Re-launching the ship happyness by bulekingfisher

• 4171 Replies

hossylass

Re: Re-launching the ship happyness

• on: 29 Mar 2012 11:10PM
Well whatever you do, dont stop off at St. Helens.

But if you do have a pimbletts pie - you'll never go to Greggs again.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 30 Mar 2012 09:39AM
St Helens' Central railway station has been refitted (I pass through there a few times a year but don't get off the train) and there has been, for a few years now, a museum called World of Glass - so they are obviously trying to get people to stop in St Helens.  >lol<
I doubt if they have much success apart from those who go to watch rugby league matches...  ;-)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 30 Mar 2012 10:05AM
Wotcha Hoss and Seegee, good of you to drop by  >biggrin<

A bit of history to the Pimmies Pie:

http://www.goodpieguide.co.uk/lancashire_-_pimmies_pies_-_st_helens.html

Perhaps Sir C could be persuaded to cook a few....

seegee

• Super Hero Member

• on: 30 Mar 2012 10:36AM
Ah, yes, Pimmies are a replacement for the defunct Pimblett's pies, as somebody thought the idea too good to let go...
Wigan people are known as "pie-eaters", they have Poole's pies; Mum says the best pork pies are from Yates Greer in Leigh (who don't seem to have a website).
This is just a bit of local history for me, I've not eaten any of these in decades, as I'm veggie.  ;-)

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member

• on: 30 Mar 2012 08:22PM
Hello Hossylass

We are going to the Assien Island's + NOTST Helena as the ship is going to Agentia

SashaQ

• Charter Member

• on: 30 Mar 2012 09:17PM
there has been, for a few years now, a museum called World of Glass - so they are obviously trying to get people to stop in St Helens.  >lol<
I doubt if they have much success apart from those who go to watch rugby league matches...  ;-)

I've been to the museum and it was very good - a comprehensive history of glass (and double glazing) and a few interactive exhibits  >biggrin< (it was rather quiet on the day we visited, though...  >whistle< )

seegee

• Super Hero Member

• on: 31 Mar 2012 10:52AM
I keep meaning to get off the train & visit the World of Glass on the way back from one of my repetitive hospital appointments; maybe I will actually do it one day. 
I expect it's often fairly quiet unless there's a school group; there seems so little other reason to visit the town.

hossylass

• on: 31 Mar 2012 12:50PM
Oh the Pilkington glass museum is fantastic, or it was - I haven't been for years.

Fascinating, well I found it was. >biggrin<

Dont tell me Pimbletts has closed down >crying<
They did vegetarian pies - Homity pies I think they were called - very yummy, and their steak pie was delicous though it gave everyone heartburn it was worth it.
There was a shop just by the dole office...

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member

• on: 31 Mar 2012 03:07PM
Hello Stalwart

Can you confirm the ship is going to the Ascension Islands + NOT a pie shop in St Helen's Lankishire UK as that is what Hossylass seem's to be indicatting the spelling might look simular  >thumbsdown<

seegee

• Super Hero Member

• on: 31 Mar 2012 05:53PM
No need to worry, Captain, St Helens is a good few miles away from the Manchester Ship Canal & there is absolutely no danger of your trusty navigator attempting to take the ship there at all.   >thumbsup<
Enjoy your sail to the Ascension Islands.  >biggrin<

SirCumference

• Charter Member
  • On the other side

• on: 31 Mar 2012 11:06PM
Hello Stalwart

Can you confirm the ship is going to the Ascension Islands + NOT a pie shop in St Helen's Lankishire UK as that is what Hossylass seem's to be indicatting the spelling might look simular  >thumbsdown<

Yes, I'd rather go to a glass museum in Lancashire than any fancy Caribbean pose spot.  >angry<

stalwart

• on: 01 Apr 2012 09:50AM
Oh dear Sir C it's nowhere near the caribbean.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_Island

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member

• on: 01 Apr 2012 10:21AM
Hello Stalwart

I am very glad you + I  >biggergrin< are going to the Ascension Island's in the South Adlantic I'm thinking Hossylass might be in league with mutiny leader Sir Cumfrence + I would like you + Eric (the viking) to keep your eye's + ear's open on their off duty hour's >thumbsup< >tah<

SirCumference

• Charter Member
  • On the other side

• on: 01 Apr 2012 09:49PM
Oh no! 626! The shame. I'll just have to lock myself into an Adidas holdall, throw away the key and put myself in the wardrobe until I am found in 5 years' time.

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member

• on: 02 Apr 2012 09:33AM
Hello Sir Cumefrence 

Instead of putting your self in a hold-all. Why not thrash yourself throughly   with a stripy pair of brace's like those that hold your chef type trousers up  >biggergrin< It was Stalwart who had 626