Iain Duncan Smith is Jesus Christ, Guardian article.

• 25 Replies

lankou

• Charter Member
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/24/iain-duncan-smith-disabled-ms-parkinsons-dwp

Iain Duncan Smith thinks he can cure disabled people as if by magic

Thousands of people with degenerative conditions such as MS and Parkinson’s are being deemed ‘able to work soon’ by DWP assessments that are as cruel as they are incompetent

Frances Ryan   

Iain Duncan Smith is Jesus Christ. For anyone who missed the Second Coming, it happened at around mid-morning on Thursday when it became apparent that the secretary of state for work and pensions has started to cure the disabled and chronically sick.

I mean, he hasn’t actually cured anyone yet. But I assume it’s only a matter of time, because thousands of severely ill and disabled people have had their benefits cut since the DWP deemed that they would “recover” from their degenerative conditions in order to go to work. Recover, that is, from a condition that by its very definition is bound to get worse.

It has emerged that more than a third of people with disabilities such as Parkinson’s and MS are being denied the full version of employment support allowance and pushed into “work-related activity” – the group expected to be well enough to work, that gets less money, and is routinely sanctioned.

Forget the surgeon who enabled a paralysed man to walk again, IDS is the real disability hero of the week. He hasn’t even had medical training, but you don’t see that stopping him. If the DWP decides someone with Parkinson’s will get better in order to find a job, why would medical science disagree? And if they say they are in pain or their limbs are trembling, cutting their benefits should incentivise them to deal with it.

Let’s not be shy about the scale of this. Almost 8,000 people diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, muscular atrophy, Parkinson’s disease, cystic fibrosis and rheumatoid arthritis have been put on this lesser “will be able to work soon” benefit, according to an investigation by the conditions’ respective charities. Of these, 5,000 people were put into the category despite assessors actually writing the phrase “unlikely [to be fit for work] in the longer term” on their reports.

It is unclear exactly how IDS is achieving this modern-day miracle. In my mind, I imagine I’d have to rub his scalp for an hour until a ball of light-filled energy shivered through his shiny head to each strand of my genetic makeup. But these are just details. Nonsensical, borderline disturbing details that I just made up. Which, funnily enough, is exactly how disability benefit policy seems to be constructed under this government.

This level of incompetence means that seven out of 10 new claimants with a progressive condition have been reassessed two or more times on the same claim. Because it’s good to check that a person’s cystic fibrosis didn’t scrub off in the last month after a few really nice baths. Health experts claim that repeatedly harassing people who are too ill to get out of bed and threatening to remove the money they need to eat is causing stress and anxiety.

Is no one grateful for attention, any more? IDS hates ingratitude. As he told Channel 4 news this week when Krishnan Guru-Murthy suggested disabled people felt “hard done by” under this government’s policies: “We probably spend more on disabled and sick people in Britain … than almost any other country in the developed world.” He doesn’t let the fact that this is a lie stop him. He inserts the word “probably” and then says whatever fits with his policies.

I believe IDS is “probably” incompetent and is reducing thousands of people, scared, in pain, and humiliated, to poverty. This latest farce is emblematic of a government-wide culture of dehumanising, dangerous benefit cuts that have rotted every part of the social-security system and are causing people to die.

For this government, work for disabled people doesn’t simply mean paying them less. It means forcing them into the job in the first place. The terrifying thing is that this isn’t a joke. Iain Duncan Smith has been given the power to play with people’s lives.

theguardian.com, Friday 24 October 2014 15.56 BS

edit to add message icon > Sunshine
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2014 12:56PM by SunshineMeadows »

meandmurphy

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Maybe he should go and work for the NHS, it needs all the help it can get  :-)

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
Maybe someone should smash his kneecaps, that way he'll know what it is to be disabled.
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Force_Majeure

• Gold Member
    • http://forcemajeure007.wordpress.com/
 What's going here....

"Of these, 5,000 people were put into the category despite assessors actually writing the phrase “unlikely [to be fit for work] in the longer term” on their reports."

Is the Guardian now praising ATOS???

Lest we forget http://forcemajeure007.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/atos-death-toll/

Maybe we could wear A purple tuIip in remembrance of all the ATOS deaths and related suicides.

FM

Expect the worst and hope for the best!!!  :)

Sunshine

"Of these, 5,000 people were put into the category despite assessors actually writing the phrase “unlikely [to be fit for work] in the longer term” on their reports."

I think it has to do with not being awarded enough points to get put in the Support Group, the computer says no even though the assessor has the above opinion.

I just want to take a peek on the other side of the coin.

There are different medications being developed all the time that don't sure conditions but they do help individuals cope with the symptoms better.

Improved healthcare and working conditions for everyone but especially people who are disabled would reduce the risk of people reaching burn out and being too ill to work for longer than is necessary.

That said I despise the time limiting of Contributions based WRAG ESA and also the way the Welfare Bill of 2011 too away the right to contributions based benefit away people who are disabled when they are 16.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Just to correct your opening statement Sunshine - access to the Support Group is not points related, it is down to meeting specific descriptors. Some of these do happen to score 15 points but it is actually possible to score more than 100 points* and still not get into the Support Group!

* one of the B+W mods worked it out once but I don't remember what the actual number was.

Fizzbw

I had "unlikely to return to work in the longer term" and was put in the WRAG. I got my MP on the case and he sorted it out and they put me in the SG.

I asked him to ask DWP how many others had this prognosis in the WRAG. Mark Hoban (eventually) replied that it was 8,000 people.

To be fair Atos did a good assessment of my problems, it was the DWP and the descriptors that let me down. I didn't know about the clauses of harm to you/others at that point.

It makes a mockery of the whole thing for the assessors to decide you are not going to work again/for a very long time (I don't think there is a worse prognosis) and you are put in the WRAG. And it's a relatively easy thing to sort out.

I tried to get this aspect acknowledged and published three-ish years ago.

Fx

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
Hello Lankou

The HOLY BIBLEtell's faithful (CHRISTAIN'S)
to be aware of wolve's in sheep clothing + I.D.S has chareter-ist's of a wolf EG capitalist pig

JLR2

Maybe he should go and work for the NHS, it needs all the help it can get  :-)

He would do so gladly only so long as he is given full control of the gas chambers when dealing with those unable to contribute economically to the state.

JLR2

''There are different medications being developed all the time that don't sure conditions but they do help individuals cope with the symptoms better.''

On that basis no one would qualify for the support grouping of ESA ever again.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
More proof that IDS is living in his own fantasy world and that the BBC  is nothing but the propaganda mouth piece of the condems.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30187742
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

JLR2

IDShit is appearing on this morning's BBC Breakfast.

JLR2

Following BBC Breakfast's interview there with IDShit I sent the following email,

''Good morning,

With regards to your interview with Iain Duncan Smith, a complete waste of time. Not the fault of BBC Breakfast rather the Secretary of State for Works and Pensions. From the start the man had no intention of answering any questions, he only sought air time to proffer his fantasy of these welfare reforms actually working.

With regards ''

Prabhakari

I caught the end of an interview with I.D. Smith on the radio this morning. The first thing I heard him say had: 'this is the honest truth' as the start of his reply!
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

JLR2

IDShit  'honest'  'truth' does not know the meaning of either words.