DLA renewal

• 38 Replies

Fiz

• Charter Member

DLA renewal

• on: 03 Jun 2014 01:17PM
I'm working my way through my DLA renewal form. Question 33 asks if I need someone with me when walking outdoors in unfamiliar places. I put yes, despite social anxiety preventing me from finding having anyone with me helpful because I can't really go to unfamiliar places without anxiety and panic so don't do it unless forced.

More complicated is question 34 which says "How many days a week do you need someone with you when you are outdoors?"
It doesn't specify outdoors as being unfamiliar places. I only go to the local shop, my local CTT/GP and the gym and can do that alone and that is my life. So do I not need anyone with me at all? 0 days?

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: DLA renewal

• on: 03 Jun 2014 04:39PM
Although the catch-all term 'outdoors' is used in the question, it does actually mean unfamiliar places when it comes to the decision on lower-rate mobility awarded on mental health supervision' grounds; the decision-maker won't take account of places you go (or don't) that you know well. 

Remembering my own award of LRM, what you need to state is:  what might happen to put you in danger if you tried to go to an unfamiliar place alone (example: you have trouble finding places as you easily become overwhelmed and lose sense of direction; as a result of this, you then become agitated/disorientated and also lose traffic awareness, and might step into the road at the wrong time. )  And add to that, 'if someone was with me, they would be able to ..(explanation of what companion would do/say to enable you to reach the destination safely)

Basically you need to show that you would be more likely to 'make use of the facility of the outdoors' if you have supervision.    If you say that you wouldn't visit unknown places no matter how much supervision was provided, then you won't qualify for mobility on these grounds.

Think about, if you could start to enjoy being somewhere different as a result of someone being with you to help, how many days a week might you do this?

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 03 Jun 2014 04:49PM
Thanks, that's helpful. Thing I need to rethink how I worded the previous answer too now.

Monic1511

• on: 03 Jun 2014 10:31PM
I always answer the number of days per week as 7 days a week, especially if you have a condition that doesn't go away,  if you say "Varies" or "several" they will ask - you need to require the assistance for the "Majority" of the time.

Okay you can go familiar places alone but do you ever go unfamiliar places alone?  Put 7 as if its a bad week I doubt you go anywhere unfamiliar

Monic

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 04 Jun 2014 05:41AM
absolutely, if it's a bad week I don't venture out of bed! It's getting about outdoors that I know I have improved on over the years. When I last applied my anxiety was such I would have a panic attack in my local shop and flee and now I can walk into the shop, buy what I need (if my ED doesn't get in the way) and go home. But yes, it's hard or impossible for me to go anywhere unfamiliar. I am going to have to really push myself to get to physio sessions and am not certain how I will manage.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 07 Jun 2014 11:41AM
Fiz,

The thing about going to physio is that it can be seen in a different way than going out for leisure purposes. Physio is something that will help make you physically better and also become a familiar place after a few visits. Also going to physio or hospital appointments is going to something where people are expected to be there to help you.

I think the form has a section on it where you put what you would do if you could eg go out to pub, cinema, on holiday etc. If you want to do anything like that but cant on your own then I think it is worth putting on the form.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 10 Jun 2014 08:02PM
I posted it off today. It wasn't as comprehensively completed as I would have liked but my concentration levels are pretty low and even doing it bit by bit a little each day really took it out of me. I have found it really demoralising sending complete strangers my care plan and assessments, I feel ashamed to be in such a state to be honest. Is that normal? I probably wouldn't feel ashamed if my difficulties were physical, but feel I should be stronger or be better now mentally.

I just hope it gets there and they don't lose it because I couldn't muster up the motivation to copy it.  >doh<

devine63

• on: 10 Jun 2014 09:34PM
Hi Fiz

it's usual for the process to be demoralising ...  and there is no time frame within which you "should" be better!
regards, Deb

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 10 Jun 2014 09:35PM
I have found it really demoralising sending complete strangers my care plan and assessments, I feel ashamed to be in such a state to be honest. Is that normal? I probably wouldn't feel ashamed if my difficulties were physical, but feel I should be stronger or be better now mentally.

Wrestled with that one the majority of my life, Fiz!  Have only relatively recently accepted that my brain chemicals just won't balance themselves correctly through sheer force of will alone - or I'd have 'sorted myself out' decades ago, who'd live with mental illness out of choice? 

And for a couple of weeks after returning my own DLA form back in 2007, I had many conflicting emotions about what I'd disclosed, considering I'd told truths on that form that couldn't be talked about with my own family.  We get so used to putting the brave face on, we can almost feel like we've 'let ourselves down' if we show vulnerability, does that make sense?   Also, people who've been abused in any way are often used to keeping schtum about 'negative' feelings, so just the act of being honest about our struggles can lead to a certain amount of discomfort and triggering.  But - it does pass.   >x-fingers< for the DLA result you deserve!

Monic1511

• on: 10 Jun 2014 09:47PM
Hi Fiz
 >hugs< yes it is depressing completing these forms, I always say that to people when I'm doing their forms and try to cheer them up by explaining that its normal feeling that way
best wishes
Monic

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 10 Jun 2014 09:54PM
Fiz,

>bighugs<

The process of claiming DLA leaves almost any of use feeling awful because it feels like it is all about how crap are bodies/minds are. I think a lot of disabled people have very judgemental and if only thoughts and feelings about not being able to do this we used to or never could do. It is rare for any disability to be because of something we deliberately did or did not do. There will be other disabled people doing better or worse than we as individuals do with what we have in life and this is not because we/other people are lazy or useless. It has to do with every life being unique, from the genetics of our bodies and brains to the opportunities and knock backs we get.

I was a wreck after filling in Mr Sunshine's DLA Renewal because it is so sad and disappointing. In some was feeling ashamed can feel like it helps because it can fool you into thinking you have more control of what happens than you do.

It is important to keep trying and seeing what can make you life better but at the same time remember at 9pm tonight a great number of people will be sat slouch in front of their tvs eating junk food, farting, burping and leaving the washing up to 'soak'. For them it is called having a relaxing evening and by them I mean able bodied and disabled people. Gosh I know there is a point in there somewhere.

More  >bighugs<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 10 Jun 2014 10:05PM
..at the same time remember at 9pm tonight a great number of people will be sat slouch in front of their tvs eating junk food, farting, burping

Damn, that could be me watching 'Big Brother'  >lol<   ;-)

There will be other disabled people doing better or worse than we as individuals do with what we have in life and this is not because we/other people are lazy or useless. It has to do with every life being unique, from the genetics of our bodies and brains to the opportunities and knock backs we get.

I am going to emblazon this in letters of fire across my memory - might even make a good OuchToo motto sort of thing   >spoonarmy<

Becca7

• on: 10 Jun 2014 10:12PM
I know what you mean fiz. Sorry not very good with words right now.

Want to add the bit Kizzy quoted about people being unique being our ouchtoo motto is very very good idea and true.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 11 Jun 2014 06:23AM
I have found it really demoralising sending complete strangers my care plan and assessments, I feel ashamed to be in such a state to be honest. Is that normal? 

Yep, that's pretty much how I feel when filling the forms out.  >hugs<

Congrats on getting the renewal done. It's never an easy task.  >bighugs<

The process of claiming DLA leaves almost any of use feeling awful because it feels like it is all about how crap are bodies/minds are. I think a lot of disabled people have very judgemental and if only thoughts and feelings about not being able to do this we used to or never could do. It is rare for any disability to be because of something we deliberately did or did not do. There will be other disabled people doing better or worse than we as individuals do with what we have in life and this is not because we/other people are lazy or useless. It has to do with every life being unique, from the genetics of our bodies and brains to the opportunities and knock backs we get.

>thumbsup<

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 21 Jun 2014 09:32PM
I got a letter today saying they have received my form. They may write to other people if they need more information or someone from the local social security office might come and visit me at home (!) but if they have enough information that may make a decision with what they have got. If I haven't heard within 8 weeks I should contact them.

When I saw the brown envelope with a thin small piece of white paper in I thought it was a sorry to tell you but you are not eligible type letter! At least I know they got it and it's being processed and 8 weeks is before current award ends so there should be no gap.