Permitted Work

• 3 Replies

WeDesign

• Gold Member

Permitted Work

• on: 30 Aug 2016 03:11PM
I am currently doing Permitted work at the lower rate of up to 20 per week and have done so since 2004, I have been through 2 Assessments.

Can I do the upper limit of up to 115.50 per week or do I need to notify the DWP?  I am in the support group of ESA.

Monic1511

Re: Permitted Work

• on: 30 Aug 2016 10:01PM
Yes
you should really keep them in the loop, if they find out after you have increased your work they are likely to treat it as a change of circumstances and send you an esa50.
If you discuss it first with a disability assessor at jobcentre or your work coach if you have one and say I'm thinking about this then its less likely to cause them to send an ESA50,  if you can increase your hours gradually then do that.
I suppose it depends which of the support group criteria you meet, if its something that's never gonna change then you should be safe.

I will check some more later in the week
best wishes
Monic

WeDesign

• Gold Member

• on: 31 Aug 2016 08:38AM
Yes
you should really keep them in the loop, if they find out after you have increased your work they are likely to treat it as a change of circumstances and send you an esa50.
If you discuss it first with a disability assessor at jobcentre or your work coach if you have one and say I'm thinking about this then its less likely to cause them to send an ESA50,  if you can increase your hours gradually then do that.
I suppose it depends which of the support group criteria you meet, if its something that's never gonna change then you should be safe.

I will check some more later in the week
best wishes
Monic

I met the criteria of not able to mobilise 50m.

Is there an email address available to contact them on,  should I only start my increased hours once I have received a reply from them?

Regards.

Monic1511

• on: 31 Aug 2016 08:31PM
Hi
unfortunately there is no email address, you would need to contact the main DWP office - 0845-608-8545 - I think - sorry left my phone list at work.
I'd phone the DWP ESA team and ask for an appointment with a work coach at the local jobcentre, be very careful that you are not reporting a change of circumstances relating to your health but wish to discuss your permitted work situation - many of the call handlers at the ESA phone team will have never heard of permitted work and will think that you want to close your claim cos you're working.

I'd not change your situation until you get the ok from the work coach, the CPAG book says this
"Permitted work allows you to try out work within certain limits. You do not need to obtain permission from the DWP to do permitted work. However, as you should notify the DWP of any change of circumstances that may affect your benefits, it is best to let them know as soon as you start the work.  Providing you work within the stated limits, any earnings from permitted work will not generally affect other benefits you are receiving.  There are 3 types of permitted work.   Permitted work lower limit, Supported permitted work and Permitted work higher limit" - I think this is the group you want to be in but the book says "This is designed to test your ability to work before you move permanently into employment. You can earn up to 115.50 a week and must work LESS than 16 hours a week"

hope that helps
Monic