Applying for PIP affecting ESA?

• 10 Replies

Fizzbw

Applying for PIP affecting ESA?

• on: 09 Oct 2014 02:57PM
Hi,

I'm in the support group of ESA, due for my 3 year assessment in January (if it ever comes...) I'm not getting DLA as I applied twice, without help and got refused each time and didn't appeal.

My main issue is pain, it's invisible obviously and fluluctuating. It can be incapacitating and is increased by any exertion (physical or mental). I can't be on my own for long and I find caring for myself difficult for several reasons. My condition has worsened since I applied before, but is intrinsically the same apart from further useless operations.

I've recently met several people who were in receipt of DLA and who wondered why I wasn't. I realise everyone is differnt, but I'm wondering if it's worth trying again, especially as now we are Benefits and Work members and my dad recently met an expert on the subject. But he didn't ask her what I see as my biggest issue/fear.

This is, if I apply for PIP and don't get it again, will it affect my ESA, even if it shouldn't? I have very little trust.

Thanks Fizzbw xxx

Monic1511

Re: Applying for PIP affecting ESA?

• on: 10 Oct 2014 05:02PM
Hi
When you apply for PIP the DWP & ATOS or Capita (whoever does the medical) will have access to your ESA report, as this report got you into the support group I would apply for PIP.  You need to remember they are taking 9 months to make a decision - 6 month wait for a medical and then 3 months after that to get the result  >doh<
Best wishes
Monic

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog

• on: 10 Oct 2014 06:38PM
6 months? I've been waiting 10!!!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Sunshine

• on: 10 Oct 2014 09:00PM
Stuff going on at home so I have been around less, I will try to give a more complete answer tomorrow.

as now we are Benefits and Work members

I did not renew the membership in February because I found I rarely used the site which is not saying it is not a good site it is just I found Google and some other sites quicker for me to use.

The Government seemed to keep tweeking the rules and regulations for PIP so I have not remain as up to date as I would like. Now the autumn is here we will probably get more people asking about welfare rights so we are going to get the ball rolling again and put some extra effort into this area of Ouch Too.

Monic's info is up to date and both Kizzy and I are on the ball when it comes to things like ESA, and other benefits just not so much on PIP.

Sunshine

• on: 11 Oct 2014 01:08PM
Fizzbw,

This is, if I apply for PIP and don't get it again, will it affect my ESA, even if it shouldn't? I have very little trust.

Monic already mentioned how PIP assessors have access to and can use the information you gave for your ESA claim and this works the other way round too ie the Decision maker looking at DLA or PIP information if you are also claiming that.

I agree with Monic  when she says apply for PIP however it would be worth getting a copy of you ESA 85A or B >attachment< see attachment. That way you will have a better idea of why you got put into the Support Group and for how long. This will help you keep the information you put onto your claim for PIP consistent with what you put on your ESA50 form and gave in any assessments.  For example, if you said on your ESA form if you said you can walk 20 metres then you say on your PIP form you can walk 40 metres the information you gave will clash.

For some people it is harder to get PIP than it was to get DLA but I still think it is worth trying especially after you got put in the Support Group.

Fizzbw

• on: 12 Oct 2014 11:55AM
Thank you :)

Atos decided I was "unlikely to work for the longer term" but then the DM put me in the WRAG as I didn't meet the descriptors for SG (if we'd known we'd have pressed the 22 etc one) and my MP rang them up and they put me in the SG for 3 years.

I'm due for an ESA reassessment in January....anyone know if they are recalling people or is there still a major backlog?

I have a variable condition to some extent (as in I'm in a lot of pain everyday but sometimes it's utterly incapacitating and the more I do the more likely I am to be so) so theoretically PIP should suit my condition better...but we all know that's not in practice.

I know there are long waits :)

Fxxx

Fizzbw

• on: 12 Oct 2014 11:57AM
I don't know if I have that form as it was my MP who got me into the SG?

Fx

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 12 Oct 2014 01:11PM
The DWP should still have an ESA85A/B on file for their own reference purposes -it's not something that automatically gets sent to claimants as it's an internal-use form.  You can request a copy from them, though!

Fizzbw

• on: 13 Oct 2014 06:27PM
Ok thanks :)

Haven't decided what to do yet, not sure I can cope with the stress of maybe knowing or not knowing if I'm getting reassessed, applying for PIP And the general election all in the same months.... ;)

Fxxx

Fizzbw

• on: 27 Oct 2014 10:36PM
As an addendum, I saw my pain consultant today who supported my de Joan to apply for PIP and said she would support me and fill in the form, and asked me to send her a summary of how it affects me wrt PIP so we were "singing from the same song sheet"

Brilliant :)

Fx

Sunshine

• on: 27 Oct 2014 10:52PM
 >biggrin< >thumbsup<