Senior Tory ministers 'avoiding live interviews to rely on statements and scipts

• 25 Replies

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Well the neo-Tory pragmatists just lost two elections to the non pragmatic real Tories so lets see how a man of principle fares.

JLR I dont think PMQs would be a suitable occasion for a personal attack on the PM's private family life. As much as I despise him. 
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
For anyone who is interested, here is the full list of Shadow Cabinet appointments:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2015/sep/14/corbyn-appoints-labour-shadow-cabinet-with-john-mcdonnell-as-shadow-chancellor-reaction-politics-live

Here is the full list of Jeremy Corbynís new shadow cabinet. Labour points out that 16 of the members are women, and 15 are men.

The wording, and the order of appointment, are exactly as they appear in the Labour press release.

Leader of the Opposition and Leader of the Labour Party

Jeremy Corbyn MP

Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, Party Chair and Shadow Minister for the Cabinet Office

Tom Watson MP

Shadow First Secretary of State, Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills

Angela Eagle MP

Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer

John McDonnell MP

Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury

Seema Malhotra MP

Shadow Home Secretary

Andy Burnham MP

Shadow Foreign Secretary

Hilary Benn MP

Opposition Chief Whip

Rosie Winterton MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Health

Heidi Alexander MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Education

Lucy Powell MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

Owen Smith MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Defence

Maria Eagle MP

Shadow Lord Chancellor, Shadow Secretary of State for Justice

Lord Falconer of Thoroton

Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Shadow Minister for the Constitutional Convention

Jon Trickett MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change

Lisa Nandy MP

Shadow Leader of the House of Commons

Chris Bryant MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Transport

Lilian Greenwood MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland

Vernon Coaker MP

Shadow Secretary of State for International Development

Diane Abbott MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland

Ian Murray MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Wales

Nia Griffith MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Kerry McCarthy MP

Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities

Kate Green MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport

Michael Dugher MP

Shadow Minister for Young People and Voter Registration

Gloria De Piero MP

Shadow Minister for Mental Health

Luciana Berger MP

Shadow Leader of the House of Lords

Baroness Smith of Basildon

Lords Chief Whip

Lord Bassam of Brighton

Shadow Attorney General

Catherine McKinnell MP

Shadow Minister without Portfolio

Jonathan Ashworth MP

Shadow Minister for Housing and Planning

John Healey MP

Other Announcements:

Yvette Cooper will continue her work on bringing together councils, faith groups, and community groups to respond to the refugee crisis. She will chair Labourís task force on refugees.

All of that looks pretty good, aside from John McDonnell who as far as I'm concerned is a prat.

It's also strange that while a new shadow minister for mental health has been created (excellent), there's no mention of a disability minister (not so good).

lankou

• Charter Member

All of that looks pretty good, aside from John McDonnell who as far as I'm concerned is a prat.

Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, Owen Smith MP inspires me with no confidence at all.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, Owen Smith MP inspires me with no confidence at all.

He's not an MP I'm that familiar with. Why do you find him less than confidence-inspiring?

lankou

• Charter Member

He's not an MP I'm that familiar with. Why do you find him less than confidence-inspiring?

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24797/owen_smith/pontypridd/votes

How Owen Smith voted on Welfare and Benefits #
Almost always voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
We donít have enough information to calculate Owen Smithís position on raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices. Show votes
We donít have enough information to calculate Owen Smithís position on paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability. Show votes
We donít have enough information to calculate Owen Smithís position on making local councils responsible for helping those in financial need afford their council tax and reducing the amount spent on such support. Show votes
Generally voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
Almost always voted for spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed

Offworld

• Charter Member
new shadow minister for mental health has been created .... .no mention of a disability minister

>erm-thinking<    But that would be entirely consistent with Unum doctrine.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24797/owen_smith/pontypridd/votes

How Owen Smith voted on Welfare and Benefits #
Almost always voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
We donít have enough information to calculate Owen Smithís position on raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices. Show votes
We donít have enough information to calculate Owen Smithís position on paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability. Show votes
We donít have enough information to calculate Owen Smithís position on making local councils responsible for helping those in financial need afford their council tax and reducing the amount spent on such support. Show votes
Generally voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
Almost always voted for spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed

I see what you mean.

He showed up on Daily Politics earlier:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06chkfh/daily-politics-15092015

Item begins at 18mins 30 seconds, and I should warn you that it also features Kenneth Baker  >feeling-sick<

Available until 14th October.

neurochick

• Diamond member
Well, so far I've not seen anything from the new Labour leadership that would lead me to feel that they are going to form an effective opposition any time soon (or even not-so-soon).  So far the whole picture is one of complete and utter shambles.  At this rate there will be endless months of yet more internal 'navel-gazing' and absolutely nothing useful going on.  I don't see this shadow cabinet rabble becoming a powerful, solid, credible force which is capable of protecting and advancing the civil rights of people with disabilities.  At least our Scottish Parliamentary elections are certainly going to be very interesting. 

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
Well, so far I've not seen anything from the new Labour leadership that would lead me to feel that they are going to form an effective opposition any time soon (or even not-so-soon).  So far the whole picture is one of complete and utter shambles.  At this rate there will be endless months of yet more internal 'navel-gazing' and absolutely nothing useful going on.  I don't see this shadow cabinet rabble becoming a powerful, solid, credible force which is capable of protecting and advancing the civil rights of people with disabilities.

Agreed, albeit reluctantly. Caught up with PMQ's earlier. Jez came across as a good man who is sadly out of his depth.  :-(

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Only time will tell it's only been a week.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
I'll be very happy to be proved wrong, Dic. I didn't vote in the leadership election - Labour don't stand in Northern Ireland so it didn't feel right to do so - but I like Corbyn a great deal. Hopefully he'll change his mind about a media strategy, as he has some good ideas, but they're not being heard. 

>Editing to add fair play to McDonnell for apologising about that bloody stupid remark he made in 2003.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2015 11:56AM by NeuralgicNeurotic »