A new ESA claim

• 8 Replies

Fiz

• Charter Member

A new ESA claim

• on: 22 Dec 2014 11:14PM
I am supporting someone with a new claim for esa. Claimed by phone on Friday but they are backdating it from when the person's circumstances changed and their income ended to early November though according to the new rules 7 days are 'waiting days' you won't get money for at the beginning. An address was provided with freepost code to send in the sicknote which was posted today with an upgrade to 1st class recorded.

An hour after posting it a text was received from the DWP saying "your employment support allowance has been awarded. You will receive confirmation of this by letter"

Does this mean money will arrive in the persons account soon? Or once they receive the sicknote which will have to work its way from mail centre to department? Or might there be a delay in payment even though it has been awarded?

When the claim was made the call handler said there are guideline dates and they should receive their copy of their claim for esa which they don't need to reply to by January 2nd and the claim will have been processed and monies received by January 28th though these things could happen sooner.

This person has had little income since early November, just lrc and lrm DLA and has had to borrow to pay rent/food/carMOT/carTAX/fuel etc so the sooner they receive some money the better. I just thought that text implies they might pay money even before they get the sicknote? 

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: A new ESA claim

• on: 23 Dec 2014 06:21PM
Have to admit this is a new one on me, the DWP texting people!  It does sound in theory that if ESA has been awarded then ESA should be payable;  a phone call to the DWP should confirm this, or if the person can't make that call before everything shuts up shop for Christmas, then all they can do really is keep checking their bank balance...

Monic1511

• on: 23 Dec 2014 07:37PM
Hi
I suspect that the text indicates that the system has recognised the claim as a valid claim and the dwp will now be assessing the contributions record of the person, there is a 7 day waiting period and since esa is paid in arrears it will typically be 3 weeks before the claim is processed and then they will get 2 weeks money.

I agree with Kizzy that if possible the person calls the DWp to ask if the claim has been received and if they can tell the person a payment date which is really what they want to know.   If they can ask then to call at 8.45 because if its a 3 hour call back that they need then they should get a call back before 1pm, I think everything shuts down about 2pm for a 2.30 stop & there will be very few staff in between Christmas & the new year
best wishes
Monic

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 24 Dec 2014 12:51AM
Thank you, that's what I thought. I think we will leave the call till January 5th by which time the sick note will have made its way through the mail system to the current department. But hopefully payment won't be too much after that. They are back dating the claim till when their previous income ended, November 8th so with waiting days I'm thinking they will receive money from the 15th of November? Or have I got the amount of waiting days wrong?

Monic1511

• on: 24 Dec 2014 08:01PM
No Fiz you haven't got the waiting days wrong - I'll have you doing full time welfare rights soon  >lol< >lol< >thumbsup<
Take care
Monic >dove<

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 25 Dec 2014 06:36AM
Thanks Monic.

Another question which I hope you won't see until you've had a lovely Christmas break, at the end of the current sick note period on 19th January the person is hoping to be well enough to work and more importantly well enough to jump through the necessary JSA hoops and I'm unsure how we switch from one to the other. Do they phone ESA to close the claim and then phone JSA to start a new claim or can one department do both things. Also for the new JSA claim are there the same waiting days as a new claim or because they are switching from one benefit to another are there none.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for all your help, you are a star  >star<

Monic1511

• on: 25 Dec 2014 08:25PM
Hi Fiz
I would tell your friend to stay on ESA rather than move to JSA, she can job seek without being on JSA and the money is exactly the same.
She would need to phone ESA and close her claim, then phone the contact centre and make a new claim to JSA which would probably take 3 weeks to process but there would be no waiting period.   

best wishes
Monic

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 26 Dec 2014 07:20AM
I don't think the Doctor would give them another sick note. Partly as they haven't been open about their depression and anxiety and have just focused on their physical health. They are due for a procedure under GA the day the current note runs out and are having other investigations under Consultant care, it would be better for their MH definitely if they job searched on ESA without the pressure. The Doctor more or less said that as they have improved so much since they came out of hospital that this would be the last sick note.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 31 Dec 2014 05:42AM
Have to admit this is a new one on me, the DWP texting people!  It does sound in theory that if ESA has been awarded then ESA should be payable;  a phone call to the DWP should confirm this, or if the person can't make that call before everything shuts up shop for Christmas, then all they can do really is keep checking their bank balance...

Another text arrived yesterday from the DWP saying they'd received the fitnote and no need to contact them and that the ESA would be paid on the normal payday. As they've never received ESA before, I'm not sure when the normal payday is!