Changing your opinion

• 22 Replies

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member

Re: Changing your opinion

• on: 03 May 2014 09:28PM
Wow, I would love to back in time and meet your cousin.  What a fascinating experience to have lived through.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 03 May 2014 11:07PM
He was pretty amazing himself he coined the term weather forecast drew up early weather charts was the first head of what is now the Meteorological Office and if he had not wanted a companion on the voyage Darwin would never have gone. If you listen to the shipping forecast there is now sea area Fitzroy named for him.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 04 May 2014 12:08AM
Because of my distant cousin Vice-Admiral Robert FitzRoy. Who sailed around the world with Charles Darwin for five years and still remained a fundamentalist creationist.

I used to live in a street names after him.

http://www.fitzroy.org.uk/Publisher/File.aspx?ID=29083   (.pdf file)

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 04 May 2014 12:33AM
Yes that's him. Died penniless as he had spent his entire personal fortune on public works.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 04 May 2014 06:19PM
Well that seems to have been well-planned.  He would not have been able to take it with him, after all.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 04 May 2014 06:53PM
He had a wife and daughter.

(from the wiki)

FitzRoy died having exhausted his entire fortune (6,000, the equivalent of 400,000 today) on public expenditure. When this came to light, in order to prevent his wife and daughter living in destitution, his friend and colleague Bartholomew Sulivan began an Admiral FitzRoy Testimonial Fund, which succeeded in getting the government to pay back 3,000 of this sum (Darwin contributed a further 100). Queen Victoria gave the special favour of allowing his widow and daughter the use of grace and favour apartments at Hampton Court Palace, until her death.

It has occurred to me that if anyone where to go to the wiki it may contain triggers so thought it may be best to add a warning to that effect.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2014 07:06PM by Dic Penderyn »

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 04 May 2014 07:17PM
Sound idea, Dic. Thanks >hugs<

Fizzbw

• on: 06 May 2014 03:08PM
What a fascinating ancestor Dic!

As for mind changing, generally my mind gets broadened rather than changed but if I get new info that really means that I have to change my mind I do. But we all suffer from varying levels of cognitive dissonance.

There are also fundamentals of thought, like I will never think that hitting an animal is ok, so I'm not going to change my mind about that. Or putting shoes on horses, though I can see cases where it's the last resort if the owner can't produce the right environment. But that's a controversial one!

I'm never going to change my mind and agree with the Tories or UKIP though. But even these people may have the odd good idea, sometimes being open minded is as much about not ruling out everything a person says just because you abhor them.

Fx