PIP and getting a blank form sent out

• 5 Replies

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member

PIP and getting a blank form sent out

• on: 05 Jan 2016 07:42PM
My friend has received his PIP switchover letter and although he told them very forcefully that he would rather have a form to fill in, they insisted he do everything over the phone. Now even if we ignore the fact that I can't use the phone and that I don't have a textphone with which to use relay, I simply don't have the stamina to sit on a call of that length to get my form done. And, quite honestly, part of my claim is based on my inability to sustain a conversation of any length with a stranger because of the extreme anxiety it causes. I'm wondering if anyone has had success in getting them to just send a form based on that sort of thing. If they suggested that I ring back every time I can add to the form a little, that's going to take me months and a great deal of support to get me through the anxiety of having to do it and them speaking on the phone. It also says someone else can call for you provided you are present, so one assumes they mean they will want to do some kind of security with you. And insisting on reading the whole question word for word... if I can get a textphone in it is going to take a thousand hours by relay! I will write to them recorded delivery as soon as I get my letter to explain this , just wondered if there was any precedence to fall back on. Thanks.

Monic1511

Rose

your misunderstanding the system (don't stress many do)
The phone call part should only take between 20 - 40 minutes and its not the PIP form that they are completing - its the PIP1 which is this info
Name Address & National Insurance Number
Bank Details sort code and account number
GP name address & postcode
Any other consultants you see full name and address needed

Once they have all that they type it into a pro forma and generate the PIP2 part which asks all the questions for you to complete by hand.   The DWP will not accept the PIP invite from anyone other than the claimant or their registered appointee, you have to be present for them to hear you give verbal permission for the other person to speak on your behalf.   They don't always ask all the security questions but they do need to hear you speak.
The only time they will issue a form without the person is if the Person's GP/Doc say that they have less than 6 months to live

Your pal needs to call back and give the basic info and then they will send a PIP2 to complete
- This is lifted from the gov website
You’ll be asked for information like:

contact details and date of birth
    National Insurance number
    bank or building society details
    doctor’s or health worker’s name
    details of any time you’ve spent abroad, or in a care home or hospital

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call. You can also write asking for a form to send the above information by post (this can delay the decision on your claim).

Personal Independence Payment New Claims
Post Handling Site B
Wolverhampton
WV99 1AH
https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

Once they have that and you get the PIP2 you have 14 days to return it but if you call and ask for an extension they will extend the return date by another 2 weeks

Monic
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2016 09:31PM by Monic1511 »

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
(was posting the link then realised Monic had already posted it - sorry, I'm really ditzy right now)
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2016 01:20AM by Sunny Clouds »
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
20-40 minutes and "only" definitely don't belong together! I shall need to find myself an appointee, then. And it's all pointless to do security with me by text relay as they will not hear me speak at all, but hey ho, such is the dance.

Monic1511

Sorry Rose but 20 minutes of that will be the hold listening to the rubbish Muzak and when you do get a person it should only take 10 -20 minutes to do then next part of name etc.  I know that this is a hassle, I had a fight with them when I called for a person who was in hospital recovering from oral surgery but since they were not terminal I was told I had to go to the ward, and get the person to press a button on my mobile to confirm that it was okay for me to speak for them >angry< >angry< >angry< >angry< Doesn't cover it, I made an official complaint but we didn't get the pip form until this happened.  The worker went and got their supervisors but even they couldn't override the system which insists on the claimant giving permission for a claim to be made. >headbang< >headbang< >headbang< >headbang<

oldtone27

• Charter Member
This palaver seems to be bureaucratic madness. I presume it is supposed to be about security, but what is to stop anyone pretending to be the claimant with their permission. It seems they have no way of knowing that if the person has all the necessary answers.

Depending on how the legislation is framed that might be illegal, but it seems in that case that the required procedure is suspect in respect of reasonable adjustments for disability.

Clearly a process designed for bureaucratic convenience, not to assist the claimant. Bad procedural design.