The dreaded DLA to PIP transfer

• 293 Replies

Monic1511

Re: The dreaded DLA to PIP transfer

• on: 18 Aug 2016 08:43PM
Fiz
please calm yourself or barring that find some chocolate / tea / wine - well maybe not that

what has happened is that your phone call has put your claim at the top of the pile, a decision has been made and an email sent to the local authority saying there is a decision to award PIP.  The council has logged into the DWP view only system and updated their accounts to make sure your getting the correct benefit.  PIP's computers will generate an 8 page letter and it gets posted to you second class so about 6 days to get to you.  The council will not tell you the award amount they need to wait on the paper decision arriving.
so probably Monday

take care
Monic

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 19 Aug 2016 05:42PM
Begs the question, why does it take the DWP eight or so days to issue the decision letter whereas Councils seem to be able to inform within two or three?

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 20 Aug 2016 06:20PM
Letter arrived explaining it all. They're certainly tight/mean on points! I can see so many people struggling to get it now at all. Filling in the online questionnaire on B&W answering all questions totally honestly I scored 36 for living. The DWP awarded me 16.

Mobility I got 6 so nothing and I think that truly reflects how I am, sometimes (a lot) not being able to travel but a few times I can. The DWP man was encouraging me to challenge the mobility score but it's something that fluctuates greatly for me so for the peace of mind of not thinking I should be notifying the DWP of any improvement, I'm okay with no mobility. So I'm not going to ask for a reconsideration although I think my GP would disagree.

Anyway, I'm happy with the decision on which part of PIP I should receive but the points they awarded were nothing like mine! This award is until June 2019. Overall, I'm happy and I have almost 3 years before needing to face this again. Unless I miraculously recover.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 20 Aug 2016 09:22PM
Three years is good - I don't know how long an average PIP award lasts compared with DLA, but it sounds like a decent breathing space.  Glad you got a decision you can live with  >thumbsup<

Monic1511

• on: 20 Aug 2016 09:29PM
Hi Fiz
Enhanced daily living is the same as high rate care so you should get disability premium and enhanced disability premium on your ESA, a pip award gets you a disabled bus pass no matter what award,  as for the mobility if all we are looking for is another 2 points, it's a case of explaining that you cannot plan or follow an unfamiliar route without the assistance of another person, I know your reluctant to do this but a short letter saying you would like to know why they think you can travel to unfamiliar places alone when you are frequently unable to leave the house due to the trauma any social interaction causes you.

Obviously it's up to you but I would think it worth asking for an explanation
Best wishes
Monic

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 23 Aug 2016 12:50PM
 Fiz >bighugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 02 Nov 2016 03:12PM
I had a lady from the council come to my house today to complete an application for DHP for me. We discussed my PIP award and she is certain that I should have been given the standard rate of mobility due to the pain I have in my back and how it affects acts of daily living even with the home. Even if you can walk at 'normal' pace to the local shops, if the whole of that walk is painful or you need strong painkillers to be able to make that journey, then the award should be made. She said she'd help me appeal but I think it's passed the time allowed and I simply don't have the mental strength.

Something to bear in mind when completing forms in the future though and I thought I'd mention it here because that info might help others.

Monic1511

• on: 02 Nov 2016 09:57PM
Fiz, she is thinking of DLA criteria not pip criteria, go and read the criteria for 8 points and the see if you meet any of the criteria but if you are more than a month from the decision date then it's a late appeal and you'll need good grounds, but be sure as your risking the award you have.
Monic

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 03 Nov 2016 04:40PM
Yes I was given 6 points for mobility in the PIP assessment and I'd no intention of questioning it. She's helped with PIP appeals though and has to date always been successful. She's in the process of switching from DLA to PIP herself. But when I did the online tests my results were either 6 or 8 so it's a close call and not one I will question.

Big Muff

• Silver Member

• on: 23 Jan 2017 02:58PM
well just completed the wifes PIP form for the transfer fro DLA. It really is a depressing experience plus is it just me or are some of the question / answer sections skewed to get you to go for lower points scoring answer

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 23 Jan 2017 04:14PM
Best of luck, Big Muff. Hope you and your wife get the right decision.  >hugs< >x-fingers<

Big Muff

• Silver Member

• on: 23 Jan 2017 09:15PM
Cheers NN

should be HR for both components but who knows what the result will be. The big problem is that she has no contact with any health professionals except approx. once per year with her GP so not much independent evidence.
Not helped by the fact she will go "oh yes I can do that" when actually she can't .Though to be fair had this worry when filled in her last WCA (if still called that) yet that came back as straight in support group with no face to face assesment

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 24 Jan 2017 02:16PM
I don't know if it works for PIP, but for DLA & ESA, I included evidence other than from health professionals treating/assessing/helping me.  Examples include:- local 'community leaders', spiritual leaders, retired professionals, former employers etc.

Let me give a random example of the sort of thing I might consider.  (Not an actual one I've used but very similar.)  Let's say I want to establish that I fall over a lot.   I could exchange a few words with various people who have seen me having lots of falls but who aren't friends to see whether any (a) would look impressive on paper, and (b) would be willing to write something.  It's amazing how many people, particularly retired people, you can bump into that look credible.  I don't mean by themselves, I mean collectively.  One might have fancy notepaper, one might have a string of letters after their name. 

I remember for one thing contacting someone I'd known when younger who'd been a witness to something and his writing a statement and pointing out that since he's now a notary public (which I hadn't realised until then), as a matter of law, what he says in a formal statement has to be accepted as true unless a  judge rules otherwise.  I daresay there are ifs and buts, but you get the idea. 

So it's not just whether you've got medical evidence, it's whether can find credible witnesses, like you might when suing someone or defending yourself. 

They don't prove the cause of it, but then you may have separate, even if old, evidence of that.

I say that without prejudice to the sheer madness of the assessment process.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Big Muff

• Silver Member

• on: 01 Feb 2017 09:45PM
the wife has little contact with other people but really the face to face assesment should make the decision obvious = but I know that ain't necessarily the case.

I still remember being in a jobcentre and you could hear a Personal Adviser ranting about an ATOS decision on one of her clients the only repeatable comment being "where the hell  do they find these idiots"

AndMac

• Charter Member

• on: 13 Feb 2017 06:31PM
I had a bulky brown envelope arrive today and thought 'Oh here it is, my transfer invite'  ... but it wasn't. It was a letter informing me I would be getting 75p a week extra from April.

Mentioning this here as anyone else awaiting transfer may have the same sinking feeling unnecessarily if they get the same letter, and then take a minute or two to re-adjust, when they realise.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker