Author Topic: This might be a useful gadget to prevent losing things.  (Read 1722 times)

Yvette

Never lose your keys again! Trakkies warn you if you're about to leave the house without your purse, phone or anything else you attach a Trakkie to.

Trakkies are a tiny gadgets which can be attached to keys, a bag or a wallet.

Alert user if they have forgotten to pick up an item by flashing their LEDs

Users can also connect their smartphone to the devices by downloading the Trakkies app and will be given precise directions to the item

The gadget is being funded on crowdfunding website Kickstarter and hopes to raise 101,010 (70,4517/$110,013).  If the makers reach their target they will go on general sale to the public early next year.
Prices start from 36 (25/$39) for a basic two-pack of the tagg model devices.

We've all been there. You're in the queue to pay for something when you suddenly realise you've left your purse or wallet at home.   Now a new coin-sized gadget could ensure you never forget - or lose - your money, keys or even your bag ever again.

Trakkies sense movement and 'communicate' with each other via Bluetooth to determine whether a person is about to leave an area without essential items.

If you are about to leave something behind, the Trakkie will flash and make noises, before you leave the house.

Victor Wierda, head of operations at Trakkies, said: 'Trakkies talk to each other about location and movement - the system wakes up when you start picking up your things.

'When you forget something, the system notices [the item's] lack of movement and that the relative location to the other Trakkies is wrong.

Long distance: By using state-of-the-art Bluetooth antennas, the Trakkie's range is far higher - up to 230ft (70m) - than regular Bluetooth devices, which tend to peak at around 98ft (30m)

'Then we warn you - relative location is important, and that's why we warn you early.'

Once you have been informed that you have forgotten something, the Trakkies will even help you find exactly where it is.

Mr Wierda, 26, said: 'Trakkies can flash their LEDs and make sounds to help you find them when you're near.

'For longer distances, you can use the Trakkies compass on your phone to locate the item.

'We also tell you what other connected items are near the item you're looking for.'

Trakkies can even be attached to larger items such as a suitcase, to ensure you don't lose it at the airport.

They also come in two varieties. Trakkies.micro is designed for extended range and battery life while Trakkies.tagg is designed to be small and affordable enough to fit anywhere, and attached to anything.

The devices work as micro-computers and connect to each other using a peer-to-peer network, meaning they can act independently of a central computer like a phone.

independentgirl84

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Re: This might be a useful gadget to prevent losing things.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2015 12:08AM »
I am so getting my husband this! He is forever losing his keys/wallet ;)

Yvette

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2015 09:51AM »
I read somewhere, that when a husband/partner loses their keys, wallet or phone, the best thing to do is to say nothing  and do nothing, just carry on with what you were doing (i.e. do not make any comment and do not help him look for them).

Apparently it is best not to get involved and to let him find them himself.

I don't know if it works as I do not have a husband/partner, but it might be worth a try?

Sunshine

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2015 09:53AM »
Trakkies are a great idea especially for people that live alone. I think when people live together there is often one person that finds stuff for the others, most often the Mum, wife, girlfriend or sister. Whenever I find something that Mr Sunshine lost he says it is because I put it away or hid it  >angry<. Trakkies could improve domestic harmony.

Yvette we were writing at the same time.

Yvette

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2015 02:47PM »
I could do with a Trakky for my reading glasses. 

I have four pairs:

- one for the sitting room
- one for the kitchen/diner
- one for the bedroom
- one for my bag.

The pair in my bag never get lost because they are on a beaded cord.   

But the others are always getting lost because they are for reading only and I take them off when they are not needed. 

I don't wear them on a cord because when I'm at home, the glasses hanging down get in the way and get knocked.

Also, they get splashed or splattered in the kitchen.

If I fall asleep in bed or on the recliner, the cord gets tangled around my neck.  It isn't as bad if I fall asleep wearing the glasses when they aren't attached to a cord.

I could do with a dozen pairs of glasses for in the house, but I'd probably still misplace them!!  >lol<

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2015 04:53PM »
Soon to be upgraded to the Trekkie, which automatically beams itself and the attached item into your bag.

Resistance was futile :)

On a more serious note, thanks for posting this, Yvette. These devices are a fascinating idea from my perspective as an engineer.

Yvette

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2015 08:00AM »
You are most welcome, Darth.