Customer Compliance home visit

• 47 Replies

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Customer Compliance home visit

• on: 04 Feb 2016 09:18AM
I do need to supply PO statements dating back to 2011, just so the SSA can satisfy itself that there are no non-benefit sources of income.

In cases such as this, is DLA counted as income? The officer glossed over it, and I was too meds-headed to remember to ask.

Hi NN - DLA is definitely a benefit source of income, so 'no' would be the short answer .. 

"my PO account balance strayed over the savings limit"

Well that is interesting.  So there is an automatic notification between the bank and the DWP?

Was wondering about this also, does the SSA work differently?  >confused<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 04 Feb 2016 07:46PM
It must do. She definately said that there'd been a notification from the Post Office.

It's one of the little basic card accounts set up when the old system of benefits books was done away with, which might explain why there was a notification. It certainly came as news to me!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 06 Feb 2016 09:42AM
 >bighugs<

I think maybe if they found you have been over paid (which you haven't) the DWP can count DLA as income when working out debt payments. Which to me does not make sense because DLA is for care and mobility requirements.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 08 Feb 2016 09:27AM
Thanks Sunshine >thumbsup<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 08 Feb 2016 09:52AM
Sorry NN, must have misunderstood your question - I wasn't thinking in terms of the overpayment  >doh<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 08 Feb 2016 10:11AM
..in fact, following on from Sunshine's post, I've been checking the DWP's own Overpayments Guide (someone had to get a Freedom of Information Request to get this online!)  It indeed states that normally disregarded benefits like AA/DLA are not ignored when calculating the level of direct deductions from benefit (for the debt recovery).  Of course, further action from the DWP will depend on the total amount of overpayment - some are written off when it is found that the administrative cost of recovery will exceed the actual o/p!

Monic1511

• on: 08 Feb 2016 07:25PM
Re overpayments -IF this does occur then you list all your income and all your expenses and argue that you have insufficient funds to pay them back at 18 a week.

You can argue recovery down to 3.70 a week unless they decide it was a fraudulent act that led to the OP which it wasn't so don't stress about that please.

if you do end up with an OP its up to you but I would ask for a reconsideration / appeal on the grounds that your savings were for a specific item necessary to ease your daily living conditions.

Good luck
Monic

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 08 Feb 2016 08:48PM
Thanks Kizzy and Monic. I'll keep you posted. >thumbsup<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Feb 2016 11:41AM
I've just discovered something quite worrying. The address I was given to send my PO statements to isn't the Compliance Office, or the Debt Recover/Overpayments department, it's the Single Investigations Unit, which I've just found out is the fraud department!

I'm now really very worried indeed.

>Editing to add: It looks as though my ESA is still being paid, so I really don't know what to make of it all.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Feb 2016 01:06PM
 >bighugs<

I would be worried about the address being the fraud department but remember after the officer had visited how you felt then.

Well, the Compliance Officer has been and gone. The visit was triggered automatically when my PO account balance strayed over the savings limit. She was reasonably sympathetic and reassuring, and said that as it's just accumulated benefit money earmarked for disability-related equipment and home improvements that it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Also given how poorly you  were recently I can't see they have anything to find even if they look beyond a paper assessment.
 >bighugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Feb 2016 01:33PM
Thanks Sunshine. >hugs<

I suppose they might try to make something of my buying a handbike, but at the same time, why on earth would I buy a piece of disability-specific equipment like that, if I wasn't acually disabled!?

Oh well, I've supplied all the requested information, so I suppose it's just a question of waiting until a decision has been made. They'll be able to see straight away that there's nothing but benefit money in the account.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything more.

>bighugs<

Monic1511

• on: 28 Feb 2016 03:03PM
Re it being the single investigations unit - I don't think you have anything to worry about, its just that the dwp is cutting staff all over the place and the staff have multiple jobs to do, I think its not that they think you have committed a fraud but its just the staff looking at the overpayment are the same staff as those who have to investigate fraud.

was speaking to a friend today who works for the DWP direct deductions team and they have been told that the staff are being moved to different tasks and rather than 3 of them dealing with direct deductions there is now only going to be one person taking calls for the whole of London.  The other 2 staff have to take new claims instead!!!

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Feb 2016 04:08PM
Thank you Monic >hugs<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 29 Feb 2016 05:57PM
Might the clue be in the name? I suspect that the 'Single Investigation Unit' deals with everything from simple queries upwards.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 06 May 2016 07:27AM
I still haven't heard anything. Given that my level of ESA hasn't changed, might it be safe to assume that nothing has come of the visit?