PIP - More than 50%

• 3 Replies

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

PIP - More than 50%

• on: 04 Feb 2016 03:06AM
I should know this but my brain's not in gear.

Ok, so to get points for something you have to meet the relevant criterion more than 50% of the time.

Let's say that you meet the relevant criterion for 200 days a year, but for only part of the day, does that meet the 50% threshold?

What if it's every day but only 49% of the day?

My instinctive interpretation is that it's how many days and that if it's not all day, then you can still hit the target with the reliably, repeatedly stuff.

Am I right?

(I'm thinking of mobility and night-blindness.)
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Monic1511

Re: PIP - More than 50%

• on: 04 Feb 2016 07:41PM
Hi

your right but if it goes to an appeal you need to be careful

when I've talked about this with other welfare rights staff they say the tribunals are looking at how many days a week your affected by the fluctuating condition, rather than its a 30 minute period of one day

so the person has fibromyalgia but is only unable to walk or care for themselves 3 times a week - that's less than half the week but we would argue that the effects are there all the time

your 200 days is more than 50% of the time but you would need to convince the panel that your not cured by the afternoon.  That's the scenario when someone tells the panel "Oh I'm fine in the morning but nackered by 2pm"  I want to throttle them cos they end up talking themselves out of the award.

sorry I'm rambling so better leave it there
;-)

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member

• on: 04 Feb 2016 09:24PM
(I'm thinking of mobility and night-blindness.)

Although this is not explicit in the regulations, I would worry that any Decision Maker would also look at how often it's necessary to be out and about when it's dark. They might say that although you are unable to find your way outdoors 50% of the time, the majority of that 50% happens during a time that most households have closed down for the night, and you can ameliorate the issue by not going out at 3am. If you think only of the time night blindness occurs during the normal daytime* that's only the winter months, which is not 50% of the time. In summer, you can be out and about till around 10pm, depending which part of the twilight the blindness kicks in.

*(approx 7am to 10pm it used to be, before they changed to "when the household has closed down" - a nonsense for people with autistic children who don't sleep! Their household has been retimetabled so it does not shut down, but I digress...)

This isn't something I think they are "allowed" to say, but I don't think it will mean they won't. If you have a reason, other than your right to have a life, that you need to be able to be moving around outdoors in the night, it would need to be really clear.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 07 Feb 2016 06:33PM
Belated thanks for the replies.

I think it would pay me to look at a seasonal dusk time calendar.

I think overcast days are also relevant.  It doesn't have to be dark, just dim.  E.g. if I were to say that street lighting isn't sufficient, that would give you an idea of how much it can affect me.  So heavy overcast weather is increasingly a problem.

Homework, then.

This is all thinking ahead, and much can change.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)