PIP - home consultation - help please!

• 23 Replies

Monic1511

Can I clarify something - I don't encourage people to exaggerate their claims and when I tell them to describe their bad days I'm looking for them to tell me their worst, I then pick out the bits that I think are appropriate and put that down.  My bad days would be having multiple fits and a good day is none but the DWP are only interested in how I am the majority of the time, well I think I'm normal, my workmates don't so that's perspective.

I read appeal papers and it says your typical day
get up at 5am
makes a cuppa
goes back to bed
can make a meal
takes medication
goes to doctor
can go to shop
manages money and bills
watches TV all day
phones friends
sees relatives once a week
makes evening meal
goes to bed, struggles to sleep

all of that comes from a chat with a medical assessor and the dwp decision maker
but is the official statement of a persons ability

and the interpretation is that they can do this every day of the week  so if you say you can do something once then you can do it all the time and repeatedly and safely

even today the doctor asked a claimant in the tribunal if they took their medication, claimant responded yet, the doctors inference was that the person took their medication all the time repeatedly and reliably, I had to ask if they would take their meds without the prompting of a relative.

everything you put on a pip form / esa form is open to interpretation and the question is not can you do the task but can you do it repeatedly and reliably for the majority of the time.

sorry if I have offended anyone but away to deal with both family and work emergencies
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2016 08:09PM by Monic1511 »

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Monic, I'm sure you are very careful when helping peole fill in the claim forms, but I know that so many people are given the 'bad day' advice. I have already had it from several different people who have encouraged me to claim AA for my Mum. Even though I know that she does not yet qualify for it.

MEdawn

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
Thankyou to those who've been supporting me. 

I've deliberately had a quiet week with pj days planned in so that a) I could say that this was my third pj day out of 5 and b) I was rested ready for what I knew would be an exhausting time.  I'd left the washing up since monday (when my cleaners were here) and had also made a list of what I'd eaten, which included such delights as chocolate for lunch as I'd run out of energy and proper food at that point. 
I'd also printed off photos of the last time I scalded my hand when pouring boiling water, and also of when I forgot to turn my electric cooker element off and charred a copy of the Radio Times. 

The person who came out was really nice, she did appear to understand and was reasonably sympathetic.  Once we'd done my ID, she just basically asked me the questions that are on the form and I did my best to answer with a bit of help when I needed it from my support person.  I had printed off all my papers that I'd sent in, but hardly referred to them, which in hindsight is good as I suppose it reinforces that I was talking about it as it really is.  I did say I'd come close to squeezing excema cream instead of eye cream into my eyes as I'd picked up the wrong tube and not really noticed till I was about to do it (and they're very different sizes), at that point she started to really question me about how good I am at taking my meds on my own and I realised that I do forget if I do things in a different order. 

At the end I had to do a peak flow (I'm a chronic asthmatic as well as having ME) and she let me do that sitting down as I was feeling really crap by that point.  She then said that she would normally ask people to stand while she tested their muscles but I could sit if I needed to - which I did!  By this point my muscles were feeling about as floppy as overcooked spaghetti, I am really glad she did that at the end of the test not the beginning when they would have been much better. 

What was really interesting was seeing the reaction of my support person as I got more exhausted during the interview, she's someone I know reasonably well but who has always seen me out at things, knitting group or her house or at mine when I've been up to doing things.  (the person who was going to support me couldn't when the date was changed and she has seen me exhausted)  Although she "knew" I got really bad, it was a huge shock to her as she watched me deteriorate and when the person had gone she went and did all the washing up and made sure I was ok to get back to bed.  She also left me sandwiches and containers of fruit so I could eat when I woke up. 

The woman from Atos only saw my entrance and living room, I thought she might want to actually see the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom to check that I'd listed aids etc but she didn't.  Maybe if I'd been more mobile she might have asked to see how I got into bed etc but as it was she never asked me to move from the settee.  She also asked to see all my meds but I said they were in a drawer in my bedroom (and was happy for her to go and look with my support person) but she then just asked if anything had changed since I'd sent the list in and crossed off the one thing I'd stopped. 

So, I felt that she believed me and respected how I was, I certainly didn't feel forced into standing or anything like that.  As they stress in the paperwork she's not the person who makes the decision so it's up to them once they get her report, apparently I will hear in 6-8 weeks.  My support person felt that it went as well as it could and if I don't get a reasonable result she's happy to help me appeal (and as she works in a primary school with SEN children she's well used to official paperwork!)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I would be very surprised if you didn't get a positive result after all that - keeping  >x-fingers< for you (and at least that part of the whole business is out of the way!) Look after yourself now..

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
 >x-fingers< >hugs<

lostfamily

• Gold Member
So glad that the interview went well for you Will keep praying that they will award you all that you should be awarded
Reading this i am not sure if DH will get a home visit as his is more pain my friend came over yesterday & said he looks ill because he was in so much pain he tends to push himself more than he should
With us we just have to wait to see
You did put Atos i thought they lost the contract & it Capital or something similar name

MEdawn

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
Well she had an ATOS lanyard for her ID, but I suppose it could have changed, I never actually checked her ID. 

Mine is partly pain, partly exhaustion.  If he's going to struggle with getting to a centre and remember you have to factor in journey time both ways as well plus waiting around time, it might be better to contact them now and explain.  Re-reading my notes I had also said I might need to lie on the floor after a bit if I was struggling with sitting in a chair.  Maybe think about it and give them a ring? 

So far all the people I've spoken to, original call to register, person who I spoke to when they needed to rearrange the appointment and the person who came out, have all been really lovely and as helpful as they can be.  Once it's all finished (however it goes) I will give some positive feedback, I'd complain if they'd been demeaning or nasty so it's only fair to complement too (and I bet they don't get many of those) - they are only people doing their best to do a job.

lostfamily

• Gold Member
So far we only done the forms which they received on 15th January 2016
On the forms we asked for an home assessment he had a letter which says about home visit & other bits these are just standard send out letters so we see how long we have to wait & what they say

With him it not just pain he don't sleep as he says he dreads going to bed as he in even more pain at present the Dr has taken him off his Satintani  (Cholestrole) to see if that is affecting his pain he had some years ago had morphine patches but all they did was either not work either side of time frame & made him sleep so he was like a zombie but as i say can only wait & see what they say

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
ATOS lost the ESA contract, that is now run by Maximus (who are calling themselves something else) while ATOS and Capita share the PIP contract.