The dreaded DLA to PIP transfer

• 293 Replies

Monic1511

Re: The dreaded DLA to PIP transfer

• on: 21 Jul 2017 02:53PM
Hi,
It's both really as there have been decisions since pip that changed the interpretation of some criteria. Government made some and some changes are due to commissioner decisions.  >doh< >steam<

SashaQ

• Charter Member

• on: 27 Jul 2017 07:08PM
I've received a letter to say they've received my information, which is good, so I'm just waiting for the next step...  >sheep<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 27 Jul 2017 07:32PM
 >x-fingers< >hugs<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 27 Jul 2017 07:39PM
Good.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Jul 2017 09:14AM
It's both really as there have been decisions since pip that changed the interpretation of some criteria. Government made some and some changes are due to commissioner decisions.  >doh< >steam<

Some great news, Mr Sunshine got enhanced care and enhanced mobility  >biggrin< I hope it means there has been changes to the interpretation of some criteria and they are changes for the better. It is worth mentioning that I did not send much supporting information because we did not have much but after the assessment at home I did send prove of home much Mr Sunshine had been off work in the past year because of the affects of Bipolar disorder.

Currently he gets more PIP than I get in DLA and it has made me feel a bit weird. The money will help pay for the higher cost we have because of disability (so if my sister is reading this  >bleep<off with your assumptions and judgements)

>x-fingers< >thumbsup< >hugs< everyone

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Jul 2017 09:31AM
Some great news, Mr Sunshine got enhanced care and enhanced mobility  >biggrin< I hope it means there has been changes to the interpretation of some criteria and they are changes for the better.

Brilliant news!  >star< >bubbly<

Currently he gets more PIP than I get in DLA and it has made me feel a bit weird. The money will help pay for the higher cost we have because of disability (so if my sister is reading this  >bleep<off with your assumptions and judgements)

>hugs<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Jul 2017 09:41AM
Woo-hoo, fantastic result  >bubbly<   >magic<  I confess to being curious as to the enhanced mobility though - did he receive this purely on mental health grounds (if you don't mind the ask) because I didn't even qualify for standard mobility.  My understanding was that - well, at the time of my PIP transfer claim, this was, last December - it was near impossible to get an award of any mobility element if one 'only' had mental illness... unless the criteria have been re-written to be less restrictive in this area, of course!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Jul 2017 11:49AM
NN.

>hugs<

Kizzy,

The Mobility award included points for physical limitations because of the motorcycle accident he had. They must have got in touch with the hospital physio he has been going to because on the last DLA claim he only got lower rate mobility. It is weird how I worry about saying this in public is going to somehow mean his claim is reviewed but I know we were honest on the forms and so it is important people know how he got enhanced mobility.

Looking through the points he got a lot of 1 and 2 points which added up to just enough to get him both enhanced. It goes to show it is worth putting everything on the form and adding written descriptions of what happens. If he lived alone he would more than likely go down hill quickly, off his meds and in huge debt as people took advantage of his generosity. A lodger we had years ago once convinced him to lend him the money to buy a car and it morphed into Mr Sunshine getting the car on a credit card  >doh<. I found out the lodger did not keep paying the payments and went  >angry< >steam< >yikes< sorted it out and gave the lodger the boot.

Any person claiming on mental health grounds who lives alone is put at a disadvantage when describing their situation because it seems there is an assumption that living alone = coping.

>bighugs<

SashaQ

• Charter Member

• on: 28 Jul 2017 05:00PM
More good news from me - I got my results letter today, what a surprise at the speed!  Standard Care and Enhanced Mobility, and a points breakdown so I can see it is as I had hoped it would be  >thumbsup<

Phew... 

Here's hoping other Ouchers have similarly good experiences  >x-fingers<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 28 Jul 2017 06:29PM
Hey Sasha - so pleased for you, and an ultra-quick decision too.... Sweet  >cool<

Sunshine -  >tah< for the info re Mr S's mobility award, obviously the accident was an important factor...

Looking through the points he got a lot of 1 and 2 points which added up to just enough to get him both enhanced. It goes to show it is worth putting everything on the form and adding written descriptions of what happens

I'd second that - the more the DWP have, even if it's 'self-provided' evidence, the better!

(As for that lodger, how evil to prey on someone vulnerable for financial gain  >angry<  Let's hope that karma bites him really hard in the arse for that contemptible action.)

Any person claiming on mental health grounds who lives alone is put at a disadvantage when describing their situation because it seems there is an assumption that living alone = coping.

Ah - now that might not always be the case, because I've lived on me tod for over thirty years now and I received an award of DLA higher rate care in 2007.  This was effectively continued for my PIP award - enhanced daily living rate, which is the equivalent.  Better than I anticipated, so I wasn't going to make a fuss about losing the mobility component  ;-)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 29 Jul 2017 07:43AM
Sasha,

Thank you for sharing the good news  >star< I hope it was a longer term award.

Mr Sunshine;s award is for four years and we are fine with that after all his level of disbility level could reduce if treatment improves his situation.

Kizzy,

I was a bit worried about maybe being too gloomy about people living alone so it is good you posted about your experience. I do have a online friend who gets help from the charity RETHINK and it makes a difference to his benefit awards

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member

• on: 29 Jul 2017 03:18PM
More good news from me - I got my results letter today, what a surprise at the speed!  Standard Care and Enhanced Mobility, and a points breakdown so I can see it is as I had hoped it would be  >thumbsup<

Phew... 

Here's hoping other Ouchers have similarly good experiences  >x-fingers<

>star< >magic< >bubbly<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 29 Jul 2017 05:42PM
 >biggrin<

seegee

• Super Hero Member

• on: 29 Jul 2017 08:25PM
Hi everyone - I haven't been online much in recent months so have no idea how anyone is or what's been happening; hope all's as well as possible for all of you.   >bighugs<

I have been through the PIPs thing since I last posted, it was all a bit weird.  >erm<
The "Your DLA is ending" letter came early last November I think; I've been getting LRC DLA for a few years, "indefinitely". 
When I'd finished howling & bashing my head I phoned someone I know who works for a charity not far away.  He said he would help & as I go there most weeks, he'd make the call for me... as it turned out, another person there made the phone call, which went OK as I didn't have to say much, most was done for me (I don't do well on phone to strangers, confusion & anxiety). 

I made an appointment with the first person for a couple of weeks later, took the form & copies of stuff from hospitals, social services, an ex-employer, etc.... spent the afternoon sitting on the office floor crying while he copied my papers & went through the form, asking me questions & filling it in.  It took so long that it was past time to lock up the building, so he put everything in the envelope, sealed it & gave it to me to post before locking up; that meant I had copies of everything that was sent apart from the form itself, which I had signed without reading (no time)!  That caused me some worry over the next few weeks, as I'd signed the form but had little idea what was on it.  That was mid-November

In early January I got a letter telling me I had an appointment for a HOME assessment, which was a complete shock & caused more anxiety.  I asked my brother to come & sit in on the interview, as I knew I wouldn't be likely to remember any of it, would feel easier if someone I know was there - and he wouldn't try to talk for me if I forgot things. 

Mid-January was the interview, woman from Atos in my chaotic-looking flat (normal) asking me whatever-it-was...

Early February I got a decision letter, stating that from 1st March 2017 I'm entitled to Enhanced Rate Daily Living (15 points) and Standard Rate Mobility (10 points) for 3 years. 
That was another shock & difficult emotionally reading through the things that are hard/ painful/ tiring/ confusing but which mostly I just do (not aiming to be pain-free, my brain's slow enough without strong sedatives).  I'm sure most of you who have been through this have had the "is this really me?".  I almost felt as if I should contest the idea that I need help with planning/ following a journey...   

Total time from first letter to getting the decision was about 3 months, with another 3-4 weeks before my PIP entitlement started.  DLA was paid for the time up to PIP beginning.  The whole process was peculiar & I still have no clue why I was interviewed at home. 
I'm not far from Manchester, I don't know if the process is running similarly in other areas.  I live alone too. 

Monic1511

• on: 29 Jul 2017 08:39PM
Seegee

The person who filled in your form did a good job and must have asked for home visit, by way has with your ESA gone up as your now entitled to a premium (SDP) to be added - its 62.15 per week so ask some one to check your ESA is being paid the correct rate.

Monic