Cycling with limited hearing or deafness

• 6 Replies

suessad

• Charter Member and Volunteer
I never thought about the use of these badges, until I found this on a Dutch site.

http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/2014/08/cycling-with-limited-hearing-or-deafness.html

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
That's a really good idea. Interesting article  >tah<

Frances

• Charter Member
Just clicked on your link Suessad Up popped a warning from my Antivirus say its part of a fraud and they have blocked it !!!
You need to give love to receive it.

Sunshine

Frances,

I am using Norton Security software and the link loaded okay so I copied the photo.

>attachment<

Having a sign like that on the back of bikes is a great idea because it means the person who is partially or totally deaf can do something to help other people behave in a fair manner.

Yesterday I was on a cycle way on my Powertrike and there was a lad ahead of me walking in the middle of the path I shouted Excuse me but got no response so slowed right down before I went passed. I thought he must have music blaring in his ears (kids today  >whistle<) but I guess he may have been deaf.

Yvette

What a good idea.  But it needs to be publicized so the general public can understand its meaning.

I often feel I need a badge to wear to advertise that I am hard of hearing as I get tired of having to tell people that I cannot hear and ask them to speak up!

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Unfortunately this brings up the problem of notification of a disability vs attracting too much attention to the disability.

suessad

• Charter Member and Volunteer
What a good idea.  But it needs to be publicized so the general public can understand its meaning.

I often feel I need a badge to wear to advertise that I am hard of hearing as I get tired of having to tell people that I cannot hear and ask them to speak up!

I agree that more publication is needed. You can buy silly little lapel badges. Time the RNID in this country, looked into what other countries are offering.

Unfortunately this brings up the problem of notification of a disability vs attracting too much attention to the disability.

Sadly some do take advantage when notified of some-ones disability but, in our area, walk ways are shared with speeding pushbikes.