Benefit situation (long sorry)

• 71 Replies

Becca7

Benefit situation (long sorry)

• on: 13 Jul 2014 11:19PM
My discretionary housing payments (dhp) were stopped and I'm not allowed to renew them as it was decided I could afford to pay my own rent.

I have no doctors, and despite what I've been given in writing, my gp and others have been told, all care and support via cmht and social services has been suspended for several months. I've applied for help elsewhere and it has been refused as cmht are funded to provide that help (I don't want to go into more details on that here).

My other consultants stopped seeing me when I was long term assigned a social worker with cmht to help me deal with mental health but also issues with being disabled e.g. Housing/benefit. The social worker left, the replacement refused to help saying I should be in work and not allowed benefits. The physical consultants are now hundreds of miles away and refuse to give letters to support applications, ignoring the fact they are not seeing me, there are two issues, one my conditions are genetic and will never improve in fact they will only get worse and are treatment resistant due to the combination I have (if I had the conditions on their own help would be possible), second they must change me £75 per page for supporting documentation (that's the minimum charge). They won't give me anymore letters stating the same thing, even if it says the same thing I must be charged again and know I cannot pay hence not giving me letters. Even my gp is no longer allowed to give supporting letters for free (they change £40 per page and again will not do a letter for the same reasons). All I've been told by them is I shouldn't have to keep reapplying (they don't understand it's not up to me).

Someone in the building I have learnt is stealing my post. I found this out yesterday I was given a red bill by the postman.

My ESA stops four weeks. I've not had an ESA50. Even if I did I have no way to fill it in and send it off. I can't get medical evidence I've sent before. I cannot get into the medical centre and cannot have a medical at home (no space, I've a tiny room with kitchenette with room for one person and likewise tiny bathroom, and I have confidentiality issues being seen there).

I'm really really scared my ESA will be taken as well.

I know the jobcentre plus woman I wrote about two months ago contacted ESA to complain about me not having a medical after CAB (now closed) contacted them about when my benefit would be renewed and the person she spoke to mentioned it and CAB woman unfortunately told them I could use a phone really and questioned whether I should be in support group to ESA!! I've no way of filling in a form, I've no means to do it online either, shortly my internet access will run out as it's on pay as you go or print it out. The library is not an option, I cannot get it done in the twenty minute slot that is allowed and they don't allow forms to be saved in any form and I can't afford to print it even if I could get it don't in that time.

I'm really really panicking. I've exhausted all options I have here and am frightened. I know of two people locally who have had their ESA support group taken away altogether, one died and the other gave up and is on JSA. Appeals take much much longer here than anywhere else due to the location and  there is no help for appeals now due to loss of CAB (I'd still have to pay for medical letters and cant afford to), I suspect the loss of CAB will impact on the number of people being denied ESA now as there is no help with appeals process at all. DIAL is hundreds of miles away. MIND won't get involved as I'm physically disabled (they can't cope with claims for people with mental health issues). More and more people here are being turned down. Probably because of the loss of services and lack of support to appeal making it easier to get away with doing so.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Benefit situation (long sorry)

• on: 14 Jul 2014 08:33AM
There seems to be two main issues here:

1) filling in the ESA50 form

2) supplying the medical evidence to go with it

Slicing it right down to 'how do we get this done', an option that is left to you regarding 1) is to have an appointment at the JobcentrePlus office for a member of staff to write in your answers to the form.  (Yes, office 'interviews' can be arranged for this purpose for those who find it difficult to complete the paperwork and have no-one else to help them).

As for 2), you said you'd sent in medical evidence before.  This will still be on file.  So a brief covering letter could be attached to the new ESA50 to explain that you supplied this for your last claim and are having difficulties obtaining repeat letters due to the charging policy - if the DWP/ATOS still want new evidence, they can jolly well write to the doctors themselves!

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 14 Jul 2014 08:39AM
MP/AM/ local councillor (I know you've probably tried them all several times before, but another letter can do no harm & they could be getting so many cases of people having difficulties with the systems they are beginning to bend)?
I don't know of any practical way to help, so can only offer this... >bighugs< >chocolate<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 14 Jul 2014 09:00AM
Just a couple of things for now.

I agree with what Kizzy said about the DWP having your medical information on file. Given you have a genetic condition it will be similar to my situation with Cerebral Palsy I dont have to keep proving it.

Secondly I could download the ESA50 and make a writeable offline version for you would you like me to?

>bighugs<

Becca7

• on: 14 Jul 2014 11:32AM
The jobcentre staff will not help. They've told me to phone ESA for a form, send it back blank with a signature or cross and go for a medical. They said I must supply up to date evidence and I do not belong in support group, I should be back in work by now as I've worked before and look well and healthy. They really have it in for me now after me going there in April.

I am never going back there again. It's really upset me going there this morning.

Even if the DWP  do keep things on file the council and social services don't so it doesn't solve the  problem of services and money being stopped by them because I can't do their form or pay for medical letters.

I've been sent no form, or have and someone has stolen it. so I don't even know when it is due back.

My MP wants ESA stopped for all except the terminally ill and everyone else on JSA (no it's not IDS)  He is very set in the people he will help, namely the people who vote for him which in my area are the elderly he can easily win on their votes alone and knows it. The AM doesn't have an office and her email bounces as her inbox is too full  >erm<

I'll try and pop back later but I know my internet will die any time now.

Sorry am very upset after jobcentre so this may not make sense.

Thanks for replying.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 14 Jul 2014 01:08PM
How about Sunshine's suggestion?

Also, I had another thought - perhaps a kind-hearted person in your church might give the time to sit down with you and do the writing part of the ESA50.  By my logical thought processes, there must be at least one helpful individual in that sort of setting who would be willing to be a good Christian and assist another in need!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 14 Jul 2014 01:21PM
Becca,

Are you still getting DLA and ESA at the moment? It is just I am thinking keeping online should be a priority for you because you can get some of the help you need.

Look on it as an investment.

You dont have to go back to the Jobcentre to claim ESA and the people who talked to you don't decide whether or not your claim is renewed.
In regards to the medical there are people on Ouch Too who did not have to go for a medical assessment when they renewed their ESA claim and I dont really see why you could not be one of them.

To put this claim in you need access to a printer which you can get from Amazon for around £30, stationary, stamps and access to the internet to download an electronic copy of the form and to get advice where you need it.

It is important that you try to pull yourself out feeling defeated because failing to fill in the form would be the worst thing you could do. I am not saying pull yourself together but find a way to allow yourself to do stuff and at the same time feeling upset and frightened about the outcome.

Look at what happen to Steve he went like a bunny in head lights saw a ton of obstacles and sat still whereas had he got to the doctors sooner he would have started receiving money once the DWP reviewed his claim and he started the appeal process.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 16 Jul 2014 12:27PM
Becca,

Sometimes being offered solutions that you can do for yourself can feel uncomfortable because you have to find within you the motivation to try. Online help is limited and none of us can sit opposite you and help you fill in the form. The lack of personal physical presence of another person helping might cause you to feel to alone in this, and if that happens you need to try to be your own best friend. Look at it this way I have seen you post help, advice and comforting words to people here on Ouch Too so I know you can help others. If the forms make you feel like a deer in headlights try to think about how you would help someone else in the exact same position as you.

I created the writeable ESA50 pdf form for you and have attached it to this post. I looked up how the iPad you have works and it should open the file automatically so please let me know how that goes.

I should also be able to make a writeable pdf version of the Housing Benefit form you mentioned recently but in order to do that I would need to know which council to get the original form from. You can PM me the information so I can help if you want me to. Also check the council website for yourself because when researching the option after you mentioned the form I discovered quite a few council websites already let claimants fill in Housing benefit forms online.

Sometimes the help we are offered is not the help we want but it can be the help we need. I hope you come back and post to this thread.

>bighugs<

Becca7

• on: 16 Jul 2014 01:10PM
The ESA50 attachment does not work properly. It opens a form to be printed, with no images on it. I can't afford a printer. I don't know how you know what ipad make I have or am using as I have never posted that information.

I'm not giving any indication of where I live to *anyone* on the internet other than general information. My council does not have files on their website people must go to the office where they are given them.

I must go as I need to get medication. I will attempt to return to thread and posting but internet that was paid for with ipad runs out any day (it is time limited regardless of whether it is used or not).

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 16 Jul 2014 03:44PM
I don't know how you know what ipad make I have or am using as I have never posted that information.

You have mentioned having an iPad I checked that the file I created could be opened using a iPad.

Which program/app is opening the pdf? You might need to tell it to open the pdf with the correct program.

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 16 Jul 2014 04:31PM
There is only one 'make' of iPad and that is Apple, although there are several versions. Should be ok expect perhaps for very old versions.

However, iPad has become a somewhat generic term for all tablets including Android and Windows based. Still I doubt there is much difference operationally between versions of Adobe Reader across all OSs.

Not sure how you tell a tablet how to open a particular file type with a particular app as you can with desktop Windows. Maybe one needs a File Manager app?

Monic1511

• on: 16 Jul 2014 07:39PM
Becca
the form should open on your ipad as long as you have adobe reader, it says at the top of the one I opened "you can save this"  Please give it a try.

otherwise you would need to go to this link
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/300228/esa-50.pdf
and it says at the top of the page
This form will only work if you:
•save it to your computer, then
•open it in Acrobat Reader version 8.1.2 or later.

Unfortunately other users of the website are limited in what they can do for you, I would agree with others that you should maybe ask if someone at your church could help you.   My church congregation know I do this job so tend to bring me all their forms when they get them. >doh< ;-)

Sunshine Meadows - Thank you very much for making that version of the form - I tried it once and gave up as I had problems getting all the different fields to change to make them accept type.  >thumbsup< I think there will be several people who will  find it helpful, even if Becca can't use it.

>hugs<
Monic

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 17 Jul 2014 11:48AM
Oldtone,

Good advice  >thumbsup<
If Becca is still stuck after we have more Q and A I can still ask Mr Sunshine to ask one of the Apple support advisors where he works.

Monic,

Sunshine Meadows - Thank you very much for making that version of the form - I tried it once and gave up as I had problems getting all the different fields to change to make them accept type.  >thumbsup< I think there will be several people who will  find it helpful, even if Becca can't use it.

>biggrin< as it turned out I did not have to do as much as I thought because it was straightforward after installed a trial version of  Adobe XI. I am pleased it works and will be useful to people.

Becca,

In regards to the form for Housing Benefit I was initially offended that you did not want to trust me with the name of your local council because it was not like I was asking for actual personal details, but each to there own. I can still help you though eg if you gave me the name of say four councils including your own and I made four electronic forms then you would remain anonymous amongst the 100,000s of people living in those four areas.

I agree with Kizzy and Monic about asking for help at the church you go to, they will have a printer and paper and might do it for free or maybe the old 10p a sheet.

We really do need to find a way that works for you because not getting the ESA renewal claim and Housing Benefit claim in is simply not an option because you cant live on fresh air.

>bighugs<

Becca7

• on: 17 Jul 2014 12:17PM
Thanks for the replies. My internet package stopped last night. I can only now come here if I go to where there is free wifi.

Richard_D

• Charter Member and Volunteer

• on: 20 Jul 2014 11:31PM
Thanks for the replies. My internet package stopped last night. I can only now come here if I go to where there is free wifi.

Are there any free wiki zones close to where you are that you can access?

Take Care.  >hugs<

July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.