ESA and work

• 4 Replies

Katboo

ESA and work

• on: 22 Nov 2015 10:38AM
I have just been offered a consultancy post of 6 hours per week which I accepted and notified.  DWP thinking after reading their website that I could earn 104 a week and all would be well. I am on high level for both DLA. BUT I HAVE 2 children and am single mum so am now terrified that I will loose child tax credit and housing benefit and will actually be words off plus will have benefits me assessed. It's all a bloody nightmare and feel completely suicidal. I was trying to do something positive and have ruined everything. I think I must ring DWP tomorrow and and say I did it for a week but couldn't cope. Please help.  :-(

Edit to add warning triangle because suicide mentioned - Sunshine
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2015 04:45PM by SunshineMeadows »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: ESA and work

• on: 22 Nov 2015 04:55PM
First of all you have not ruined everything  and maybe nothing is going to happen even if you do nothing.

You are just as sick\ disabled as you were before you accepted the job.

That said I can understand why you are so worried and upset given the way the Government has been cutting benefits and causing a climate of fear and loathing  >steam<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 22 Nov 2015 05:05PM
Hi Katboo, was it 'supported permitted work' you were trying to take up?  (this is the part of the Government website I assume you were looking at: https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility)

Some more information on permitted work and its potential impact on other benefits:

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Permitted-Work-Rules

>edited to add
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2015 05:09PM by KizzyKazaer »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 23 Nov 2015 11:19AM
Katboo,

How are you today?

It can be difficult to figure out the best thing to do when you are the only person bringing money in and you have children. I am in the Support Group for ESA so I know that if I was able to to a few hours permitted work a week it would make a nice difference to our household income. If I had children I would be thinking of how I could buy ordinary things to make their lives better, getting hopeful and maybe feeling happy at the prospect of a better life. Next would come the niggling worrying about would I keep my benefits, then and escalation to what I am doing and is it worth the risk. I am not sure non disabled/sick people have the same pressure falling on them to make the right decision because the stakes are so high.

In my opinion it is worth trying to do the consultancy work before you decide to step back from in and phone the DWP. Even if you only manage a month that could be enough extra income to have a better Christmas. I dont know why you are disabled/sick or how long you have been that way but if you try to work and it is too much then you will be able to use your experience to help fill in your next ESA50 form. I say that because our lives can become about living day to day and not having to push ourselves can mean it is harder to explain what we can and cant do.

I hope things work our for you.

Monic1511

• on: 23 Nov 2015 09:18PM
Katboo

IF you need to go back onto ESA (which I think thats what you want /need) then as its less than 12 weeks since your ESA claim ended you will go back on the old rate and you would just need to do another change of circs form for housing  / council tax

You would keep child tax credits at the same rate unless you get more than 50,000 a year so please don't panic about that - yes any increase in income would reduce your housing benefit - you might not lose it altogether but it would go down,  housing only ignore the first 5 or at most 15 of earnings before it affects your housing benefit.  so let us know how you got on with both dwp and the councils benefit section who do housing benefit and don't let ESA close your claim and don't wait 12 weeks before telling them about your 6 hours,   ask them about permitted work as thats where the Upper earnings limit comes from.

deep breaths now - it'll be fine  >bighugs<
Monic