Budgeting loans

• 32 Replies

Fiz

• Charter Member

Budgeting loans

• on: 26 Nov 2014 04:34PM
My GP suggested I apply for a crisis loan to get my car repaired. I've looked online and although they've gone, there are budgeting loans which look like they might cover something like a car repair.

Anyone have any knowledge/experience of them?

Sunshine

Re: Budgeting loans

• on: 26 Nov 2014 07:00PM
(In England) The most you can get is £348 if you’re single https://www.gov.uk/budgeting-loans/what-youll-get

Would that be enough to cover the car repair costs? It sounds such a low amount  :-(

Local help is worth looking into http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Local-welfare-fund

Each local authority administers their own local social fund with their own rules. There are no national guidelines. In many places help is no longer available through cash grants but instead the local welfare fund is used to support services provided by charities and the voluntary sector. Payments from local welfare funds come from a fixed local budget and there is no automatic right to help.

Monic1511

• on: 26 Nov 2014 10:08PM
Hi Fiz

I doubt you would get a crisis loan, as in my council, a crisis is having no money for food, electricty or gas,  and they are not loans in my area (Scotland)   I would put in an application to the councils welfare fund and see what they say before trying to get a budgetting loan from the DWP.

>hugs<
Monic

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 26 Nov 2014 11:31PM
Apparently the LA don't provide financial assistance though they signpost to food banks and second hand furniture outlets whereas it's money I need. The clutch repair including towing it to the garage is £330 so the budgeting loan would cover it if they awarded it. No idea whether input from my social worker or GP would help the application, they both think the car is crucial for me. From what I've read on the Internet the process takes a long time. I have no way of printing out the application form so will have to go to the library again. If I decide to apply.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 27 Nov 2014 07:23PM
You are guaranteed not to get it if you don't apply - and if you have backing from your GP & SW it sounds as if there's a reasonable chance (or your GP probably wouldn't suggest it).  Worth a try, surely?  >hugs< >x-fingers<

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 27 Nov 2014 09:23PM
Yes I plan to give it a go. I need to get down the library to print the form out but have only left my bed to go to the loo today, majorly struggling with low mood atm. But getting the car back on the road would help me so I need a kick up the jacksy. I've read various forum posts and it seems it's all down to a decision maker and there are no hard and fast rules as to what is deemed an essential. One poster was awarded a budgeting loan to decorate her property which I would have thought was less essential than accessing care but I'm not holding the purse strings. I guess with a budgeting loan they know they will get the money back as it's deducted from your benefits so maybe that makes it more likely. It seems it takes 3-5 weeks to process so the sooner I get to the library the better I guess.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Nov 2014 02:33AM
Well done Fiz.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 29 Nov 2014 12:43AM
Go for it, Fiz! I'll have  >x-fingers< for you.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 29 Nov 2014 08:59AM
I've got the form now, reams of it costing £1.40 to print and the last 2 pages were blank apart from a page number! 20p for absolutely nothing. I swear the DWP do things just to wind people up  >whistle<

Nowhere on the forum does it say where to send it to. It says either post it in the envelope enclosed with the form which I obviously don't have as it wasn't sent to me, or take it into a jobcentre which I can't get to though I guess I could post it there. I think dd will be around this coming week though so she should be able to take me.

I just wish it didn't take so long.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 29 Nov 2014 05:19PM
Nowhere on the forum does it say where to send it to. It says either post it in the envelope enclosed with the form which I obviously don't have as it wasn't sent to me

Yes, it does make you wonder if the process is made extra-annoying to deter people - it's all because local offices don't process the applications any more, and also most of the post-opening has been even more centralised than it was before  >doh< >angry<  Delivering it to the JC+ office in person is a pain, but if you do this you can get a 'receipt' for handing it in (and ask the reception bod you see to get it noted on the computer system as well).  More >x-fingers<

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 05 Dec 2014 08:45AM
I had the most horrendous day yesterday. No lift to the jobcentre and buses are too painful so I came to the decision that to hand the form in I could catch a train into the city, walk to the Quay and catch the ferry to the village with the small friendly jcp. I honestly don't think I could cope with the city jcp, hoards of security to get through to get in and the staff have all had their hearts removed and the parts of their brains that once created compassion. Not their fault, I think they have been abused and desensitised but it's an attitude and situation I feel unable to cope with. So I walked to my train station, caught train, walked to the Quay,  caught ferry, walked to jcp to be told the courier service takes 4 times as long as posting it would because the post goes from mail centre to correct department whereas courier goes through 4 points on its journey and they handed me an envelope to post it myself. I took the envelope walked to the ferry, caught ferry, walked to the train station, caught train and walked home. I was beyond exhausted and in so much pain from the journey. I couldn't post the form while out as the envelope wouldn't stick so needed sellotape. I nearly cancelled my appointment with my social worker as I was so exhausted but needed to post the form anyway so went doing that on the way. I felt so frustrated at myself for not being able to make a single bloody phone call to ask the dwp to send me the form which would have come with an envelope, and simply because I can't phone I spent almost £10 on printing the form and the travel to get an envelope and am left exhausted and in pain. I sat in the waiting room at cmht and cried. I also cried in my appointment.

My sw said I'm not rubbish for not being able to use a telephone (which is what I think) and how resourceful I have been finding ways around it to get a task done but I am so tired and am still struggling not to cry all the time.

Anyway, long and the short of all that is; the form has been posted. 

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member

• on: 05 Dec 2014 08:59AM
 >bighugs< well done on getting the form posted.  I agree with your sw, you have been very resourceful and I'm not surprised you were in tears by the end of it. Pain and fatigue often drive me to tears, and I've not got as much on my plate as you have.  So you really should be congratulating yourself on getting the task completed rather than berating yourself for being in pain and suffering from exhaustion. 

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 05 Dec 2014 12:34PM
Very, very well done for getting the form posted and making it to your appointment.  >star<

>bighugs<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 05 Dec 2014 04:41PM
Being disabled is such hard work.

seegee

• Super Hero Member

• on: 05 Dec 2014 06:20PM
Fiz, you did the things you had planned to do, which involved several different journeys by public transport.  You kept the appointment with your sw. >thumbsup<  That sounds like a busy and successful day - if you are now tired & feel the need to cry, what is wrong with that? 
If someone else had done that, would you be telling them they were "rubbish" for needing a bit of emotional release?  Be kind to yourself.  >bighugs< >cheerup< >bighugs<