ESA Mobility question

• 8 Replies

Vixxy

ESA Mobility question

• on: 29 Jan 2015 04:03PM
Hi

Hope I'm in the right place.

I'm filling in my ESA50 and it asks how far I can mobilise. I can only walk 25-30 metres before stopping and cannot self propel a wheelchair.

My question is which box do I tick? If I tick 50 metres that's wrong because it's significantly less than that, but I don't want to put it varies because it doesn't, even on a good day it's 30 metres at best.

I have explained in the box what pain I experience, how far I can go etc.

So, should I not tick anything and risk the form thrown back, or tick 50 metres and write 'less than' next to it or tick nothing but write 'less than 50 metres' beside the tick boxes.

Also I get high rate mobility of DLA, would it be worth mentioning that or including the eligibility letter...at very least it indicates that I cannot mobilise very far?

Also, slightly off topic...I've included letters from surgeons, consultants etc and hope to get another, and a letter from a family member. I also have prescriptions and appointment letters...should they go too?

Been a long while since I filled one of these things in so want to make sure it's right, especially given the horror stories.

Hope someone can help.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

Re: ESA Mobility question

• on: 29 Jan 2015 05:13PM
If none of the boxes accurately reflect your situation then don't tick them. Make sure that you have clearly explained your limitations in the text box, including the fact that you cannot self-propel a wheelchair.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 29 Jan 2015 05:27PM
Hi Vixxy and welcome to OuchToo  :-)

It's absolutely stupid, isn't it, that this particular set of tick-boxes doesn't include an option for 'less than 50 metres'  >doh<  As Hurtyback says, if they don't apply, don't tick them - but expand on this in the space box below (I'd also say to head it 'None of the above'  ;-))

You can certainly mention in the same space that you receive HR DLA mobility, but you don't need to send a copy of your award letter - the assessors have access to this information on the DWP computer system.

Definitely send the supporting evidence that you have from all your medical professionals; the more information the assessors have, the more likely the possibility that they can make a 'paper-based decision' - ie, not needing to 'invite' (how I love that word) you to a medical  (of course, nobody can guarantee this, but every bit of extra back-up helps your chances).  The appointment letters aren't necessary if you're already supplying the other information, but if your prescription list is a long and awkward thing to write out, it won't hurt to attach it to the part where you're asked about medication!

Hope that helps and all the best with your claim  >x-fingers<

Vixxy

• on: 29 Jan 2015 05:40PM
Thanks for the replies.

A lot of the form is stupid tbh, I can pick up a pint of milk etc but that would be about it...they don't seem to relate to real life that much, but then do they ever!

Fingers crossed for the paper based assessment! Always clam up at things Like that!

Sunshine

• on: 29 Jan 2015 05:56PM
Welcome to Ouch Too,

In general the advice is not to tick any of the boxes if they do not match you situation however on my ESA50 I ticked It Varies because that meant I got to say sometimes I can mobilise 20-30 metres but others I cant even push the wheelchair. I wanted to cover the rare occasions I go shopping and do manage to wheel myself around the garden centre.

Describe why you cant walk and also why you can't self propel a wheelchair even if you dont have a wheelchair because the assessors are supposed to assess you in terms of if you had a wheelchair could you use it.

Things like picking up a pint of milk and picking up a coin where also included in old Incapacity Benefit Process. They are used to standardise parts of the assessment supposedly to make it universal.

If you are transferring from Incapacity Benefit there is a higher possibility that you will get a 'assessment' but if you get called in the answers and ticks you give on the ESA 50 will determine the questions you are asked and the points you are awarded.

Vixxy

• on: 29 Jan 2015 06:09PM
I'm moving over from Severe Disability Allowance, not sure if that's different.

TBH it's been so long since a form was filled in that my Mum would have done it for me...she's having to help with this one due to the amount of writing!

Thanks!

Sunshine

• on: 29 Jan 2015 06:25PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_Disablement_Allowance_%28UK%29

Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA) was a United Kingdom state benefit intended for those below the state pension age who cannot work because of illness or disability. It was replaced by Incapacity Benefit in April 2001, which itself was replaced by Employment and Support Allowance.

As far as I remember SDA was for people who had not paid enough National Insurance to get the other sickness benefit being paid at the time. I think I was on it back in the 1990s and have since thought because it was harder to get than the National Insurance based benefit that it is equivalent to ESA Support Group now - but I have no proof.

An individual could have been eligible for Severe Disablement Allowance if:

they were assessed as being 80 per cent disabled and:
        they were incapable of work because of illness or disability for at least 28 weeks in a row
        they were between 16 and 64 years old

It is also possible for claimants of Severe Disablement Allowance to receive a 'top-up' of Income Support payments.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog

• on: 29 Jan 2015 06:35PM
My feelings on the whole ESA50 form are that it does not answer all the questions you as a claimant need to be asked.

"If you do manage to walk 49 metres, will you be out of bed the next day?"

"If you have to walk 49 metres, will you be in so much pain that you will not be able to sleep that night?"

"If you type a forum posting of 300 characters, are you in pain for more than 10 minutes?"

"Do you have physical adaptations, e.g. long thumb nails, to help you pick up coins?"
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 16 Feb 2015 01:34PM
You are so right turtle. Totally agree