I think I've been really stupid...

• 32 Replies

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: I think I've been really stupid...

• on: 29 Apr 2014 05:15PM
..please accept my apologies for not putting the triangle on the thread, I had forgotten. I hope this didn't mean anyone was unintentionally upset.

It's OK about the warning, you did include one on your actual post that mentioned s/h.  Sometimes we edit threads 'retrospectively' depending on how they develop and grow, so there's nothing more you could have done at the time you posted the OP!

Becca7

• on: 14 May 2014 07:32PM
To update this. I didn't get a letter done in the end, too much else to sort out at moment requiring letters and money.

I went to CAB, their last ever appointment as they are closing down, and spoke to someone there who said the jobcentre woman could put a sanction on me for any reason she wanted. She then informed me that I didn't qualify for discretionary housing payments as given I am in support group with dla I get 'a fortune' anyway. I got upset and tried to leave ,which was when the trainee stepped in. She was brilliant. She got me another advisor who rang ESA and they said a complaint would be put in against the person at the jobcentre by them and that I was not to worry or get too upset, a form would arrive soon for me to be completely reassessed.

Unfortunately that was the last appointment at CAB and I cannot get help from any other organisation to help with this form as the ones who do will only do part of the forms due to funding, either the physical or mental parts. The CAB advisor said to me that all they could have done was give me a twenty minute appointment and tick boxes only. They also said not to bother reapplying as I don't have consultants anymore at all and my GP won't be good enough for me to reapply, I can't get into the medical centre and only have a bedroom where I can see a dr, which to me is terrifying and why I've not seen the atos dr before.

I don't understand why people are being odd with me for getting the amount I do in support group or not seeing the atos dr. Am I missing something? Also I thought the dwp had suspended assessments as atos had left or wasn't that true?

I'd appreciate any comments, if you have any of course!

Monic1511

• on: 14 May 2014 09:42PM
Hi Becca

re folk being odd about you getting extra money - it depends on what stresses they are under why they get annoyed about the amount of benefit some folk get.   I remember getting really mad at a pensioner who came into my office to mean she only got £200 a week and how could she be expected to pay £6.50 council tax (water bill) each week, after all that  only left her £193.50 for food & fuel.   I was spitting mad as I got paid £153 a week for a fulll time job & had to pay full rent, council tax, travel costs & the same fuel & food bills as her.  I got a row for tellin her this  >doh< Not polite(or politic)  to tell pensioners that they appear minted compared to the lowest paid workers.

Now Im not getting at you or anyone else but I'd just been paid & new after I paid my bills I had £4.00 for the months food so my stress impacted on how I dealt with that person.

ATOS are not taking new referrals but if your claim is already in the system you can/will be called for a medical.

If you are going to apply for another DHP you would need to work out your weekly budget - how much you have coming in and exactly what you spent it on, if you can show you are left with no surplus income your more likely to be awarded a dhp.  The DHP is meant to be for people in "financial hardship" is the term my council uses.  So if your balance shows you have £10 spare then the award is likely to be refused.

hope that helps
Monic

Becca7

• on: 14 May 2014 10:41PM
Hi monic,

Thanks for replying. I rarely tell anyone what benefit I get and I never ever complain about it. But at the Same time I did feel a bit resentful at being asked why I would need dhp when I got so much money from them as it is for poor people. Did explain lack of television/telephone even a carer because of lack of money and paying for various things privately that aren't on the nhs but she said I should forget it on the grounds I had so much money. It's for the people who have jsa types of money apparently.

That said I appreciate you offering your view point. I would have been better had she actually taken account of my expenditure as a disabled person e.g. Taxis/private physiotherapy etc instead of assuming the amount I get for ESA support group plus premiums is plenty to make up a shortfall of £40 per month (my budget was minus £60 and excluded things like clothes). She kept trying to get me to apply for a grant to help with water bill but I applied for that before and was turned down as it is for excessive water bills and mine is just standard, albeit expensive.

I understand why you felt you way you did with the pensioner. This woman did keep going on about only being a volunteer it's occurred to me that she may herself be claiming jsa and perhaps that's why she expected me to manage? Thankfully the trainee stepped in and helped me.

I'm really really worried about the ESA. I physically can't fill in another form, there is no way, and I have no money to pay for someone else to. I don't have a printer so can't send it to someone to fill in and the post it off. So I guess they will just take it away? I can't get in the medical centre and will not under any circumstances have any assessments in my bedroom (I don't have anywhere else to see them). I'm really worried about this. Should I just give up and go on JSA? As I've been discharged the consultants won't give me letters without seeing me again, they aren't allowed to and the waiting list is too long. I'd thought atos had left so I wouldn't lose my money but it looks like I now will be.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 15 May 2014 09:53AM
Becca, just try your best with the form, even a sentence twice a day will build up. You will need to see an Atos professional if asked to, can you not see them in your lounge? You won't need to undress, just sit and talk to them.

I can empathise, I have a DLA application form sat looking at me and atm I can't muster up anything to make a start but know that I have to. You are going to lose your benefit though if you do not complete forms or accept a medical when requested so it's a case of pushing through the pain. Thinking of you.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 15 May 2014 11:19AM
DHP Discretionary housing payments.

I remember reading how much a person on Income based ESA with the extra premiums eg the one people who get middle rate care DLA get when they live alone, and thinking it looked a lot of money. However on the letters that come with the claim outcomes they DWP state that the amount you are getting is what the law says you should get.

It is a difficult topic because there are a lot of people who are worse off who turn up advice centres with no money at all and nowhere to live. This is still no excuse for the advisor you saw to be so judgemental but I can see why.

I agree with Fiz.

Also want to add that if a claim has been ongoing for years and previous medical evidence was accepted and your health and disabilities remains the same new medical evidence is not necessarily needed for a new claim. The form GPs fill in for the DWP is very basic and asks about the conditions a patient has for conformation rather than a detailed description.

I realise you cant fill in the form by hand but there are ESA50 forms available online https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/300228/esa-50.pdf

This form will only work if you:
•save it to your computer, then

•open it in Acrobat Reader version 8.1.2 or later

I know you are using a iPad so it would be good if you could see if the form downloads and saves okay and also if it lets you fill it in electronically.
thank you.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member

• on: 15 May 2014 12:48PM
Becca, is it possible you could type out your answers in a text file and then email that to someone for them to fill in the form? You could get a paper copy sent to you so you'd have the questions and wouldn't need to be online.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 15 May 2014 12:55PM
.... and forget about 'giving up and going on JSA' because you will still be left with yet another round of forms to fill in  >erm<

Becca7

• on: 15 May 2014 04:36PM
I'm replying quickly and only got as far as fiz on the replies, I am not ignoring the rest of you!

I cannot fit my information on the forms. I only have a bedroom, there is no lounge in this building, which has a hob in it and a bathroom which literally has a bath, toilet and sink, no room for more than one person. So I would have no choice but to see atos in my bedroom, I don't have anywhere else. I can't print from the ipad, nor does it open the file properly for me to edit it.

Finally, I do understand there are people worse off with nothing, people here struggling to get ESA I really do, which was why I needed her to look at my budget instead of being judgemental.

I'm not ignoring the rest of you, I hope to come back, having a real day of things 'hitting the fan' but didn't want you to think I'm ignoring you!

Thanks!
Becca.

Monic1511

• on: 15 May 2014 07:49PM
Hi Becca

Its okay we accept that you can't reply to everyone.   I wonder if you could email your councils benefits team asking them if you could get assistance to complete a DHP if you provided them with all the info.   I'm thinking of something along thses lines (bear with me)

Dear Sirs,
I would like to apply for a DHP but due to my disabilities cannot complete the paper form and struggle to deal with social situations.  I am struggling financially and as you can see from the list below I do not have extra income as I have to spend all my disability benefits on the extra cost I have.
My Income is ESA £(amount) & DLA (amount)  These are weekly figures although I am sure you know I get paid ESA every 2 weeks and DLA 4 weekly.
My expenditure is
Rent Shortfall £
Council Tax  £
Water Bill £
Electricity £
Gas £
Food Bill £
Taxi Bill £
Clothing Costs £
Mobile Phone bill £
TV/Landline/Internet bill £
Toiletries (you can add this to the food bill & call it housekeeping) £
House Insurance £
Life Insurance £
Hire Purchase £
Catalogue Bills £
Creditors (any other expenses) £

Total weekly expenditure £
Total Weekly Income £
Balance Left (even if this is a negative put it in) £

As you can see I have no spare funds to pay the under occupation charge and the stress of getting into debt is exacerbating my mental health issues.

I would be grateful if you could consider this claim and if you require the information on your official application form I would be grateful if you could arrange for a visiting officer to contact me where they would complete the form and I would sign the form.

Yours sincerely
Becca.

If you sent that in an email with a copy to whichever councillor covers your ward you should get a response especially just now as its election time.

best wishes
monic

devine63

• on: 15 May 2014 09:56PM
Hi

I have a suggestion for Becca and any others who may be getting hassle saying they should use their disability benefits for anything other than their purpose:

I think you should complete two separate income and outgoings statements, one for the disability benefits and one for the other income.   On the disability benefits sheet show your DLA and any other disability benefits income.  Then show all of your disability related expenses and outgoings.   From having spoken to Becca before I know that her disability related costs will be greater than her disability related income - hopefully for most people the disability related costs will be about the same as the DR income.

On the other (2nd) income / outgoings sheet show all of your other income and all of your other costs.
Becca in your case the disability related costs which are not covered by your DR income should be shown as an additional expense on your outgoings column.

Your aim overall is to show that every penny of your "generous" disability related income is already used up and that there are still costs to be paid - so it makes it really easy for them to see why that money is not for other purposes.   If you like you could add a comment at the bottom of the sheet such as :
disability related benefits are awarded specifically and only for personal care and transport costs.  I believe that it could be fraud if I were to spend my disability related income for any purpose other than my disability related costs.

I believe your doctor should be able to confirm the extra disability related costs (such as physio) and that you are not permitted to get that help on the NHS.   And as Monic said the GP could also write confirming earlier medical evidence and she could add that you have now been discharged by your consultants because there is little they can do to help improve your symptoms.

regards, Deb

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 16 May 2014 03:02AM
I'm wondering why there is an under occupancy reduction in housing benefit when you are living in a bed sitting room? I thought the under occupancy reduction was for people who had spare bedrooms? Apologies if this has been explained before Becca and I've missed it elsewhere.

Becca7

• on: 16 May 2014 09:50AM
Sorry another quick reply, am almost at the end of my internet quota.

I have done the dhp form, I forgot to explain that, sorry, but haven't got anything back, when I rang I was told it was rejected and they only replied to those who where successful. I will ask for it in writing.

I did two separate budgets for disability related costs, I started doing that last year, the difficulty is my council think housing is a disability related cost so should come from dla. I asked about the Hansard stuff, but apparently it was only recommended councils didn't include dla so they don't have to exclude it.

I don't have an under occupancy charge fiz, it's to make up the shortfall between rent and LHA, in order to keep costs down the LHA is now calculated using three counties worth of rents, which makes living near a hospital/populated area near impossible on LHA now.

I hope this makes sense and isn't too bitty.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 17 May 2014 02:26PM
DLA mobility = taxis or fuel for someone to drive you to doctors/ to a shop/ to CAB/ to JC+.
DLA care = physio/ other treatments/ someone to help with personal care/ someone to help with planning & preparing meals.

If that's right & there's none left over the council are asking you to pay rent with what exactly? 
Oh yes, of course, money that you're already spending on food, cleaning your home, heating, cooking & lighting, water bill - are they especially hard-of-understanding or is this kind of stupidity common in local authorities? >doh<
 >hugs< Becca

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 17 May 2014 05:27PM
My LA only award DHP for a maximum of 6 months to anyone. Gives the tenants time to find somewhere cheaper is their philosphy. In some ways my LA is better than others but in other ways, they tow a hard line.