Atos was 'lightning rod' for anger over benefit changes

• 8 Replies

lankou

• Charter Member
Link to video of the Work and Pensions Committee meeting the BBC article is about, (Transcript not available yet.)

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=15486

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Facing questioning by the Commons Work and Pensions Committee, Atos senior vice president Lisa Coleman acknowledged the firm had not got everything right since October 2010.

She also conceded an inability to make a sufficient profit was a factor in the firm's decision to withdraw from the contract, for which it has had to pay compensation.

But she said Atos had become a "lightning rod" for public anger with the principle of the fitness-to-work assessments and it was "massively over-simplistic" to think a change of provider would change that.

"Unless something is done around educating people what the actual operational reality of that policy really is and what they mean potentially for individuals going through that then I find it difficult to see that actually just changing the supplier will change things," she said.

"We often find that when somebody makes a comment that Atos has done an assessment incorrectly, actually, against the policy, what has happened has been right,.

"It is very difficult to understand that somebody with a very challenging or quite a difficult condition doesn't go through the process as you might expect."

It would have been great if she had said this when ATOs stilll had the contract, but at least she is saying it now.

I do think that if we did not have the internet to bring us together and let people share their varied experiences of ATOs then it would have been much easier for the DWP and ATOs to move ahead with the welfare changes without the backlash.

Fizzbw

The Guardian have an article on the same subject but with a slightly differing view point.

Fx

Offworld

• Charter Member
The Atos VP is at least partly correct -- a change of "tester" company no more alters the guiding dogmas than would a change of government from Coalition to Miliband's 'Labour'.
What is not named but seems to be implied in her comment, is that Unum would still be there, unchallenged ... concocting welfare/work/health related policies, and excuses for these policies ... and that US multinational happens to be adviser to both the present government and their alleged opposition in parliament.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
I don't know why anybody thinks that national governments run anything any more Unum and their ilk do not advise they instruct.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2014 09:55PM by Dic Penderyn »
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
In my opinion it wouldn't matter who does the medical assessment - the problem is in the descriptors.

this is partly recognised or we wouldn't have had the harrington reviews
monic

lankou

• Charter Member
In my opinion it wouldn't matter who does the medical assessment - the problem is in the descriptors.

this is partly recognised or we wouldn't have had the harrington reviews
monic

The problem is the assessment is based on the biopsychosocial model of disability that has no place whatsoever in any assessment of entitlement to benefits.  The main disability charities swallowed it hook line and sinker back in the early 1990s and it has taken them this long to realise they were sold a turd.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member