worker then started to quiz me and made several personal judgements about me, my appearance and seemingly being able to deal with her as a person.   I am now terrified that this person's judgements and snap decisions will influence my award.   I have complex mental health problems which qualified medical professionals have diagnosed.  Please ask your staff not to make snap diagnosis of people with mental health issues as they are not qualified.    I would be grateful if you could let me know when I will receive an ESA50 and please do not increase my distress further as I feel my health spinning out of control.

Yours faithfully

Becca

you would need to put in the time you attended the office and tweak that if you want but if you do it would give you some sort of control and maybe that woman will be told not to make snap judgements which she has no qualifications to do so

Monic

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Apr 2014 09:13PM
Just to add to the good advice so far...

Always remember it is not the staff on the Jobcentre floor that decides who gets ESA and why it is the DWP Decision Maker. The reason for this is that the DM has a lot more information to hand as well as your ESA50.

A couple of years ago there was a documentary about people who worked in the Jobcentre have targets and what amounted to quotas, In the program advisors were on the lookout for people they could more easily get into work, because it gave them a easy 'win'. Had the advisor been in her right mind she would have realised how ridiculous she was being. Scaring the crap out of someone who voluntarily comes to the Jobcentre does suggest the advisor's level of stupidity is fairly high.

>bighugs<

devine63

• on: 29 Apr 2014 01:10AM
Hi Becca

I have strengthened the wording suggested by Monic just a bit ....   see below
regards, Deb

For the attention of the Manager
Jobcentre Plus
Street
Becca's Town

Dear Sir/Madam

My Name is Becca and my national insurance number is

I was told by my support worker that as she had run out of time today (28/4/14) I had to come to the jobcentre and ask a question myself.  My physical health issues mean I cannot write or type but I use speech software. This note has been dictated & reproduced by a friend for me.   

I am currently receiving ESA and I have been assessed and placed in the Support group.

On 28/4/14 I visited the job centre around 12.30pm.  The question I had to ask was "when is my esa50 going to be sent to me?"  This is important as my support worker has to be available to help me with it and she needs to know when that form will be sent.

When I asked this question your staff member then started to quiz me about my situation, this was in front of other people, completely ignoring my right to privacy.  She made several personal judgements about me, my appearance and my being able to deal with her as a person.   I am now terrified that this person's judgements and snap decisions will somehow influence my ESA award.   In addition to my complex physical health issues, I also have complex mental health problems which qualified medical professionals have diagnosed and the DWP has assessed me as meeting the Support Group criteria. 

Please ask your staff not to make snap diagnoses of people with mental health issues as they are not qualified to do so, and in the process they cause the person additional, unnecessary, distress.   This is disability discrimination and it is illegal under the Equality Act (2010).

I would be grateful if you could let me know when I will receive an ESA50.   Please do not increase my distress further as I feel my health spinning out of control.

Yours faithfully

Becca

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 29 Apr 2014 01:25AM
Becca >bighugs<

Becca7

• on: 29 Apr 2014 11:36AM
I've never been treated like that by someone there before. Okay they have targets, but someone who has two hands in splints are they really ready for work??? Last time I was on jsa, over 15 years ago they tried to get me off it because they considered me unfit for work, now I've deteriorated a lot, with mental health problems and I'm suddenly off to the work programme.

If I hadn't self harmed before going in it would have been a much different ending as she would have been dealing with an unstable Becca and very likely police as well. A it turned out I was able to leave though I then had problems getting my medication as pharmacist was worried, I'd lost control over responding to voices by that point. Including my time in job centre there was about 20 minutes lapsed.

I'm not even able to sleep now. I think knowing I'm losing my worker and won't have anyone to help with esa50 or be able to get medical evidence had me already upset, then this on top. Also I have other worries as well.

Anyway, lack of sleep means I ramble a lot, I will get a copy of debs letter sent to them when I can. Thank you for listening to my ramble. I wish I could believe it will be okay, but it have heard of people having their ESA awards changed by recommendations from my jobcentre, she also commented on my never having a medical and being in the support group for too long.

I've got to try and get meds for today now.

Thanks.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 29 Apr 2014 12:27PM
 >bighugs<

I added a triangle to the thread because sh is mentioned.
The fact you seem to have 'lost' twenty minutes is worrying but it is part of your health and disability.

Pennicillin is not here to ask but as far as I remember she was put in the Support Group for ESA without a medical, and she still talks on Twitter about getting higher rate DLA both groups. This does not mean dont worry but just so you know some people we know have been transferred from Incapacity Benefit to Support Group ESA without the medical.

Becca7

• on: 29 Apr 2014 05:04PM
Thank you sunshine, please accept my apologies for not putting the triangle on the thread, I had forgotten. I hope this didn't mean anyone was unintentionally upset.

I didn't explain the time thing properly I didn't mean lost in that way, I meant I had spent only a few minutes in the jobcentre and then the rest of the time in the pharmacist. I've no idea why it was relevant to the thread, but I didn't mean lost in terms of what you thought I meant, I hadn't explained properly in my post.

Thank you for letting me know about penicillin. I appreciate that.