Need some help

• 8 Replies

Luckers95

Need some help

• on: 08 Nov 2015 02:20PM
Hi all

Just registered to the forum so my first post.

I have a couple of issues i need some advice/help with. I am currently claiming PIP (Daily Living) and ESA (Support group)

The issues I have had is that ive been worried about my payments when it comes to the end of the awards  so ive done some looking around but only seem to have found an answer to my PIP concern, my PIP award is until July 2017 and on the award letter it does say that they will contact me in July 2016, from the information i have found on the internet it seems that they do contact you a year prior to the expiry date of the award to see if you want to claim again and set the wheels in motion and then hopefully 12 months is enough time to get it all sorted again to avoid losing the money come July 2017. I'm hoping that someone on here on PIP like me could confirm that this is how it works?

My other concern is ESA, I am in the support group 'indefinitely' however I was told by DWP that they plan to review my claim come May 2017, what i need to know is, because i am in the support group indefinitely, does that mean that i will continue to receive my support group rate (that i rely on to live) indefinitely regardless of how long the DWP take to do this 'review' and also can someone explain what this 'review' is - is it a re-assessment face to face or is it like a paper based review to see if my situation is just the same.??

Sorry for the long post, Thanks in advance for any help given, its something ive certainly been worrying about.

Thanks

J

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Need some help

• on: 08 Nov 2015 03:10PM
Welcome to Ouch Too Luckers  :-)

I can see why you are concerned what with the the renewal dates for both your PIP claim and ESA claim being so close together.

I have not been transferred from DLA to PIP yet so dont have any personal experience of it yet so I need to look through the information I do have saved to find out more about people being contacted a year before renewal is due. The PIP back log of claims is mean process claiming is slowed down for most everyone.

As far as we have seen from what has been posted here on Ouch Too before no one was getting put in the ESA Support Group indefinitely but that does not mean it does not happen. The DWP are supposed to review ESA claims at least once every three years and this means claimants have to fill in a new ESA50 and be assessed. Many of us have had Support Group awards renewed after a paper reassessment which did not involve a face to face interview with a healthcare professional. I myself was moved from the WRAG to Support Group based on my new ESA50 and information the DWP already had. This is vastly different from how it was back in 2009-2011 when there was a big push by the government to be seen to be moving people who had been assessed as too sick to work towards work.

It seems to be that if a person has already been placed in the Support Group has conditions/disabilities which are not going to get better they are more likely to have a paper based assessment and have their claim renewed ie stay in the Support Group.

Sorry for the long post, Thanks in advance for any help given, its something ive certainly been worrying about.

One of the worst things about the changes in welfare benefits is that the way they have been done created a lot of stress and worry in the hearts and minds of all of us. Hopefully the questions and answers this message board help everyone.

Luckers95

• on: 08 Nov 2015 03:31PM
Welcome to Ouch Too Luckers  :-)

I can see why you are concerned what with the the renewal dates for both your PIP claim and ESA claim being so close together.

I have not been transferred from DLA to PIP yet so dont have any personal experience of it yet so I need to look through the information I do have saved to find out more about people being contacted a year before renewal is due. The PIP back log of claims is mean process claiming is slowed down for most everyone.

As far as we have seen from what has been posted here on Ouch Too before no one was getting put in the ESA Support Group indefinitely but that does not mean it does not happen. The DWP are supposed to review ESA claims at least once every three years and this means claimants have to fill in a new ESA50 and be assessed. Many of us have had Support Group awards renewed after a paper reassessment which did not involve a face to face interview with a healthcare professional. I myself was moved from the WRAG to Support Group based on my new ESA50 and information the DWP already had. This is vastly different from how it was back in 2009-2011 when there was a big push by the government to be seen to be moving people who had been assessed as too sick to work towards work.

It seems to be that if a person has already been placed in the Support Group has conditions/disabilities which are not going to get better they are more likely to have a paper based assessment and have their claim renewed ie stay in the Support Group.

One of the worst things about the changes in welfare benefits is that the way they have been done created a lot of stress and worry in the hearts and minds of all of us. Hopefully the questions and answers this message board help everyone.

Thanks for the quick response, i highly appreciate it. Regarding being in the indefinite time frame in the Support Group, i was told that by DWP on the phone, he said that i am in there indefinitely as i am not able to work but he said im due to be recieved in may 2017, If the DWP take forever to put the review through does that mean i will lose my esa money if its not done by may 2017? or will i continue to receive my support group rate up until if and hopefully when they keep me in the support group after their review??

Luckers95

• on: 08 Nov 2015 03:32PM
"but he said im due to be REVIEWED (not received) in may 2017"

Luckers95

• on: 08 Nov 2015 03:39PM
I am thinking of writing to DWP and asking them so i then have their response in writing. Does anyone know where i can find the address i would need to write to about this? I cant seem to find it on the ESA gov site?

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 08 Nov 2015 03:41PM
he said that i am in there indefinitely as i am not able to work but he said im due to be recieved reviewed in may 2017,

It sounds like the DWP are putting some people in a indefinite category which would make administrative sense  >thumbsup<. I did not ring up the DWP for the result of my claim and just accepted the letter saying I was in the Support Group meant I would be reassessed in three years time but I think it is passed that now.

If the DWP take forever to put the review through does that mean i will lose my esa money if its not done by may 2017?

As long as the delay is on their part you wont lose money eg not sending a new ESA50 back can cause a claimant to lose benefit.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 08 Nov 2015 03:44PM
I cant seem to find it on the ESA gov site?

I think Monic might know the correct address. She works during the week and I am not sure when she will be online next.
 :-)

Luckers95

• on: 08 Nov 2015 03:50PM
I cant seem to find it on the ESA gov site?

I think Monic might know the correct address. She works during the week and I am not sure when she will be online next.
 :-)

Thanks for your help :)

Monic1511

• on: 08 Nov 2015 06:06PM
Hi
OK first you need to stop panicking, I know easier said than done but your only gonna make yourself worse

ESA Support Group - technically no one has an indefinite award and if you phone the DWP your only raising your case to their attention, they will not send you a letter saying your award is indefinite so forget asking for that.  At some time ( and no one can tell you when not even the DWP) you will be sent another ESA50,  it will ask you about your health at the time the form is sent so while you can prepare reports you would need to keep getting them updated until an ESA50 was received.    If you really want to focus on something then read the support group descriptors and make sure that your reports to your doctors reflect the descriptors you feel you meet.

PIP - yes the DWP are sending these out around a year early but thats because they take so long to process the claims.  If your award isn't due to end until July 2017 you have another seven months before a PIP2 MIGHT arrive at your door.   Again I would not be contacting the DWP about this as any contact you initiate just focuses their attention on you.

Another thing is that there are multiple changes in legislation in the pipeline,  Universal Credit (UC) is coming in and no one knows when they are going to roll it out to everyone else.   The ESA criteria could be reviewed again - I have vauge memories of there being another review of the criteria but I might be imagining that.
PIP will be reviewed and there are already whispers of the criteria being changed.

I know all that is hard to accept but if you cannot change it then I'm sorry but you have to ignore it for your own sanity.

You asked about the mailing address it will be ESA Team, mail handling site a, wolverhampton, can't remember the postcode off hand but please DO NOT write to ESA or PIP as all that will happen is that they willtake your contact as you reporting a change in your situation and an Excuse to send you another ESA50 or a PIP2

Sorry SunshineMeadows I was at a church event yesterday and didn't get in till late so never even switched on PC

take care
Monic