Jobseekers travel card (ESA too)

• 7 Replies

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

Jobseekers travel card (ESA too)

• on: 25 Aug 2015 10:47AM
I just noticed this.  Travel card for trains round England (not sure about other bits of UK) and also buses in London if you fall within certain categories of people trying to get back into work.    I don't think anyone regularly posting here has mentioned being on jobseekers, but I couldn't remember whether any were on ESA/UC and trying to get back to work.  I'm assuming people here already know about concessionary bus passes for various categories of sick and disabled people.

From the Mirror:

"The Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card can be used by anyone over 25 who's been unemployed for 3 to 12 months, or 18-to-24-year-olds who are out of work for 3 to 9 months.

It can also be used by sick and disabled people on Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) who are working with a jobcentre advisor to get back to work."

Gov website

"Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card (my highlight)

This is provided to those unemployed claiming Jobseekers Allowance or Universal Credit for 3-9 months (18-24 year olds) or 3-12 months (over 25s). Other benefit recipients may receive a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card from 3 months of their claim and if they are actively engaged with a Jobcentre Plus adviser. Cardholders are entitled to a 50% discount on selected rail tickets."
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member

Re: Jobseekers travel card (ESA too)

• on: 25 Aug 2015 10:52AM
As far as I am aware SOME people with epilepsy and NOT on any benefit because they are working can qualify for a bus pass.
(I was nosey and asked a young lady who used a bus pass on a local bus.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 25 Aug 2015 12:35PM
They get a bus on the same basis I do.

If you're declared unfit to drive for medical reasons, other than those related to alcohol or (street) drugs, you can get a bus pass.

In my case, it's because you're not allowed to drive if you have bipolar disorder with four or more episodes a year.  (In reality, I think most people in that situation either don't realise or refuse to declare and simply take a gamble over their insurance not being valid if they've failed to declare.)

Accordingly, some people with epilepsy aren't allowed to drive (I think it's for 12 months after a fit?) therefore they are entitled to a pass.

My pass is brilliant.  I live in the Midlands and it's valid on buses and trains throughout the so-called Centro area, plus on buses throughout England.

I don't know how things work in the rest of the UK.

I call my bus pass my Mad-pass.  I came across someone calling theirs that.  In my case, because I'm also a bit wobbly on my feet, I think people often assume I get it because of that, and then if I run for a bus, they think I'm a cheat just pretending to be disabled to get a free pass.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

• on: 25 Aug 2015 03:57PM
It can also be used, I guess, by the DWP's snooper squad to track claimant's movements. from where to where and at what times. I could allow the DWP to check cctv cams in any particular area a claimant has used their bus pass right down to the time of their bus's arrival at any chosen bus stop.

lankou

• Charter Member

• on: 25 Aug 2015 04:22PM
It can also be used, I guess, by the DWP's snooper squad to track claimant's movements.

So can a mobile phone be used as a tracker.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 25 Aug 2015 06:18PM
Do you have to give them your mobile phone number so that they can do this?

lankou

• Charter Member

• on: 25 Aug 2015 06:20PM

No you don't which is why my mobile is rarely switched on.

SteveX

• on: 25 Aug 2015 08:15PM

No you don't which is why my mobile is rarely switched on.

..and one very big reason why I don't own a mobile phone.
Member of POMMAS