DLA to PIP and ESA 2 FORM QUERY?

• 4 Replies

redhead

DLA to PIP and ESA 2 FORM QUERY?

• on: 09 Mar 2016 07:26PM
My wife is currently receiving DLA received a letter this week of notification from DLA to PIP. She currently doesn't receive mobility although I believe she should due to her limited mobility due to spine problems. Checking the PIP criteria for enhanced mobility I believe that she requires 12 points to qualify?

"She can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres", she requires a walking stick and myself for extra support (holding onto) for up to 20 metres, for distances further than 50 metres she relies on a transport type wheelchair, so I presume she would get 10 points for this (hopefully)?

The planning and following journeys criteria not sure if she qualifies for this? But she cannot complete a journey without my assistance i.e extra support or pushing her wheelchair. So any idea if she qualifies for points for this criteria?

She also received an ESA2 form the next day, which had a 10 day to return the form. I contacted my local Welfare Rights for assistance to complete this form, but due to the short time to return the form they could not help are there any other organisations that would help to complete these forms?

Tesla

• Silver Member

Re: DLA to PIP and ESA 2 FORM QUERY?

• on: 10 Mar 2016 08:53AM
It's possible to ask for an extension on the due date for the ESA form. I had to do it today. Although the drone on the phone was vague she said it had been put through that it would be coming in late and said that was it done.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 10 Mar 2016 12:11PM
Welcome to Ouch Too redhead  :-)

The ESA2 form is the income assessment part of a Employment and Support assessment and it has to be filled in before you get an ESA50 form that is used to assess a person's physical and mental capacity to work. Did you look through the ESA2 form and see if it was possible to answer the questions yourself? Are there any you are stuck on that we might be able to help with? Once you get an ESA50 form you should get 28 days to fill it in but it would be worth trying to get an appointment with someone in Welfare Rights for when the form arrives.

Checking the PIP criteria for enhanced mobility I believe that she requires 12 points to qualify?

Yes that is correct.

"She can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres", she requires a walking stick and myself for extra support (holding onto) for up to 20 metres, for distances further than 50 metres she relies on a transport type wheelchair, so I presume she would get 10 points for this (hopefully)?

Yes I think that would be 10 points. It is worth looking at how far you wife can walk without your extra support because needing a person is different to using an aid like a walking stick. A walking stick gives independence but needing a person's help is dependence - if that makes sense.

The planning and following journeys criteria not sure if she qualifies for this? But she cannot complete a journey without my assistance i.e extra support or pushing her wheelchair. So any idea if she qualifies for points for this criteria?

Planning and following a journey relates more to a person's mental and sensory capacity to get from A to B than physical mobility. For example a blind person using a guide dog. I dont think needing you physical help to be mobile would mean your wife met this criteria.

:-)

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 10 Mar 2016 04:02PM
Hi and welcome Redhead  >biggrin<

I agree with Sunshine, the 'going out' descriptor relates to people with mental health, sensory and cognitive problems.

Monic1511

• on: 10 Mar 2016 08:27PM
Hi Redhead
Phone and ask for the extension to the return date
You only get the highest points in each criteria not a combination of both and your Mrs needs 12 points for enhanced mobility

You said you push her wheelchair, can she move around the house using sticks or does she use the chair indoors?  if she can move from one room to another using sticks they might be awkward and say she doesn't meet the mobilising up to 20 meters
You won't get virtually unable to work if you can move more than 20 meters.

sorry brains starting to fail -I will come back tomorrow if I remember  :-(