DLA renewal - 'help', 'difficulty' and extra sheets

• 5 Replies

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
In the midst of everything else, I'm now ploughing through my DLA renewal.

I take it the method for adding extra sheets is the same as for an ESA form - name, DOB, NI number and question reference at the top of each separate piece of paper. I'm using a copy of my old form as a guide, but have spotted some things which could be explained in greater detail.

I've also noticed that on the new form the questions that used to read "I have difficuty or need help with X" are split now into two parts - "I have difficulty with X" and "I need help with X". I take it that "difficulty" refers to things which you need to use aids and adaptations to accomplish, and "help" refers to things you could do only were help available from another person .

Sorry for all the questions. Was intending to have this done weeks ago, but got side-tracked by the compliance visit. The deadline for submitting the form is getting uncomfortably close, but I can't see the community centre advice worker until Monday week, so thought I'd try making a start on the questions relating to physical needs, and leave the triggery MH stuff for my appointment.

Thanks in advance, as always >hugs<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Hi NN, what a PITA for you!  :-(

I'm not too sure about the splitting of questions into 2 parts, I haven't come across that before, but your interpretation certainly makes sense to me.

As far as the extra sheets - Yes, name, NI No and question number at top of page +/- DOB. Separate page/s for each questions. Lower right hand corner of each sheet marked '1 of 15' etc.

Good luck (not that it should have anything to do with luck)!  >hugs<

Monic1511

Hi, is it a DLA renewal or a PIP form? Everyone in my area use gets PIP forms now,  your right about the name Nino and question number though

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
It's a DLA form. PIP isn't fully rolled out over here yet.

>Edit: Adding link and quote for clarity.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip

Personal Independence Payment will be introduced in Northern Ireland on 20 June 2016.  From that date, people aged 16 to 64 years will no longer be able to claim Disability Living Allowance.  Existing Disability Living Allowance claimants  aged 16 to 64 years, whose benefit is due to come to an end or who report a change in their needs, will be contacted about reassessment for PIP from 20 June 2016 onwards. 

Those claimants with an indefinite or lifetime award for DLA will not be contacted until December 2016 at the earliest, and they will all be invited to claim PIP by December 2018.

« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2016 09:07AM by NeuralgicNeurotic »

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
May I suggest an alternative approach I've taken in the past with DLA application forms (although I've only done two, because the second got indefinite) and AA applications.  I've also used it with applications for other benefits including IB and ESA.  Perhaps Monic would be kind enough to say whether she agrees with this approach.

First, look up the criteria, then copy and paste them into a word processing document.  You may want to make two copies, one to save and one to work with.

This is because my simple rule when applying for any benefit is:-

Answer the questions they should have asked, not just those that they did ask.

Then on the form,  in any box where you're not certain, or you don't think there's enough space, or you think the question won't enable you to give the right answer, write 'see attached' and put a longer answer as an appendix/supplement.

Make sure the replies you put are worded in such a way as to press the right buttons.  Let me take a fictional example.  Let us say they ask "Do you have difficulty skipping?"  Let us suppose the criteria say you get 10 points if you can only skip on one leg and only on Tuesdays, 5 points if you can skip on only one leg or only on Tuesdays, and 0 points if you can skip on both legs or on a day other than Tuesdays.  If you simply wrote "I find it very difficult skipping because I find I can't always use both legs and can't manage it every day," you're not hitting the right buttons, but if you wrote "I find it very difficult skipping because I only manage it on Tuesday mornings and I can't manage to use my right leg for skipping, so I can only skip on one leg," you'd hit the jackpot.

If you find that none of the questions on the form (other than an any other information type box) gives you enough scope to tell them all that you want to tell them to ensure they know you meet the criteria, add a further section to your appendix.  Whether you do it as an intro or as a postscript is a matter of preference.

Then, when you've finished, put the headings you suggest, less the question replied to, which you put as a sub-heading where relevant, plus a page number on each page including the form itself.  That's to say that you start your numbering on your covering letter (if you're enclosing one) then continue on their form (and I haven't seen a DLA form for ages but some DWP forms don't number the cover page but you number it so that your page 3 might be their page 1) 

Your numbering should include the final number so they've no excuse for 'losing' the last part of it and pretending they didn't know you'd sent it. 

So the numbering goes, e.g. P1 of 40, P2 of 40 or whatever, with the final page labelled 'last' as well. 

I've just dug out my copy of my last DLA application - just under 1cm thick. 

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
That looks like pretty sound advice, Sunny. Thanks.

Thanks also to Hurty and Monic for replying (just realised I forgot to fo this last night).

>bighugs<