Simon Stevens at it again.

• 26 Replies

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

Re: Simon Stevens at it again.

• on: 20 Apr 2015 01:21PM
She will probably need all sorts of help, but my gut feeling is that she may survive better with help to make the most marketable bears and market them than if she gives up on it.

Does she knit them or sew them?
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 20 Apr 2015 01:27PM
Sew them

I was going to post her website so you can see how beautiful they are but I've posted information about her health so don't want to post something so identifiable on the open site. I'm not into bears or I'd buy one.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 20 Apr 2015 04:02PM
Auntie, I was going to draw attention to that bit too.

In fact, I think I will do so anyway  >lol<

However, within the disability community itself, Stevens is something of an outsider whose views do not reflect those of the majority. Indeed, to many he is nothing but a troublesome irrelevance.[/size][5][/font][/size][/color][6][/font][/size][/font]

[/size]
[/size]Fiz, I am sorry to hear about your friend's situation. There has been a 'loophole' where people have been able to claim they are working a certain number of hours with little or nothing to show for it. I hadn't thought how the new regulations might affect people like your friend [size=78%] :-(

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 20 Apr 2015 04:03PM
Why does the formatting always go haywire when I try and use that 'quote' function??

Prabhakari

• on: 20 Apr 2015 04:16PM
Why does the formatting always go haywire when I try and use that 'quote' function??

No idea at all.  >wheelchair<
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 20 Apr 2015 04:24PM
Thank you Prab  >raspberry<

Jockice

• Charter Member

• on: 20 Apr 2015 04:38PM
The guy is a tit. A self-publicising tit. And I've met him several times so I know it. He's always claiming that he comes up with all these brilliant ideas in meetings. What he actually does is harangue people who have different ideas to him. And then comes out with the 'but I'm so much more disabled than you' bit if you try to have a reasonable debate with him. And everyone who differs with him is doing it because they wish he was dead. I'm actually amazed that some people actually take him seriously rather than just ignoring him or laughing at him (he's one of those people who claims to have a good sense of humour despite having no sense of humour at all.) He's planning to vote Tory you know. Now there's a surprise.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 20 Apr 2015 07:02PM
Is he related to Katie Hopkins  >erm<

Jockice

• Charter Member

• on: 21 Apr 2015 07:47AM
He wishes he could be that popular.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 21 Apr 2015 12:30PM
Oh dear, I did a search and found his blog.  This sounds desperate:-

"It would be argued that in terms of my social network, my experience and expertise, and my political influence, I am nearing the top of my game and I am certainly well known and I think well respected by my peers, despite my controversial nature. The problem I have always faced in getting paid what I am worth and this has been problem made worst by the recession, especially since I am providing a non-essential business service.

I could be as powerful as I wanted but that does not necessarily pay the bills, and this is what remains frustrating. "

Oh dear he really doesn't understand power, does he?  He'd need to be more robust and suck up to the right people if he wants to do that.  I've seen the limits it places on a career if you don't.

I think if he stopped telling everyone how wonderful and important and respected he is, and did the 'I'm just a grass roots bloke' thing, he could do a lot better in terms of money and power.

Fortunately for those of us that disagree with him, he isn't doing that.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog

• on: 21 Apr 2015 02:32PM
The one thing that made me giggle on the Wikipedia page for Simon is:

Stevens has been diagnosed as having mild bipolar

Are you "diagnosed as having mild bipolar"? I would have thought it was more being "diagnosed as being mildly bipolar".  It reminds me of someone that told me once she had "caught anorexic".

But these are the illiterate writings of the friends of Mr Stevens, so can we expect better?
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 21 Apr 2015 03:03PM
Annoyingly, Bipolar UK seems now to use bipolar as an adjective.  I suppose it saves a long phrase such as "bipolar spectrum disorders" or "bipolar disorder and cyclothymia".

I loathe it but sadly I've caught myself using it.  Grrhh.  I suppose it's like service user.  I grumble about it but find myself using it as a currently recognised term.

I assume mild bipolar = cyclothymia.